FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lefty Concert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lefty Concert
    Posted: 14 November 2012 at 3:43pm
Well tomorrow we go to the Springsteen concert in Omaha. Present from momma. Will just go "La,La,La..." when he does his usual 'political moment'. Too bad he went from working class Jersey Shore boy to Rich Lefty Liberal politico. Wonder if he pays taxes at the current Bush rate, or the rate he wants everyone else to pay to 'prove' that it 'does not hurt'.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 4:35pm
It always seemed to me that, were you to vote in a purely self interested way, you'd vote left wing when you're poor and right wing when you make it.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 11:18pm
Never been a fan of Springsteen, but then again I'm not from Jersey or NY. Oddly, I'm not sure that I've ever heard anyone that I know say they actually like his music. Anyways. I would love to see something on how much some of these celebs actually give of their own money. I mean, nothing is stopping them. I'm sure you could give as much money as you want to the government. I would wager that every single one of these guys takes advantage of every tax break and loophole that they can find.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 8:38am
I'm sure most celebrities just pay their accountant and sign the proper forms
Que pasa?

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Never been a fan of Springsteen, but then again I'm not from Jersey or NY. Oddly, I'm not sure that I've ever heard anyone that I know say they actually like his music. 

I don't like his music and I'm from NY. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:10am
It's a generation thing. His early work is great, Greetings from Asbury Park to The River, only new one I really like is the song Wrecking Ball, the album is so,so.   his later politcal/social musical commentary concept albums suck. From Blue colar working man to rich Liberal politico, the metamorphisis to an Elite Liberal, the rules are for YOU, not for me, go Obama.

Early Springsteen, Southside Johnny, the old Jersey shore bands were great in the small clubs in NYC. Still try and see Southside Johnny when I am in the area, too bad he won't tour this far west.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:56am
My judgement of his music is solely based on what is played on the radio. Never heard anything that interested me enough to look into anything else. Probably growing up in Florida in the 70/80's probably limited what I heard as he really just wasnt very popular. At least not with the crowd I ran with. Don't think I even heard of him until the mid to late 80's. He is one of those bands/acts that I could just never understand the hype about. I put him in about the same category as John Mellencamp. Hated his music and couldnt understand why in the hell people liked it so much.  
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 11:39am
I'm with OS on this.  His early stuff was great and the newer stuff is definitely not so great.  Sadly, his overt political BS has even made me enjoy his older stuff less.

I pay people like this to entertain me . . . not to preach to me -- and I don't care which side of the political spectrum they are on when I want them to shut the heck up.  (I.e., I find Nugent just as annoying as Springsteen.)
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:54pm
Can't you just go to the show and have fun? Ya know, leave the politics at the door and just have a good time.

Edited by Apu - 15 November 2012 at 1:54pm
I need a new Sig...
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:55pm
I like his music, but mostly because my Dad got me into it. Most people my age don't know his music. I really like his "Jersey Girl" but its mostly the mainstream Bruce I listen to. I saw him in 2008 I think in the old Giants Stadium. Was a good time.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:20pm
I would never have thought a Bruce Springsteen show would be described as a "leftyy concert". Not that I know anything about the guy or his views etc. Just surprising.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:21pm
Went outside yesterday, wind was blowing to the left, went back inside. Damn lefty wind.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Apu Apu wrote:

Can't you just go to the show and have fun? Ya know, leave the politics at the door and just have a good time.

Depends on the artist and whether or not they start "preaching."

Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Went outside yesterday, wind was blowing to the left, went back inside. Damn lefty wind.

Wouldn't have been easier to just face in the opposite direction?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 10:01am
You go to a concert for the music,not the lecture which he is known to do time to time. End of intitial fear of concert.

Otherwise, great show, he did 6 songs from the Nebraska Album, his three obligatory protest songs, and the rest were just a mix of old and new, with a few real oldies.

'Waiting on a Summer' day he pulled a young maybe 10 year old girl from the audience for the 'solo' and she could not carry a tune in a basket, but she thrilled the crowd with her try. And the 'Dancing in the Dark' dance was a young lady with a sign "I love you Bruce, but I want to dance with Max", and that's what happened, first time ever, Bruce had to play drums as Max was dancing. And the first seasonal "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

This was the first time I have seen the band since Danny and Clarence passed, Jake Clarence's nephew is right up there with 'The Big Man'. The fianle, "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" brough the place to silence with the line:
"When the change was made uptown
And The Big Man joined the Band"
And a still of Clarence and a montage of Bruce and Clarence flashed across the junmbotron. I closed my eyes and remembered all the times I saw them together and the friendship they displayed, and Jake then wisped his sax in the mix, emotional moment.

He carried the crowd, crowd walked several times, the energy of old was there, and 3 hours 6min straight, no set breaks at all.

A lot of old memories, the music of my late 20's, I don't like his politics, but shutting my eyes for a few moments here and there, it was a good look back.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic