Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Life Update

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Arsenal FC Fan

Joined: 07 July 2002
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3808
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Life Update
    Posted: 13 November 2012 at 8:10am
Haven't been on these forums in awhile, but I thought I'd give a little life update. I moved from Sasebo, Japan to Naples, Italy over the summer. Still in the Navy, just on shore duty now. I'll be leaving Naples next year to go back to the states, most likely to Pax River, Maryland. I'm starting to miss the states and the convenience of doing anything so easily.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing...what's everyone else been up to?
Back to Top
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Joined: 10 June 2002
Location: Under Your Bed
Status: Offline
Points: 10954
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 10:03am
Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

I'll be leaving Naples next year to go back to the states, most likely to Pax River, Maryland.


Dude, if you do get x-fered to Pax NAS, let me know! Shorty and I go to the range near La Plata which is just up the road from there.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Back to Top
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Arsenal FC Fan

Joined: 07 July 2002
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3808
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

I'll be leaving Naples next year to go back to the states, most likely to Pax River, Maryland.


Dude, if you do get x-fered to Pax NAS, let me know! Shorty and I go to the range near La Plata which is just up the road from there.


Will do, I actually went to La Plata a few times when I was stationed in Dahlgren. To be honest, I miss the tidewater area.
Back to Top
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Arsenal FC Fan

Joined: 07 July 2002
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3808
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 4:44pm
Also, I can't believe I missed my 10 year forum anniversary.
Back to Top
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2982
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

Haven't been on these forums in awhile, but I thought I'd give a little life update. I moved from Sasebo, Japan to Naples, Italy over the summer. Still in the Navy, just on shore duty now. I'll be leaving Naples next year to go back to the states, most likely to Pax River, Maryland. I'm starting to miss the states and the convenience of doing anything so easily.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing...what's everyone else been up to?
When my buddy was in the Navy, he told us that Naples was the armpit of the Med.  Is that pretty much still the case?
Back to Top
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Commie Canuck

Joined: 01 June 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 30746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:56pm
Naples eh? That place is insane and dirty, but pretty great at the same time. How did you end up in a place like that and not somewhere less.....theft and murder-y?

If you haven't yet you've got to go see the "secret" museum at the anthro museum there.

As for me? I now intern here, at frog as an Interaction Designer. Living in downtown Seattle as a result which isn't bad. It's nice being a 10 minute walk from my office/ most things I need.
Back to Top
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Arsenal FC Fan

Joined: 07 July 2002
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3808
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 12:08am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:


When my buddy was in the Navy, he told us that Naples was the armpit of the Med.  Is that pretty much still the case?


Yes, it is. I live in Pozzuoli, which is a bit nicer than downtown Naples. For the most part, Naples is comparable to underground Gotham City.
Back to Top
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Arsenal FC Fan

Joined: 07 July 2002
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3808
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 12:19am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Naples eh? That place is insane and dirty, but pretty great at the same time. How did you end up in a place like that and not somewhere less.....theft and murder-y?

If you haven't yet you've got to go see the "secret" museum at the anthro museum there.

As for me? I now intern here, at frog as an Interaction Designer. Living in downtown Seattle as a result which isn't bad. It's nice being a 10 minute walk from my office/ most things I need.


Well I wanted to go somewhere in Europe, and Naples is a good launching point. There is an airport about 5 minutes from my base, so it's very convenient.

I know how being near everything you need feels and I definitely miss it. Glad to hear everything is working out for you man. What exactly does an interaction designer do?
Back to Top
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Joined: 08 March 2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 4928
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 12:36pm
Does Ryanair fly out of there?
Back to Top
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Commie Canuck

Joined: 01 June 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 30746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Naples eh? That place is insane and dirty, but pretty great at the same time. How did you end up in a place like that and not somewhere less.....theft and murder-y?

If you haven't yet you've got to go see the "secret" museum at the anthro museum there.

As for me? I now intern here, at frog as an Interaction Designer. Living in downtown Seattle as a result which isn't bad. It's nice being a 10 minute walk from my office/ most things I need.


Well I wanted to go somewhere in Europe, and Naples is a good launching point. There is an airport about 5 minutes from my base, so it's very convenient.

I know how being near everything you need feels and I definitely miss it. Glad to hear everything is working out for you man. What exactly does an interaction designer do?


The best way I can describe it is like this:

If you want to build a house, you don't just buy some bricks and start piling them up. You need to plan it out, and take into consideration the intended/ desired uses of the house, how many people/ bedrooms, how many bathrooms, do they need a garage? Is it one or two cars?

Once that is done, the planner won't build it, they'll give it to the carpenters and plumbers and electricians etc to construct it.

So my job is on the planning/ idea side of things, in some cases literally an information architect (but not always), and the carpenters/ plumbers etc are our developers, visual/ graphic designers, etc. So we identify the problem, create solutions and propose them, develop a solution and every single aspect of the experience we are creating, then give it to our developers etc to make it exist. It's a cool job to have real influence in, because I can be one of the people behind the new phone that comes out next year, change what it's like to use a site like netflix for the better, change an in-store experience so its easier to get the information and things you want/ need. Everything man-made is designed, everything, and if it's something interactive/ you experience, someone with my job designed it, from digital touch screens, to standing in line for coffee.
Back to Top
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Arsenal FC Fan

Joined: 07 July 2002
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3808
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:23am
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Does Ryanair fly out of there?


We don't get Ryanair in Naples, but we get easyJet, which is almost the same thing. Or I can take a train from Naples to Rome and fly Ryanair.

Back to Top
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Arsenal FC Fan

Joined: 07 July 2002
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3808
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 2:26am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

The best way I can describe it is like this:

If you want to build a house, you don't just buy some bricks and start piling them up. You need to plan it out, and take into consideration the intended/ desired uses of the house, how many people/ bedrooms, how many bathrooms, do they need a garage? Is it one or two cars?

Once that is done, the planner won't build it, they'll give it to the carpenters and plumbers and electricians etc to construct it.

So my job is on the planning/ idea side of things, in some cases literally an information architect (but not always), and the carpenters/ plumbers etc are our developers, visual/ graphic designers, etc. So we identify the problem, create solutions and propose them, develop a solution and every single aspect of the experience we are creating, then give it to our developers etc to make it exist. It's a cool job to have real influence in, because I can be one of the people behind the new phone that comes out next year, change what it's like to use a site like netflix for the better, change an in-store experience so its easier to get the information and things you want/ need. Everything man-made is designed, everything, and if it's something interactive/ you experience, someone with my job designed it, from digital touch screens, to standing in line for coffee.


Wow that actually sounds really cool. So, for instance, if your company was producing a phone, you could point out that the phone itself feels weird in your hand and recommend a solution?
Back to Top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Has no impulse! control

Joined: 13 January 2004
Location: 2nd Circle
Status: Online
Points: 9821
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

Haven't been on these forums in awhile, but I thought I'd give a little life update. I moved from Sasebo, Japan to Naples, Italy over the summer. Still in the Navy, just on shore duty now. I'll be leaving Naples next year to go back to the states, most likely to Pax River, Maryland. I'm starting to miss the states and the convenience of doing anything so easily.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing...what's everyone else been up to?


Wow.  Before last year I had never heard of Sasebo and now I know of two people who have been there. ( My son is stationed there.)  What are the odds?

He listed missing about the same things you did but added "good steaks that you could eat like a real steak" to the list.
Back to Top
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Arsenal FC Fan

Joined: 07 July 2002
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3808
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:


Wow.  Before last year I had never heard of Sasebo and now I know of two people who have been there. ( My son is stationed there.)  What are the odds?


Really? Is he on a ship or on shore duty there?
Back to Top
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Commie Canuck

Joined: 01 June 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 30746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

The best way I can describe it is like this:

If you want to build a house, you don't just buy some bricks and start piling them up. You need to plan it out, and take into consideration the intended/ desired uses of the house, how many people/ bedrooms, how many bathrooms, do they need a garage? Is it one or two cars?

Once that is done, the planner won't build it, they'll give it to the carpenters and plumbers and electricians etc to construct it.

So my job is on the planning/ idea side of things, in some cases literally an information architect (but not always), and the carpenters/ plumbers etc are our developers, visual/ graphic designers, etc. So we identify the problem, create solutions and propose them, develop a solution and every single aspect of the experience we are creating, then give it to our developers etc to make it exist. It's a cool job to have real influence in, because I can be one of the people behind the new phone that comes out next year, change what it's like to use a site like netflix for the better, change an in-store experience so its easier to get the information and things you want/ need. Everything man-made is designed, everything, and if it's something interactive/ you experience, someone with my job designed it, from digital touch screens, to standing in line for coffee.


Wow that actually sounds really cool. So, for instance, if your company was producing a phone, you could point out that the phone itself feels weird in your hand and recommend a solution?


Our company does do industrial design, so yes that could happen but it would happen in one of our overseas offices. We're almost entirely digital at my office, so the last phone we worked on was this: Sharp AQUOS

Sharp developed the phone to run Android, but hired us to build a new interface on top of Android to have a completely different/ custom Android experience on their handset.

For a project like that, I would have influence on which buttons do what, how tasks are performed, etc. Basically we want to design an experience/ interface that relies on human tendencies and preferences to make something intuitive and effortless to use. The original iPod NAILED this, it was so well designed it felt undesigned, you just picked it up and knew how to use it. Lots of television remotes are the exact opposite.

So some of our work will be software, some will be a physical experience (what its like to shop in a clients store/ what their kiosks are like, etc) others will be websites, or in game consoles, etc. Product/ industrial design is done at our other offices as well.

We're responsible for the entire experience of Lufthansa. frog also designed Apple computers for some time.
Back to Top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Has no impulse! control

Joined: 13 January 2004
Location: 2nd Circle
Status: Online
Points: 9821
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:


Wow.  Before last year I had never heard of Sasebo and now I know of two people who have been there. ( My son is stationed there.)  What are the odds?


Really? Is he on a ship or on shore duty there?


It's an odd position.  Technically it's shore duty but he spends a lot of time on the ships and has been out doing Navy stuff at sea as much as he has actually been at the base.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.