FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Beer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Beer
    Posted: 11 November 2012 at 11:16pm
I was wondering if there are any winter beers worth trying, as I like trying seasonal food/drink and I like beer.

The only winter beer I ever tried was Sam Adams Winter Lager, which was genuine crap. In all honesty, it is ranked up there with Corona and Genny Cream Ale on the "I'd rather Bear Grills it" list. After seeing a few things such as Blue Moon Winter and whatever else I'd like to try some. SA Winter was probably the strangest stuff I ever tried, and I wonder if other "winter" beers are similar. Probably not, since I feel that "Winter beer" was invented just to make money.

It also really depresses me that the Marzen ("Oktoberfest Beer") season is over. I love Spaten and Hacker Pschorr Marzens, while Sam Adams and Yuengling disappointed me (apparently Americans can't make a decent Marzen). Blue Moon Pumpkin was also pretty good, but it seemed like a gimmick beer. Summer and Fall are the best seasons for beer IMHO. I love some Sam Adams Summer and the frilly Shock Top Summer Shandy when its hot. Landshark is also great, but too expensive for a higher quality Bud Light.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2012 at 11:59pm
Where are you? 
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 12:01am
shandys are terrible.  

now that that's out of my system... Leinenkugels has a vanilla porter out for their winter beer that's pretty good.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 12:01am
Just get a 30 rack of natty ice. Jesus. Ice in the name obviously means winter.
Que pasa?

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 12:14am

Ah, NJ, that means you probably get Dogfish Head, right? Their Indian Brown Ale would be a nice winter warmer.

And yeah, winter beer is a meaningless term. Winter warmer is a descriptor generally used for higher ABV beers that have heavy taste profiles, like stouts. Generally speaking, heavy beers like stouts and porters are considered to be more 'winter' beers.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:12am
Winter beers are just anything that are darker and heavy. In the stout realm you should try some breakfast or Kentucky breakfast stouts. I love some Kentucky breakfast stouts.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 9:24am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Just get a 30 rack of natty ice. Jesus. Ice in the name obviously means winter.
That's my kind of beer!  Cheap 5.9%.  Can't get any better than that!

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 1:06pm
Not strictly a winter beer, but Shock Top's End of the World beer is fantastic.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 1:11pm
http://www.empyreanbrewingco.com/beers.html

Some pretty good stuff, and local.

Edited by oldsoldier - 12 November 2012 at 1:13pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 2:00pm
Yeah, it seems like there are a dozen or so Dogfish Head beers at the bigger stores. And Jmac, it is all about that Natty Light. 

Reason I asked because there are distinct styles of autumn beer (Marzen and frilly pumpkin flavors), and I was wondering if Winter was the same. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic