FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weight Loss?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 4:54pm
I had a big problem with sodas until I found a zero calorie one I could stand. Coke zero has all but replaced mountain dew/sweet tea for me.

I've been trying to bulk back up for about the last month or so, but without a lifting partner, it's been really tough.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 4:57pm
I've lost close to 30 pounds this year. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I had a big problem with sodas until I found a zero calorie one I could stand. Coke zero has all but replaced mountain dew/sweet tea for me.

I've been trying to bulk back up for about the last month or so, but without a lifting partner, it's been really tough.

I'm in the same boat on the weights. I don't have a lifting partner so I don't feel comfortable maxing out my bench press. I'm almost at the point where I can curl more than I can bench Confused

Even at that, just adding dead weights to my workout has helped me bulk up quite a bit. I don't find myself really lamenting the bench press...eventually I'll get a gym pass and use the safety machines.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:20pm
I can lift well over two hundred ounces.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:25pm
Some advice, don't ever try to hit your bench max. You will hurt yourself. The only people that should be hitting their max is a strongman competitor. Higher reps will burn more calories and build more muscle. If you are getting to the point where you know you will need some help, usually the last set, ask someone to help you out. People at the gym are pretty darn friendly when it comes to helping each other. And if you are that inclined, don't feel like a woman by going to a machine that does basically the same thing as some free weights. Plenty of big guys use the machines. Oh, and wearing gloves doesn't make you a wimp. It just makes you smarter for having hands your girl will love.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I'm in the same boat on the weights. I don't have a lifting partner so I don't feel comfortable maxing out my bench press. I'm almost at the point where I can curl more than I can bench Confused

Even at that, just adding dead weights to my workout has helped me bulk up quite a bit. I don't find myself really lamenting the bench press...eventually I'll get a gym pass and use the safety machines.

Yeah, I've just been sticking to a pretty intense 4x8/each muscle group once a week type deal. Not bad results, still wish I had someone to lift with though.

Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Some advice, don't ever try to hit your bench max. You will hurt yourself. The only people that should be hitting their max is a strongman competitor. Higher reps will burn more calories and build more muscle. If you are getting to the point where you know you will need some help, usually the last set, ask someone to help you out. People at the gym are pretty darn friendly when it comes to helping each other. And if you are that inclined, don't feel like a woman by going to a machine that does basically the same thing as some free weights. Plenty of big guys use the machines. Oh, and wearing gloves doesn't make you a wimp. It just makes you smarter for having hands your girl will love.

For me, having a spotter isn't about trying to max out, it's about being able to up the weight for your 6-8 rep sets. Even partial/assisted reps can do more good than putting off going up in weight by an extra week, in my experience at least.

I rarely use any machines, because they take away the need for your body to activate your stabilizer muscles during compound movements. More importantly, I find them to be pretty uncomfortable/painful on my shoulders.

The hands thing has got to be a case by case basis, I think most girls have zero problem with a guy not having girl hands.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:45pm
My response was in response to strato. 

I wear gloves at the gym. It doesn't matter to me. The weights tear the crap out of my hands. I've seen plenty of huge guys using them and if they allow me to comfortably lift longer, then it's a plus.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:49pm

My response was in response to strato. 

I wear gloves at the gym. It doesn't matter to me. The weights tear the crap out of my hands. I've seen plenty of huge guys using them and if they allow me to comfortably lift longer, then it's a plus.

Oh, absolutely. I certainly wouldn't ever think negatively about someone wearing gloves. I used to wear them a lot when I was in better shape. I liked the extra support they give my wrists. Nowadays though? I don't bench that often, or nearly as much, so I don't worry about it.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:15pm
Two hours at the gym weekly sparing, other than that an houtr a day on the heavy bag, and every other day on speed bag. Hockey days are over, as well as MX, weight went up but on way back down, under 250 again.

Sparring is my hardest workout. There are three of us over 50 thatare just having fun, not trying to hurt, just punch and dodge for 3 rds. After 9-12 rds pretty beat for the hour or two, get home and sit in hot tub...ahhhhhhhh.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:48pm

Yeah I need to pick up some gloves, my weight set is like sandpaper. Plus my grip isn't amazing when I'm sweating.

I wonder if Sneaky has any...

scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 9:00pm

Just the one.. For his "good arm". 

It apparently adds a whole new level to the "stranger wank" experience.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Shave?

31 replies to this thread. The spammers have claimed victory.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 1:26pm
I've found that whenever I am working out really hard, I tend to justify eating crap food to myself.  Then, I will have an off week, usually due to work, and I'll put on a couple of unwanted pounds.  I'm still pretty skinny though at 6'0 and 170 pounds.  I've had lower back pain on and off for a couple years now and noticed my posture is pretty poor, so I've been focusing on deadlifts.  Since July I've increased my max from about 250 to 365.  

Edited by evillepaintball - 13 November 2012 at 1:31pm
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

That is a damn good feeling, congrats man!

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 6:21pm

I haven't found a 0 calorie soda that didn't taste foul or leave an intolerable aftertaste.  I'll drink water as an alternative.  Besides, I'm not a fan of aspartame.

I'm with you on lifting partners.  Mine always pushed me to do one more rep and helped me focus on the goal at hand.  They never let me quit.  Lifting isn't the same without them.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 6:45pm

Some advice, don't ever try to hit your bench max. You will hurt yourself.
Sound advice if you are lifting alone.  If you have a partner to spot you and this partner knows what they are doing, injuries can be averted.  They can also be averted if you use the right safety apparel/equipment.

The only people that should be hitting their max is a strongman competitor.
I disagree.  In the last 10 years, I've competed in 3 push/pull events.  I did powerlifting as a way to increase my strength, not to compete.  An occasional competition was fun, but it was never a focus of my training.  And you can't tell how strong you are until you do some max reps.
smithkendall View Drop Down
Spammie!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 2:07am
I am a silly spambot and I got myself banned.

Edited by Mack - 19 November 2012 at 5:54pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 4:44am
Welcome back Spambot.

No, that doesn't make any sense. We'll keep talking amongst ourselves, K?

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Do men's work out gloves come in pink mesh?
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Do men's work out gloves come in pink mesh?

No, but I do Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic