FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Full circle? Humility?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full circle? Humility?
    Posted: 07 November 2012 at 11:24pm
So this reelection of a controversial president has me thinking about the first political debates I participated in here. It was 2004, OS and "The Smittys" were the politically enlightened. Keep in mind that the major issues were national security, the validity of the war in Iraq, immigration, and campaign finance reform. Totally different landscape. Having turned 18 just weeks before the election and convinced I had it figured out, I made some extremely dumb statements based on no real life experience, and later had my face soundly rubbed in it when I failed to live up to my own ideals. I think I took it with a degree of humility, smitty had a point and an earned entitlement to his opinion (not that you can verify what people say they are on the internet) but I think I took my lumps, kept an open mind, and sought more solid ways of justifying my beliefs at the time, and also amended them. I think I have a better idea of what make up my ideological underpinnings, and what I think is required for citizens to act freely in pursuit of their natural liberties, which I still believe in BTW. I don't know what's changed more, my beliefs or public discourse, but I'm seeing myself playing the part of my former opponents on this forum and elsewhere, and somewhat unnerved by *gasp* relative consensus with my my viewpoints. 

So thanks forum, for challenging me. Please continue to do so. But to my current opposition, please step up your game a  bit. I've changed my stances before, and if I have any firmly-set beliefs, will do so again if presented relevant, compelling, and convincing evidence. Hell, OS has changed quite a bit since then politically, and he was in his cranky-old-man prime and on his own court in public discourse then. We don't have Rambino around much, Enos is quiet, who knows where the smittys went. Off the forum, the greatest generation is largely gone, and I don't think public discourse, even in our own little corner of the digital world, has filled the void yet. Do better. We all benefit from thoughtful debate, even if just to know our own biased stances better. 
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 11:26pm
Nu uh.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 12:36am
Yeah, I don't even recognize 2004 Darur. I've done a full 180 on a lot of my views, and I'd say at least 80% of that is directly due to posting on here.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 7:02am
The forum for the most part matured somewhat, the children have grown into young adults and are now facing the issues that were of no concern to them if they were here in 2004. A lot of the names have changed, and many have moved on to other persuits. I still remain, based on the bordom of getting old and tha lack of community here on a isolated farm in nowhere Nebraska.

My views have gone to OK you all will get what you vote for and best of luck to ya, as I have secured my future the best I could. Now I just sit back and watch and maybe get a word in here and there.

Everyone goes through that period of youth where you think everyone else is not up to your standard and goals, can not be as smart as you are, and you and your generation are destined to change everything to your version of 'right'. But alas each generation hits that wall of reality, and how fast each individual decides, and the personal damage is determined by the speed you hit that wall. And it is fun to see how each blames something other than themselves on who put that wall there.

2004 was a long time ago for me, a lot has changed, personally as well as world wise. Life is like that, and maybe it is time to sit in the stands, still root for whatever team appears to have some idea on how to fix this mess, and hope that my grandchildren have a chance at what we had, and I am not that convinced at the moment.

Keep up the fight, and when your kids rebel against your norms, remmember, you were once the kids to the generation ahead of you.
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 3:22pm
This forum and #tippmann/PBC has greatly shaped me as a person as well. I've been here for almost 11 years now. I was in middle school when I got my first Tippmann and discovered this forum.  I feel like I grew up with the forum, and also learned more than I could even begin to say. There's a reason we call this place "mother" because I think for a lot of us it was the first message board we were members of. I can't believe I first registered here in 2001, and sometimes I get real nostalgic about it. Thanks mother.
I need a new Sig...
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 9:52pm
I frequently reference "The forum" in real life.

No one knows what it is, just that it is the forum.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 4:08am
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

I frequently reference "The forum" in real life.

No one knows what it is, just that it is the forum.

I've definitely done that, especially at my more active times
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic