FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need your help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need your help.
    Posted: 07 November 2012 at 8:39pm
So you guys know I've been unemployed for the last 6 months.
I was recently hired by a college friend to work with his company. They started me at 36K, which isn't a lot at all, but its better than nothing.

Problem though, is that its an 86 mile ONE WAY drive. It costs me nearly $30 every day to put gas in the tank. The light at the end of the tunnel is that after two months, I can either work from home a few days a week OR put in a 4 day work week.
Office hours are also 9am to 5pm, meaning I don't get home until almost 7pm, which is hell on the wife- being home with 2 kids for that long alone. Plus, I get home in time to put the oldest to bed, and I'm gone after he's up for half an hour in the morning.

I can't afford to uproot and move right now, having been unemployed for that long, our resources are pretty tapped out.

Well, I've been talking to a friend of mine that I firefight with, who is a local cop.
He's been pushing me to go that route.
This evening I got a phone call from the chief of police in our town. They've unearthed a rule that says a person can work for up to a year in a local law enforcement agency before they get into the academy, as long as you get in BEFORE the year is up. Not only that, she's already called civil service and DCJS to make sure they can hire me.
The chief gave my father an application for me tonight, and is willing to push for an immediate hire for me at the town board meeting tomorrow night.

The pay is comparable to what I'm making now....but instead of a 170+ mile commute....its 6. SIX miles. With benefits- that I don't have right now. Retirement.

Where I need help....Is figuring out how to tell a good friend who bent over backwards to get me a job that I have to pull up stakes and move along, leaving him shorthanded again.

I feel like a d-bag, but this job looks to be my best option at a future instead of oe dead end job after another.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 9:03pm
Tell him your situation. If he is a good friend, he will definitely understand. It's not that hard.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Tell him your situation. If he is a good friend, he will definitely understand. It's not that hard.

Yeah, I know. I just hate to look like an ingrate.

My final sticking point right now is the green light from the Mrs.
Everyone's told me that if your spouse isn't 100% behind you, a career like this one is hell on everyone.

As much as I want to do it, if she even remotely decides there's a problem...I won't. I can't.

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

This.

Sucks to have to do it, but as Robo said, if he is a good friend, he'll completely understand.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 9:41pm
If you decide against it, tell them I'll take the job.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

If you decide against it, tell them I'll take the job.

See this is also something. I know people that try like hell to get into the field, and I'm having it HANDED to me, practically forcibly. I saw the chief a few weeks ago, and casually mentioned an interest. The next thing I know, she's contacting people on my behalf and ready to go to bad with the Town for me...willing to hire BEFORE I take the CC exam.

How can I pass something like this up?

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 10:24pm
How's your mustache-growing abilities? 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 10:25pm
Make sure to look into if you would be getting paid when they send you through the academy.

And, if family time now is an issue, things will often be as bad or worse in law enforcement. Have you looked into their shift hours, how their schedule works, etc? As a father of two young ins, I'd hate to see you get off FTO and put on 10 or 12 hour night shifts.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 10:29pm

Make sure to look into if you would be getting paid when they send you through the academy.

And, if family time now is an issue, things will often be as bad or worse in law enforcement. Have you looked into their shift hours, how their schedule works, etc? As a father of two young ins, I'd hate to see you get off FTO and put on 10 or 12 hour night shifts.

Small town.

8 hr shifts.

7-3, or 3-11

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 10:51pm
You have a duty to yourself before anyone else. Think of what's taught in EMT-B classes, you scan an area for threats because you are useless as an EMT once disabled.

When you get yourself in order, it allows you to be a better father, husband, and friend. It sounds like you really want the gig, and you're a shoe-in for it. It'll set you on the course you want and the benefits are tough to ignore. Not knowing anything else about the situation, I would go for it.
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 12:18am
Reb,
I'm sure you know the stats about marriages and law enforcement, they are not pretty.

I've been pursing this type of career for a few years now, (have an Associates is Admin of Justice, and currently looking for openings) and have been on a "few" ride alongs. Depending on the agency, and location/population of the area. The hours on the job can easily rack up, way past what you expected. Sure, most city cops will have it easier, but get into a deputy/detective kind of gig, and your probably gonna be away from the house for a few days at a time every once and a while. As you know, you can't just "walk away" from a scene just because your shift was "supposed" to end.

But, if i were in your shoes, and were truly passionate about it, and had a recruit / paid academy opportunity. I would jump on it in a nano second. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, considering Washoe county is supposedly hiring.

Best of Luck.

Ps. commuting sucks.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 12:48am
Commuting sucks. It really does, but sometime you gotta do what you gotta do.

The job also does not need to be permanent.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 4:59pm
Write "I banged your wife" on a cake and leave it on his doorstep the night before your going to tell him. That way it won't be the worst news he's had that day.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Write "I banged your wife" on a cake and leave it on his doorstep the night before your going to tell him. That way it won't be the worst news he's had that day.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Commuting sucks. It really does, but sometime you gotta do what you gotta do.

Oh yeah.....2 hours one way every day....
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by ekeboo ekeboo wrote:

but get into a deputy/detective kind of gig, and your probably gonna be away from the house for a few days at a time every once and a while. As you know, you can't just "walk away" from a scene just because your shift was "supposed" to end.

Yeah, my cousin is an RCMP officer in a small town in Alberta. When you're one of a few officers in a town and you get a bad accident or murder or messy death you could be there for hours on end until you get rest.

On the bright side they rack up a TON of overtime.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 7:44pm
Don't forget Reb, once you get a couple years on, your options are nearly unlimited to lateral elsewhere.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 9:02pm

Don't forget Reb, once you get a couple years on, your options are nearly unlimited to lateral elsewhere.
So very true! Guys do this with the DCMPD and Fairfax and Montgomery counties. They'll put in a few years in DC and then bail for a lateral move to one of the counties with better benefits and more opportunities for advancement.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 10:08pm
The 3-11 shift is the most fun by far (Graveyard comes in a close second), but it is absolutely horrible on the family life. Also, don't expect to get off on time.
This sounds like a doorway to a career that you've wanted. Now it's time to set down with the wife and see if she is on board. You will miss holidays and weekends and other events guaranteed.

Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic