FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on Election

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on Election
    Posted: 07 November 2012 at 2:26pm
Kinda a final thought on the whole fiasco. My first vote cast a long time ago was for Nixon, the fiasco of Gerald Ford to Carter was a fun exercise in government gone nuts, and self destructing. Reagan was my next real vote, and next. Bush 41 took some thought first time, second time went meh, as many of us did and we got Clinton. My next vote was Bush 43 both times, and then McCain as a then ABO vote also. Finally yesterday went in and did a ABO vote against rather than a vote for.

Looking back at all the 'fun' I had following the elections, as I got older the intent of my vote turned more towards who will do less damage to may wallet his four years. On a fixed income now, facing medical issues that may not lead to being there in 2016, my main concern in this election was the cost of today being thrown upon not my kids, but thier kids, some not even born yet.

Someday all of you will face this also, getting old and finding things harder to accept as the next generation feels thier current as well as 'future' needs far outweigh the needs you have in your elder years. Many see no problem in taxing the 'rich' until you are now designated by the needs of the time as the 'rich', then you will rebel, trust me.

Thank god some of my retirement is not reportable as income, or yes me and the wife would be above the new number as the combined 'family' rich. The years I saved and the issues I went through to be where I am today, I felt needed protection from those who feel that they are entitled to the same without the sacrifice, just because. The classic:"Why can you go to school (college) for 'free, and I can't", and the young lady had no idea or understanding what I went through to pay for this 'free' education. Or the neighbors in NY as we decided to sell the inheirited house, asking why we would want to live in Nebraska. The idea of cheaper taxation was no where on thier radar, since to them high taxes were now a norm.

Is the Obama re-election going to have an effect on me and the family, I suspect so. I will just find more legal ways to protect my earnings and savings, and pass this down to my grandkids. Obamacare does not affect me, I am with VA Healthcare, and Wife is now on CHAMP VA, so we are covered with $0 medical costs or co-pays, so we are good there. We converted a lot of my savings to precious metals, gold and silver, actual hold in your hand not paper, you can't print more gold.
I just feel sorry for those who have no idea what tommorrow will bring, and are failing to prepare. I financially sacrificed all through my working career to be here, and do not expect any more than what I have earned. And soon when I end up in some form of assisted living, The Old Soldier's Home I am eligable for will be no cost or financial hardship on my surviving family, we don't have to liquidate my assets to be 'eligable', or pay thousands a week. A decesion I made many years ago, based on what I saw as the needs of today (the future) over all the fun toys I could of had at the moment way back then, something missing in today's culture.

So no problem with Obama, would of prefered a Republican, but I am good to go, till I go, because I planned for it long ago.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 3:21pm
As it came closer to election time, I found myself split between the two. At first I wanted Obama all the way, but then I began to lean Romney. I became very confused. I figured Obama might be the choice for now, but Romney would be the choice for the future. I don't know enough to completely have a strong opinion toward either candidate. As a person wanting a career in space exploration, I can't side with Obama. As a person concerned about future energy, I agree more with Obama, but Romney would be for now energy. It was a hard decision to make for myself.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

As it came closer to election time, I found myself split between the two. At first I wanted Obama all the way, but then I began to lean Romney. I became very confused. I figured Obama might be the choice for now, but Romney would be the choice for the future. I don't know enough to completely have a strong opinion toward either candidate. As a person wanting a career in space exploration, I can't side with Obama. As a person concerned about future energy, I agree more with Obama, but Romney would be for now energy. It was a hard decision to make for myself.

Wouldn't someone like Romney make a career in space exploration more difficult? From what I've seen it's either a moot point and there wouldnt be much difference between the two, or that Romney would be less likely to support expansion of NASA/ their current budget?

Not saying you're wrong, just intrigued to hear more about the thinking behind that particular aspect for you.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 3:55pm
I guess I read something saying Obama did not support expansion of the space program while Romney did. Romney wants the private sector to do more. It looks like Obama wants to do some space stuff, but I'm not too sure of how accurate all the facts are.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 5:32pm
Obama cancelled the Constellation program that would have funded NASA heavily.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 5:59pm
Cool, good to know, thanks for the thoughts both of you. I definitely agree that private enterprise will play a larger role in space exploration, but its really sad when the NASA budget takes hits. It's pretty small as is.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Obama cancelled the Constellation program that would have funded NASA heavily.
I'm still very upset about this.

I disliked both candidates. I am well enough informed to understand our $16 trillion debt is due mostly to 20 years worth of sketchy decisions by a long list of government officials and decisions in the private sector as well, rather than 4-12 years worth of idiots as president. Though, I don't believe Obama or Bush did much to help our situation. Personally? I don't think I'm any worse off with Obama this term than I would have been had Romney won the election. 

So...meh.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 11:43pm
No matter what we were going to get a murderer in office.
NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2012 at 6:34am
I personally think both presidents would run a defecit which is the largest issue to me. I like obama care for its main goals and direction, I think that health care is a big part of my economic concerns, so some reform is needed.

I also know this will be unpopular but I have to agree with cancelling that constellation program. I beleive we need to take a priority approach to spending with our economy in the shape it is in. I dont feel it is fiscally responsible to be in badshape and spend money on things like space exploration. I would also cancel or trim many programs so dont feel picked on.

My strongest politics point is DONT spend what you DONT have. They all spend more than we have in revenue, and that is horrendous. If any household ran with that sort of mentality they would be bankrupt. Unfortunately almost every president in history does this:(
just my own 2 cents

edward d'andrea
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic