FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nursing Home Votes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nursing Home Votes
    Posted: 01 November 2012 at 5:25pm
So a backstory here-

My grandmother had a stroke about three years ago that's left her paralyzed in the right half of her body and with a rapidly worsening case of dementia.

Her mind is so bad that she calls us frequently to ask where my deceased grandfather is and why he won't come see her.

It's saddening because my grandmother was a very intelligent, warm hearted minister who spent the better part of her life helping feed and house the homeless in Fort Worth. She never operated in a big enough way to be noticed, but she was a 70 year old woman who would drive her little Corolla into the nastiest ghettos and underpasses and take food and talk to the men and wooden who stayed there.

I say all of the to lead to to this...she never owned a TV and she didn't vote. She didn't talk politics and she never felt it was her place as a religious leader to invoke politics in the pulpit.

This election, she voted for (I'm not going to say just to keep this from being a partisan issue)...or at least that's what the nurses aide told her. She had no idea who either candidate was, but the nursing home verified that ballots were taken to the rooms of patients unable to vote due to disability and the aides cast their vote for them.

On top of that she wasn't allowed to actually see the ballot

This is an entirely crooked practice that, if what the nursing home tells my mother is true, happens quite frequently.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 5:40pm
Yeah that's umm....messed up
Que pasa?

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 6:03pm
Has she been declared mentally incompetent yet?
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Has she been declared mentally incompetent yet?

I don't believe so, but really it's more of the blind voting that bothers me. It seems a little disingenuous, especially considering that these are the same aides that regularly steal her perfume and candy.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 6:39pm
Nursing homes are extremely bad. It's an issue addressed in college nursing curriculum. My girlfriend is a nurse and she says it is pretty bad. Nursing is crooked in many different ways with stealing drugs and such.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 6:59pm
Best thing you can do is go talk to the supervisor of elections office for the county she is in.

If it's a big county, say you need to fill out a complaint form, if it's a small county the SoE is usually pretty approachable, so set up a meeting to talk with them. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 7:12pm
Dude, are you kidding me? That is fraud man. That has got to be highly illegal. You definitely need to do something about that, even if making a few phone calls can help, do it. It's not right for somebody to vote for your dementia laden grandmother who couldn't possibly make an informed vote. 
I need a new Sig...
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 7:56pm
send an email to james O'Keefe, and I bet he will do a video sting. That is just so wrong...
They tremble at my name...
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:10pm

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 12:19am
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 1:35am
It is still better than actual 'dead' people voting in Chicago on a regular basis.

We had two nursing/assited living homes turned upside down by State inspectors, theft, room stacking, neglect, identity theft, the list goes on. As for the voting, I can and do see that happening, lets see we have 125 residents, 12 are incapacitated, but we better turn in X number of votes for (insert candidate here) to make it look like we did it right.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 1:43am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Best thing you can do is go talk to the supervisor of elections office for the county she is in.

If it's a big county, say you need to fill out a complaint form, if it's a small county the SoE is usually pretty approachable, so set up a meeting to talk with them. 

This is what I came here to say. This is NOT okay, don't just let it slide, it's worth trying to have something happen. Every vote counts, this is messed up.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 3:36am
Originally posted by Apu Apu wrote:

Dude, are you kidding me? That is fraud man. That has got to be highly illegal. You definitely need to do something about that, even if making a few phone calls can help, do it. It's not right for somebody to vote for your dementia laden grandmother who couldn't possibly make an informed vote. 

Sort of and No, unfortunately. Read the fine print when you (if you) have to send a loved one to these places. In these contracts are clauses (generally) that state if one becomes physically incapable of getting to a ballot location it will be brought to them. NOW, what is shady is how the staff member voted through someone else whom they probably knew couldn't distinguish one candidate from another for various reasons. 

Definitely do something though my friend, someone needs to take a stand. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 10:55am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

This is what I came here to say. This is NOT okay, don't just let it slide, it's worth trying to have something happen. Every vote counts, this is messed up.

Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. I hadn't thought of it.

Right now my mom's in touch with one of the local news stations, I'll keep you guys posted if we hear back from them. I can't imagine how many votes go out from these nursing homes represnting people who can't even recognize their own relatives, much less have a weighted political opinion.

Needless to say, when the nursing home was notified they went in to damage control mode. We've gotten a ton of "We've fixed this and fired that" phone calls, but anyone who's ever had experience with a nursing home knows that those are par for the course. I'd have to sit down and think to actually count up the number of times we've caught that nursing home in some gross negligence and gotten a phone call from every supervisor in the place. The sad thing is, this is probably the nicest nursing home you'll find in my area.Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic