FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Political Ads.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Political Ads.
    Posted: 01 November 2012 at 9:59am

This thread is not meant as a political thread please do not turn it into one.

HOLY CRAP I am sick and freaking tired of getting fliers in the mail! ITT yesterday may have been the worst considering I got 3 seperate fliers/slicks for the same presidential candidate. On other days, I have gotten one from each or maybe one from a few different candidates for various races, but this has reached near insanity levels! Add this to the CONSTANT barrage of TV and radio adds and I am pretty much sick of it.
I watched a PBS Newshour piece last night and it covered how things have changes this election. It was incredible to learn how cookies are being used to basically stalk us based on our preferences. Things like FB, Twitter, and the sites you visit really are allowing them to zero in on people. Im not a huge tech guy, but honestly didnt realize how big brotherish it has really gotten. Its a bit frightening really.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 10:03am
I feel bad for the swing states this year. Must be like having two bnoxious guys fighting over who's going to take you to the prom.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 10:08am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I feel bad for the swing states this year. Must be like having two bnoxious guys fighting over who's going to take you to the prom.
Thats probably part of it. Itt with Ohio being one of the most coveted swing states, it's just going to get worse during the next few days. Thinking about just putting a garbage can out next to the mailbox with a note asking the mail carrier to just cut out the middleman. I don't even look at them anymore.  I am truly looking forward to this being over.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 10:14am
I get Tim Bishop's people coming to my door every other day.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 10:30am
17 phone calls yesterday alone...

Seriously, it has gotten to the point where the answering machine is set one ONE ring. And it fills up before lunch time. And we are on the "do not call" list. 

Living in Ohio is a real pain every four years. 

What is really annoying is the people that KEEP calling AFTER election day. I remember last election day getting calls two and three days later reminding us to be sure to vote...
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:18am
Sharing the majority of our network and cable stations with DC and Virginia, we're getting a metric butt-ton of political ads aimed at VA. The other night, I was watching Jeopardy! and one commercial break truthfully went "Romney Ad, Obama Ad, Romney Ad, Obama Ad, VA Senate Race AD, Aleve Ad."

That and all the "special coverage" of rallies and whatnot are really irking me. Can't wait until it's all over.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:25am
I get your not wanting to turn this political, but what is with the trying to win a popularity contest? Seriously that's like the elections here.

They promise the earth, don't deliver anything and people still vote for them because of the power of their personality.

I move all politicians be used for chum.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 12:22pm
It's pretty bad in Wisconsin too.  Although, the senate race ads seem worse than the presidential ads.  
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 12:27pm
Campaigning should be illegal until October 1st.
Que pasa?

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 12:32pm

The two big ones here in Ohio that I see are obviously the pres race and the one between Josh Mandel and Sherrod Brown. The latter have turned outright ugly with essentially both sides outright calling each other liars and theives.

ITT in most cases honestly, all elections are popularity contests. You can be a brilliant person with the most ability to lead and still get beaten by a lesser more likeable candidate. I doubt the vast majority of people know much if anything about any of the candidates other than what they see through various media. There is just too much info these days. I don't know how anyone with a full time job, kids and other commitments could possibly go through even a small portion of it. It's probably why so many people just simply pick a party they agree mostly with and vote down party lines. Its far from a perfect system.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

I move all politicians be used for chum.

Given that I'm currently reading The Fear by Peter Godwin, I'll second that so long as we can start with your neighbors to the north. Good lord is that place effed up!
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 1:40pm
:) Lets feed the politicians to the lawyers, and then the lawyers to real sharks.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 1:41pm

:) Lets feed the politicians to the lawyers, and then the lawyers to real sharks.

KBK

I wish this were facebook so I could "like" and "share" the hell out of this!
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 1:45pm
Problem is, most of the politician are lawyers already, but I guess sharks are cannibalistic.

* Actually had a Freudian siip and originally typed "sharks" instead of "laywers"LOL
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

KBK

I wish this were facebook so I could "like" and "share" the hell out of this!
 Ditto. Feed Scott Brown to Elizabeth Warren, then dress her up like a seal and troll her around off Chatham for the great whites. The Senate race here is just absurd. 
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 3:18pm
You would think that leaving the country would get you away from all the fliers.  It doesn't.  I still get fliers for local races.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 4:53pm
The telephone calls are the worst.

I usually just hang up on the pollsters.

When I get calls supporting a certain candidate or party I troll the heck out of them.

I had a call from some conservative group two days ago asking me to promise to support conservative values when I go to the polls.  I acted like I was just the opposite of what they wanted until the lady got annoyed and hung up on me.

My best line was asking if her definition of "family" included farm animals or electric appliances that one was more than slightly fond of.

Edited by Mack - 01 November 2012 at 4:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic