FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane Sandy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Stay safe.

Hope you all pull through with minimal impact. Sounds like Gaia was pissed at the USA when she thought this one up.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 8:44am
On the eve of my brand new commute to work....they're pulling gasoline resources from my area and relocating them downstate. My in-laws are an hour north of the city cant get gasoline. I understand the need to get generators powered up, but it may grind things to a halt up here- especially considering its a 20 mile drive for groceries in this area.

I have friends  who are incensed that when upstate areas were destroyed by Irene last year, there was a major 'shrug' from down that way, minimized because "It didn't hit the city" and we were forced to make our own way through it with some nominal help.
You know what though? I'm not really bothered by it. Its two different worlds there and here. Losing power here and there have different implications, PLUS the time of year was different. We didn't have to worry about heating to stay alive, they do. Am I annoyed that I'll probably have to limp into a gas station an hour north of here to put gas in the car, probably at inflated costs? A bit, but not enough to complain about it.

I can't get down there with some of the county volunteer firefighters who are going to help, (babies, new job, etc...) so if I need to spend a few extra bucks this week to fuel up so some old lady can have generated power, fine.

You'd be amazed at how many people aren't thinking that way around here though. Its sort of sad. We're quick to take NYC money during the tourist season, but apparently giving a bit back is cause for consternation.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Its two different worlds there and here.

You know, I've never understood why upstate has never divested itself of Manhattan and LI or vice versa. It really is two completely different worlds, two completely different sets of political methods, etc. You'd still have the suburbs pulling in tax money from the City, but by now let the 5 boroughs just form their own little state and keep their corruption out of your government?

Back in the mid 1800's my home state took advantage of the secession of VA from the union to split, but the real reason was that we were marginalized in VA political realms and infrastructure development. I'd think there were similar disparities between the city and anything north of LI or west of the Hudson.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 10:13am
I do like the fact our gas prices are dropping.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 10:15am
Rofl_Mao, it's really hit or miss weather it will affect the election. I think less people are heading to the polls but overall things won't be swayed. Sad to say but most people are pretty polarized this election it seems.

People seem more angry with local Officials and the Red Cross and such. Using Staten Island as an Example, people effing hate bloomberg the mayor of nyc for really not doing anything. All of the support out there is private donors, and churches and the like. The community turnout there is amazing, it's the kind of people you dream about living by. Even prior to the mess they were some of the most welcoming and nicest people I've ever met, snooki guido accents and all.

It seems like most of North Jersey is okay. Power outages, gas lines, gas rationing, etcetera but overall most people's homes didn't get wrecked by trees or something. A lot of things are beginning to reopen, but a lot are still without power.

The coastal areas... Not so much. The island that 'jersey shore' was on is pretty much destroyed. The public isn't allowed on the island and it could be uninhabitable for a year. I wasn't able to get on it, but assume everything has to be rebuilt. As I said before, I was cleaning out my cousins house on Staten Island, where the Atlantic Ocean decided to move into her home. The area there is destroyed, with a lot of homes got flooded and had the sewer back up into them. I even saw a house that got ripped off of its foundation, and cars and random things get thrown around. Now it's mostly people there cleaning out their own homes and waiting for fema or insurance to rebuild. I'll describe it better when I get to a computer.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Its two different worlds there and here.

You know, I've never understood why upstate has never divested itself of Manhattan and LI or vice versa. It really is two completely different worlds, two completely different sets of political methods, etc. You'd still have the suburbs pulling in tax money from the City, but by now let the 5 boroughs just form their own little state and keep their corruption out of your government?

Back in the mid 1800's my home state took advantage of the secession of VA from the union to split, but the real reason was that we were marginalized in VA political realms and infrastructure development. I'd think there were similar disparities between the city and anything north of LI or west of the Hudson.

I've oft wondered the same thing myself, and nobody's given me a satisfactory answer. One of the big reasons I can think of is that upstate NY hosts the water supply for NYC, and they actually own massive chunks of land up here. If NYC left, the 'upstate' state would be split up and divided along waterways, both main and tributaries all throughout the area. If there was to be a split, we would have to buy up that land, and rent it back to them later on, and that would never be allowed to happen. Not with the might of the city being what it is.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 11:20am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

it's really hit or miss weather it will affect the election.

Har har
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Yerntor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yerntor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 6:06am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I'm going to be getting hit directly in less than 24 hours or so. I'm not really concerned with anything, as my town really doesn't flood and I live on a hill anyway. Worst thing that could happen is a tree could hit my house/truck or another mineshaft could collapse.

As for "prepping", I filled up all of the cars and made sure to assemble all of the flashlights nice led lights and such. I can't find any D batteries for anything though. If the power goes out, I'll still have hot/cold water and gas for the stove. I have enough food for a few weeks or so. I have a small Harbor Freight generator that will power a few basic things.

Last halloween the northeast got hit with that blizzard which left me without power for a week or more. That was crap. I learned to fill up my truck this time.

Be safe. Hope nothing happens wrong

Edited by Yerntor - 09 November 2012 at 1:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic