FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got a new Boomstick:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got a new Boomstick:
    Posted: 25 October 2012 at 10:47am
Maverick 88 by Mossberg.

No pictures of mine yet (as it is currently hidden away from the wife who would use it on me if she found out I bought it) but if you google it, you'll see it's a no-frills 18.5" home defense cannon.

$179 + tax at the local Dick's Sporting Goods.

Mind you, chances are the first time I'll get to shoot it won't be until almost xmas due to the lack of ranges in MoCo Maryland.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 11:15am
I've heard the Mavericks are really well built for the price point, thought about picking up one myself but lately I'm looking into a semi automatic.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 11:45am
It's essentially a Mossy 500 with all synthetic body parts and a different forearm and trigger group. They even accept the same barrels which is why I went with the Maverick. This way I can have a decent home defense shotty that I can turn into a decent clay/birding shotty when I want to.
kickinwing2010 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 3 - Bestiality & Peer Pressured

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickinwing2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 11:58am
Same shotgun I got, used it for high school trap team and now it's my hunting shotgun. Never had an issue with it, and I rarely clean the thing.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by kickinwing2010 kickinwing2010 wrote:

Same shotgun I got, used it for high school trap team and now it's my hunting shotgun. Never had an issue with it, and I rarely clean the thing.

Did you go 6 or 8 shot? Also, any problems switching to a longer barrel?
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 2:12pm
My buddy bought one for his wife, he seems more than pleased with it.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 3:03pm
It was what I used for years for competition before I got my own 870.

Well done on the purchase. They are rock solid.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 9:17pm
Can't go.wrong with a Mossberg 500 series. When are you getting a 590?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 9:29pm
Honestly, I'll probably wind up keeping this for the pump-action, getting an over-under for actual hunting once I get better at trap/skeet, and then a semi for S&G's

Only other thing I'd probably go for down the road is either a real Winchester 1897 or a Norinco knock-off of it.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:09am
I've heard good things about the Norinco Win 97's.

They are good guns.

I've used a real Winchester 97 in competition. Nice guns. I've used it in CAS and 3 gun matches.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 10:05am
Nice shotty.  I finally found a folding stock for my 500A JIC that fits inside the waterproof tube.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 11:44am
I've been eyeballing one of those or something similar to replace the shotgun I sold to my brother. But next month I will be purchasing my friends 1993 Marlin 336 .30-.30 which I have wanted for YEARS. It will be my birthday present to myself.
kickinwing2010 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 3 - Bestiality & Peer Pressured

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickinwing2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by kickinwing2010 kickinwing2010 wrote:

Did you go 6 or 8 shot? Also, any problems switching to a longer barrel?

6 shot but I run a plug for hunting purposes, as for switching barrels I have no experience in doing so. The one that came with seems to work just fine for everything I need. But now that I know I have the option a shorter barrel for when it's being used as the home defense gun sounds rather nice.
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 2:18am
I thought this said broomstick and you were going to be one of those nutters that play Quidditch. A company actually makes brooms that look similar to the ones in the movies just to play with. It actually looks fun but you have to run around with a broom between your legs the entire time. I'd try to find a team to play with if you didn't have to do that, what a pain in the butt.

They look pretty nice, i've never shot one myself but if it's anything like any other Mossberg i've ever shot, I bet it shoots great and will last you a lifetime. Congrats on the purchase tallen.

Edited by Apu - 28 October 2012 at 3:26am
I need a new Sig...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic