Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ABC "news" destroys business, Finally being sued.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABC "news" destroys business, Finally being sued.
    Posted: 24 October 2012 at 9:58am
I watched this "story" night after night. I know a little about this business as my neighbor is a cattle farmer, and I had talked to him about this process last year before this so called "story" came out. 

Unreal that a "news" organization could do something like this today. Course it isn't surprising, I bet ABC will have to pay a TON of money as they will lose badly in court. 

You just can't invent facts, and slander a company in that way. And yet, ABC news did exactly that. 

"The network has used the term “pink slime” at least 178 times between newscasts and Avila’s Twitter feed.

That is the kind of assault that the national outlets reserve for true villains. Except in this case, Beef Products, Inc.  says it has done nothing wrong. And they back up their position with facts.

In fact, BPI has been doing just about everything right, and to great applause. It has received awards from the Consumer Federation of America, International Association for Food Protection and National Meat Association. According to the USDA, lean finely textured beef (LFTB) is safe and healthy; and industry sources acknowledge it is less expensive and an essential component of lean ground beef. And, newsflash, Americans have safely consumed 5 billion pounds of it over the last 20 years.

None of that has mattered. One activist reporter, one out-of-control network and a couple, surly former USDA employees wanted to destroy BPI and almost succeeded. In less than an hour of actual broadcast time, ABC’s culinary crusade nearly sabotaged a family company that took more than 30 years to build."

They tremble at my name...
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I bet ABC will have to pay a TON of money as they will lose badly in court. 

Libel cases have a history of being rather difficult to prove in a courtroom. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 11:20am
"Inside a third machine the material was treated with ammonia hydroxide gas to eliminate bacteria."

Slander.....
Que pasa?

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 12:10pm
I do agree with FE that bad journalism can do alot of damage to business, I think he's overselling this case.

A few things-

I didn't watch this and was unaware of it until this moment, but I do know from the various news sources that ABC was not the only media outlet giving negative coverage to this company. They simply chose ABC as the recipient of the lawsuit. That's going to make it pretty difficult to basically declare that the entire American covering this story was peddling knowingly false info. Remember, the basis of a libel case is to prove that the firm in question KNEW that what they were saying was false and did so in an attempt to damage your reputation.

The other side of my issue with this story is the Fox article. Some of the quotes the lawsuit lists and Fox backs aren't even attributed to ABC...one of the libel quotes in question comes from the COMMENT BOARDS. The others are from chefs and other sources interviewed. This was a very poorly put together articlewith a sensationalist headline...even if they proved that ABC was guilty of libel, what inherent bias does that prove? This story isn't political in my opinion

And most of the "facts" Fox lists are just opinions. So the meat is USDA approved? McRibs are legal to sell but who wants them served to kids?

Edited by stratoaxe - 24 October 2012 at 12:11pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I do agree with FE that bad journalism can do alot of damage to business

Oh for sure. I didn't care for the "pink slime" coverage at all — I think, in general, our worry over meat processing is overinflated, and it allows for easy hyperbole. It's indicative of our wasteful approach to farming. 

They use ammonia to kill bacteria? Gasp! As I wipe down my counters with Windex. 

Quote Remember, the basis of a libel case is to prove that the firm in question KNEW that what they were saying was false and did so in an attempt to damage your reputation.

For those playing along at home, "actual malice" is the legal term here. 

To win a libel case, if you're a public figure, which a corporation is, you have to be able to prove two things: 

• That the information communicated is false 
  • That the information was communicated with actual malice -- meaning the information was knowingly wrong or "serious doubts" were recorded, yet the information was communicated anyway. 
It's that last bit that is a bugger to prove in court, because it's going to be the plaintiff's job to prove that ABC thought the information was false -- all ABC has to do, as a defense, is indicate that they they thought the information was true based on their reporting process. 

Even if the information is false, an outright lie, that's not enough to win a libel case. 

Quote  The other side of my issue with this story is the Fox article

'Cause it's not a Fox article. Check out the tag at the bottom: 

Brent Bozell is founder and president of the Media Research Center.

This is essentially a guest column spot by a guy who runs a think-tank, not a news article. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 3:55pm
This topic mainly annoys me because:

A) "Pink slime" is just liquefied fat, not any horrid chemical of doom like it's made out to be.
 -and-
B) "Pink slime" is removed from the meat, not added to it.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2012 at 6:36pm
Has anyone seen Food Inc?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic