FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting on CWP to come in. Need advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waiting on CWP to come in. Need advice.
    Posted: 21 October 2012 at 2:33pm
In 6 to 8 weeks, my concealed weapons permit will arrive. I'm moving to Memphis, so I felt it appropriate to have the option of carrying (TN has reciprocity with FL).

I currently have an FNP-9, which I love and am quite accurate with. It's a full frame 9mm that hasn't malfunctioned in over 1200 rounds, is easy as hell to operate, and that I would trust to take into battle.

The problem is, it's very difficult to conceal (impossible with warm weather clothing) and accessories are scarce and pricey. I don't have the budget to get everything I want, so compromise must be made.

I'm torn between getting a light, holster, and night sights for it, which would make it a superior home/vehicle defense gun. It seems like it's a valuable set of accessories to have, and I could hide it under a jacket or in a backpack when going out. I wont get a holster for it unless it's made for a light, and it sure as hell wont be something generic (I like proper retention).

The other option is to spend that money and a little more to get a pocket sized revolver or semi auto. There's the benefit of having two firearms, and a small handgun can be carried with minimal effort. The downsides are that I wont have optimal home defense (break-ins are at a very high rate in Memphis), will have to keep my skills up with two separate types of guns.

With your suggestions, it would be helpful if you point to specific products. I'm certain that I'll go with holsters from Raven Concealment, everything else I'm open to suggestions for.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 2:38pm

" I'm moving to Memphis, so I felt it appropriate to have the option of carrying "

Why?

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

" I'm moving to Memphis, so I felt it appropriate to have the option of carrying "

Why?

Getting CWP because Memphis has one of the highest crime rates in the country. The airport is on the side of town where crime is more prevalent. I'm wearing a pilot uniform on my way to and from work, in a car which is only 5 years old, which makes me look more well off than other people in the area = better target.

Moving to Memphis for work.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 3:05pm
I would recommend as a concealed weapon a .380 PPK, small, won't fail, and accurate. I had one as my backup ankle piece. Or a Berreta U22 .22LR with unjacketed hollow points, 10rds still narrow, no bulge and good enough to put a good amount down range initially, with 5 or more still there after initial contact. You want small, you don't want a bulge, and either round a .380 or .22LR will get bad guys thinking. Remmember the object is to disengage, not end up in a someone dies firefight. More than likely you will be the one the cops 'catch' because the bad guys will have scooted by the time the patrol car gets there. A DA's love messin with the 'armed' citizen, far easier than bad guys with lawyers, and rights and stuff.

Odds are when you start shooting back, bad guys will disengage first, no 'fun' when the 'target' shoots back. And you don't have to hit them, a few wizzing by the brain housing group will get them to rethink the whole process.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 5:08pm
Wilderness belt, and Comp-tac Minotaur holster to start out.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 5:23pm
The badguys can't be relied on to run. You may very well have to fight to the death, and that's pretty much what should be on the line when you employ lethal force. If you were shooting to "scare him away" you probably weren't justified in shooting him in the first place.

That being said, get a light.

If you have a decent light you won't need night sights. Night sights are of very limited use, and I've been using them for 16 years.

Being able to identify your target is much more important than being able to see your sights in absolute darkness. If you have a light it won't be absolutely dark.

I'd honestly say get a Surefire X300 Ultra and nothing else. If you are on a very tight budget then look for a SF X300. They don't have the performance of the brand new Ultra, but they are very capable lights and you may find some 2nd hand ones.

Also, get the DG switch for one handed operations.

That being said, a decent holster is almost worth it's weight in gold. The Comp Tac is a very very decent unit as well, but you can always either find someone who can work Kydex, or do it yourself and make your own custom holster for your exact weapon and light until you can save up for the name brand holster.

You can find some good How To's on the 'net.

Then you'll have 2/3 the things on your list.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 21 October 2012 at 5:25pm
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 5:41pm
In a home defense situation, you'd likely be in close enough that lining up sights becomes secondary to a faster point and shoot.  A good flashlight with a weapon based mount would be ideal.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 5:50pm
I still dont understand that mentality at all. I can't think of one single incident in my entire life that I wish I had a gun/ things would have gone better if someone was armed.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 5:57pm
And you've experienced EVERY situation possible?

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 6:25pm
What do you guys think of the TLR-1? It gets solid reviews for $100 less than the Surefire.

There have been some times when I wished I was armed. You can never predict anyone's motivations. Considering I'm going to a relatively violent place, it pays to be prepared. I don't mean for this to be an argument about the necessity of carrying firearms. I've already decided that I'd be more comfortable having a weapon ready in as many situations as possible. I just want to do this in the best way possible.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

And you've experienced EVERY situation possible?

KBK

I think I've got 3 or 4 left.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 6:43pm
I don't think you need a gun. But if you do, just make sure it's a big one.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

I don't think you need a gun. But if you do, just make sure it's a big one.

It would be nice to have if I ever did need it. It's likely the insurance on all of your homes covers theft, even though you may never have a break-in your whole life. This is just an other way of being prepared.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I still dont understand that mentality at all. I can't think of one single incident in my entire life that I wish I had a gun/ things would have gone better if someone was armed.

I've never had a severe wreck, but I haven't yanked the airbags out of my car Smile

scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 7:08pm
I know what you mean. I've been around guns since I was a wee lad and have nothing against them. As insurance I think their a bit extreme.

You'll be fine. Spend the money you would have put towards a gun on beer or something.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 7:21pm
If you want something easily concealable, I'd recommend the Keltec .380 or Ruger LCP. I personally carry a Glock 27, but it is bigger than the previous two I mentioned.

As far as the break-ins go, they will most likely happen in the day time when you are at work.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

If you want something easily concealable, I'd recommend the Keltec .380 or Ruger LCP. I personally carry a Glock 27, but it is bigger than the previous two I mentioned.

As far as the break-ins go, they will most likely happen in the day time when you are at work.

I like the LC9 myself, not a .380 fan.  If my life was on the line, I'd go for the Ruger over the Keltec.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 8:07pm
For home defense a 12ga, #9 first, OO Buck second, Slug third, then 2 rds #3 or BB.

My carry piece is a .22LR Berretta Model 21, and I have been in a firefight or two in my life. Human nature being what it is, and being ex law enforcement too, the untrained 'criminal' gunman will 'run', for the longer the engagement the less time to get out of there before the cops show. Police studies show that in a return fire engagement the 'criminal' tries to break contact and run within 10sec of first rounds going his direction. Once as a UC got into a staring contest with a kid with a .25, put two .22's winging by his head and all I saw were assho..s and elbows, no I did not try and kill him, been a bad thing under the circumstances I was in. I am getting the U22 first chance I get. A .22 in a mid/close range engagement is going to be easier to handle and far more accurate than even a 9mm, why I use one.

Also a .22LR does not have the penitration for a through and through, so you do not have a loose round flying around that may hit an innocent in the AO. Bad things happen when they do.

Like said in "Unforgiven" if you take your time and aim you will do far better, and live longer, than some 'gangsta' with his sideways grip firing all over the place. True enough BTDT.

Remmember this ain't hollywood....if you are there and in it for real, simple is best, its not the name of the gun, nor the caliber, it is the individual firing it that wins the contest.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 8:40pm
My light is a Streamlite TAC-II, and isn't weapon-mounted. I'm quite impressed with it so far as a general purpose light with tactical potential. Carry gun is a .38 snubby, house gun is a shotgun. I shoot the .38 more than anything else these days and have become fairly good with it, I wasn't always. I shoot in low-light, with and without the streamlight. It shoots everything well, as long as it's 158gr. It does shoot those light weight, polymer-tipped Hornady home defense loads well enough, and expansion tests on those are enough for me to consider them worth the price. No over-penetration, very large hole for a .38. If I were to buy a new carry gun, I'd consider a thin pistol as long as it was extremely reliable. Revolvers have a lot going for them in terms of reliability. If I were to need to use my carry gun, it holds 5 rounds. Those last three are likely going to be fired over my shoulder while I run away. In the house there's nowhere to run, I like having a half pound of lead on tap. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 9:43pm

I've probably posted this in every CHL thread, but for concealment you can't go wrong with-

And x2 on a shotgun for home defense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic