FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beau's 'last' adventure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beau's 'last' adventure
    Posted: 19 October 2012 at 1:49pm
Yesterday the wind out here was terrible, and cold. The bassets were all put in the 'mancave' garage, the new 'winter quarters'. Momma went to work and I was doing stuff inside. I went outside to let them out for bussiness, and there was Abby on the back porch, the door to the mancave blew open and the 'boys' Duke and Beau were gone. I searched in circles around the fields and nothing, the weather was windy and cold, and being older did not see the boys as that motivated. Momma and I did search laps on all the dirt roads till dark, nothing. A lot of places to hold up in the cold.

0730 this AM we did some more laps, nothing, increasing the search radius. With all the cuts and fields and lack of farmhouses and a lot of out buildings all over they could be anywhere hold up out of the cold. 1030 we did some more laps agin expanding the radius and went North this time first. We wandered a few roads doing laps of the 1x1 mile squares. We turned up Cty 21 a dirt road and about 25m up there was 'Duke' sitting alongside the road,like he was waiting for us. Wet and cold momma took him home and I began wandering the treeline knowing they would of stuck together. Nothing. Momma returned with Abby whose distress bark aleways draws Beau. Momma let Abby out where Duke was and they began wandering up the road, Momma calling and Abby barking.
About 100m up the road, Beau's head pops out of a ditch, he is stuck can't get out. I helped him up, he gave me 'the what took you guys so long look' and he waddled off towards the truck like nothing happened out of the ordinary.

They are home, warmed up, fed and in the houses outside with the heaters on. Dogs are far worse than kids.....Panic 101
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 1:00am
My current dog, Fanny is a Terrier/Foxhound mix.  Rescued her from a shelter two years ago.  Sweet, loving dog and very patient with little ones.  After having her only a couple a days, she got past me when I went outside and she took off down our (relatively busy) road.  It was not the best timing as I had to pick my stepson up from school.  I ran back to the house for no reason then ran back to the road to see if I could spot her.  Now, my road runs parallel to a major divided highway that is about 200 yards from the house.  I hear somebody laying on the horn coming from the highway.  My head snaps around to see what it is and there I see Fanny crossing over the East bound lane.  Lose sight of her for a second then I see her climbing up the the embankment to the West bound lane.  She crosses there too.  I then begin facepalming my way back to the garage thinking about the money I spent on that dog to get her from the shelter, food, dishes and toys.  I was really trying to think how I was going to explain to my stepson why we were going to comb the immediate area of that section of highway looking for his new pet carcass.  Get back into the house to retrieve my wallet and car keys.  Hop into the car, back out and start heading down the driveway towards the road.  And who do I see loping up the driveway panting like a fiend?  Yep, the not so (yet) dead dog.

To this day, I still don't know how she managed to survive crossing over a busy highway twice and find her way back home after only two days of being here.  She's gotten away from us several times since, chasing deer and rabbits out of the back yard but manages to come back after an hour or less.  I think we'll have a tough time getting rid of this dog...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic