Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going to have to find a new job soon...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going to have to find a new job soon...
    Posted: 18 October 2012 at 9:04pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 10:33pm
"Job Creation"
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 8:07am
Two things:

1) Most operations involving what is essentially a technology that is still catching on take a while to build up steam. LG is taking advantage of the tax credits and grants to employ people that it sees itself needing down the line as production picks up in a recovering economy and a market seeing increasing demand for hybrid and battery-powered vehicles. Why not hire employees you foresee needing ahead of time, giving you more time to train them, if you don't have to foot the whole bill yourself?

2) I foresee hybrid and hydrogen vehicle demand increase greatly in the next decade. Gas prices aren't going to go down regardless of what happens. Unless China and India are wiped off the face of the planet and there's a peaceful overthrow of the Iranian and Syrian regimes in the next 6mo and increased regulation on commodities trading, get ready for $4/gal gas being the "good old days" within a few years.

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 11:55am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Two things:

1) Most operations involving what is essentially a technology that is still catching on take a while to build up steam. LG is taking advantage of the tax credits and grants to employ people that it sees itself needing down the line as production picks up in a recovering economy and a market seeing increasing demand for hybrid and battery-powered vehicles. Why not hire employees you foresee needing ahead of time, giving you more time to train them, if you don't have to foot the whole bill yourself?

2) I foresee hybrid and hydrogen vehicle demand increase greatly in the next decade. Gas prices aren't going to go down regardless of what happens. Unless China and India are wiped off the face of the planet and there's a peaceful overthrow of the Iranian and Syrian regimes in the next 6mo and increased regulation on commodities trading, get ready for $4/gal gas being the "good old days" within a few years.

I might have been unclear in the title...it should have been "I'm going to have to find a new job soon..."

When they built this plant and started to bring in engineers, operators, and even office workers, no one knew how to assemble a battery or how the process works.  We spent tons of time training to get the plant ready to go for start of production.  Except start of production never came.  Now as shown in the video/article, we aren't doing anything besides sitting around or volunteering at non-profits and there is no end in site.  I completely agree that they should have hired people in advanced.  It would have been foolish not too.  This is the 4th or 5th time in the past month LG Chem has been in the news about this and we all know it isn't heading in the right direction right now.

I agree with hybrid cars but as for all electric cars like the Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf, that remains uncertain.  The number one selling car every month is the Ford F Series.  The average MPG for those trucks is what...14-18? I just don't see $4 a gallon enough to really drive sales for electric cars.  I think it will need at least a constant $5 or above.  The Chevy Volt actually has decent sales in Europe last time I checked and the gas prices there are much higher.  Also, Chevy Volt is $45,000.  Most people looking to spend that much money are going to be buying something else.

I've driven the Volt a few times and really like it.  Its a pretty comfortable drive and acceleration on all electric mode is pretty impressive.  I just don't see sales improving enough for them to keep us at 1 week layoffs every month.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 12:33pm
American consumers have been trained for generations to think they need a big noisy overpowered under-engineered piece of crap in order to be real Americans. I'd be willing to be 90% of pickup sales are to people who need to use the bed once in ten years. And does anyone need more than 100hp? The 'Iron Duke' may have sucked, but it was on the right path in some ways, as were the (early) civics and other supposedly underpowered imports. Burning a ton of fuel may sound and feel good, but it's just plain stupid.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 12:56pm
You honestly think its as high as 90%?
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 1:04pm
Correction, the chevy volt SELLS for $45,000. 

It costs a whole heck of a lot more than that to produce. Course having entire plants, that are idle doesn't help "lower" costs. 

My folks had a rabbit diesel when I was a kid that got around 60 mpg on the highway. I think they paid about $4,500 for it too, back in the early 80's.

Using batteries when the technology is so far from being there, is silly. But, hey, liberals are often silly. Good thing they didn't have to use their own money for that failed gamble. Oh wait. 

Here is a list of Obama's failed "green" companies. 

They tremble at my name...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 1:29pm
People sure seem to get hung up on the batteries just "lagging" behind the rest of the technology. Batteries aren't going to be able to keep getting better forever. I don't think we even need to get into how electric cars are terrible enough for the environment themselves.

If we want to push more Eco-friendly cars; why don't we stop dumping money into bull**edited** like the Chevy Volt and its brethren and work towards hydrogen fuel cell technology and the like.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 19 October 2012 at 1:29pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Correction, the chevy volt SELLS for $45,000. 

It costs a whole heck of a lot more than that to produce. Course having entire plants, that are idle doesn't help "lower" costs.

Proof?

Everything I have heard or read about this gets their estimate from the total cost of development divided by the number of cars sold.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 1:42pm
We probably keep relying on electric cars because everyone can charge up their cars at home. When it comes to hydrogen power, we can't implement it because you can't easily drive to a nearby gas station and fill up.

I think the reason we don't switch to electric cars in large enough amounts is because electricity is expensive. I don't have actual costs, but I presume that gas is still a cheaper fuel, especially throwing in the price of a new car.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

American consumers have been trained for generations to think they need a big noisy overpowered under-engineered piece of crap in order to be real Americans.

Yup, because overpriced, overpowered cars are a strictly American tradition.

And does anyone need more than 100hp?

Does anyone need more than 2 gigs of RAM and an intel integrated card in their PC? Strange that so many people buy high end gaming rigs when they could make do with a 300 dollar Asus.

Burning a ton of fuel may sound and feel good, but it's just plain stupid.

No, it's not stupid. It's a matter of preference. If you can afford to have what you want it would be stupid not to. Otherwise we'd all live in economy apartments and drive Kias. Nothing wrong with either but lots of people work lots of years to have more than what they need.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

No, it's not stupid. It's a matter of preference. If you can afford to have what you want it would be stupid not to. Otherwise we'd all live in economy apartments and drive Kias. Nothing wrong with either but lots of people work lots of years to have more than what they need.

Obviously, if EVERYONE just wanted the bare minimum, we could all have the exact same amount of stuff. It'll be great, the government can divvy it all up fairly. It's foolproof.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

If we want to push more Eco-friendly cars; why don't we stop dumping money into bull**edited** like the Chevy Volt and its brethren and work towards hydrogen fuel cell technology and the like.

Hybrid-electric is an important stepping stone, and all-electric may very well be the most practical long-term solution. 

Hydrogen is neat sounding, but I've gone to the Rambs-side of the fence on it in quite a few ways -- it's a lot further off than a lot of other viable options, including high-efficiency diesel, hybrid-electric (Which the Toyota Prius has shown is anything but a money sink), and full-electric (I think a lot of the issue with the Leaf and the all-electric Volt is the lack of recognition to market it as a niche, city car). 

It comes down to safety. With as many cars on the road as we have in the U.S., the safety issue of hydrogen cells is just as much of a concern as the hardware advances and refuel logistics. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 7:30pm

Using batteries when the technology is so far from being there, is silly. But, hey, liberals are often silly. 

I'd be willing to be 90% of pickup sales are to people who need to use the bed once in ten years. And does anyone need more than 100hp?

Wut errywhere I look is wut. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 8:22pm
Lol, since when is more horsepower an american thing? I know american muscle, but otherwise US cars get laughably low horsepower for the engine size. I think they've gotten better, but "overpowered" certainly isn't one of the stereotypes.

It's one of my favourite observations during the top gear USA road trip in the south. They compare stats for their vehicles, and cant figure out how they manage to get so little power out of such large engines.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Choop Choop wrote:

I know american muscle, but otherwise US cars get laughably low horsepower for the engine size

Alot of this has to do with price points.

US automakers reuse the same engines, so rather than offering "X" litre V-6, "X.5 litre V-6, etc, you'll see the same engine with different horsepower ratings.

The 4.6 ford is a great example. Tiny by almost all American V8 standards but it has an ungodly HP / litre output potential, especially the DOHC Cobra engines. I have a buddy who's pulling roughly 750 horses out of a Ken Bell SC'd 03 Termy. But that same 4.6 size was seen in barely crossing 200 hp engines dropped into base model pickups and and early SN-95 Mustangs, along with big cars like Crown Vics.

American cars are actually kicking ass in terms of horsepower now-you can get a brand new 5.0 that will blow the doors off of almost anything in its price range and still get nearly 30 MPG. The Corvette is also pretty insane-the Z06 can be had for under 70K, turns 11 seconds through a quarter, tops out at over 200MPH, and still gets in the mid-to high 20's in gas mileage. My sister's friend gets 28 in his Z06.

The Shelby is another killer in its price range-I think they're hitting like 600 horses now, top speed is like 202 MPH, 11.5 Quarter mile time, and they can be bought for under 50K if you look around.

Of course I still love European ideas on performance, but American cars put out almost unmatched horsepower and performance for the money. Once 2015 hits the Camaros, Mustangs, and the new Cuda will be getting redesigned suspensions, new engine technology, and better weight ratios. At that point I think you'll see American RWD pony cars outperforming BMW's in a road course. I think the new Boss 302 came very close to beating an M3 in a road course if not actually beating it, and that's at $42K.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 8:40pm
My pops drives a cts-v... insainly fast car with a 6 speed manual. will kill just about anything on the road today...

They tremble at my name...
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 8:41pm

My pops drives a cts-v... insainly fast car with a 6 speed manual. will kill just about anything on the road today...

Completely forgot about the CTS-V. That's an amazingly engineered American car.

Watch out for those Shelby's though Wink
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Lol, since when is more horsepower an american thing? I know american muscle, but otherwise US cars get laughably low horsepower for the engine size.

365hp out of 3.5 liters is laughable?
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

[QUOTE=usafpilot07>

If we want to push more Eco-friendly cars; why don't we stop dumping money into bull**edited** like the Chevy Volt and its brethren and work towards hydrogen fuel cell technology and the like.[/QUOTE>
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">Hybrid-electric is an important stepping stone, and all-electric may very well be the most practical long-term solution. <div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">
Hydrogen is neat sounding, but I've gone to the Rambs-side of the fence on it in quite a few ways -- it's a lot further off than a lot of other viable options, including high-efficiency diesel, hybrid-electric (Which the Toyota Prius has shown is anything but a money sink), and full-electric (I think a lot of the issue with the Leaf and the all-electric Volt is the lack of recognition to market it as a niche, city car). 

It comes down to safety. With as many cars on the road as we have in the U.S., the safety issue of hydrogen cells is just as much of a concern as the hardware advances and refuel logistics. 

My problem with all electric cars stems from two things.

1) Battery technology(specifically lithium-ion tech) is reaching a point where it will seem relatively maxed out until the next big wave comes through in the form of graphene, which from what I've read is still a good ways off. Now, if it far outpaces hydrogen fuel cells to be mass consumer ready? Go for it, as long as it answers the problems in...*

2) How much are we really helping the enviroment with All electric cars when they are the product of a needlessly complicated assembly and production process and powered by (far more outdated than gasoline engines) coal plants? If Americans would wake the hell up and realize how safe nuclear power is nowadays, maybe we could make a bigger impact than puttering around in underpowered, undersized, ecologically large footprinted cars that simply shift the pollution problem farther up the chain bu demanding more energy.*

*All opinions are only valid until Tallen shows up and inevitably ruins them all with his freakish computer brain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic