FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going to have to find a new job soon...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

My pops drives a cts-v... insainly fast car with a 6 speed manual. will kill just about anything on the road today...

Completely forgot about the CTS-V. That's an amazingly engineered American car.

Watch out for those Shelby's though Wink

pfft. Mustangs are way too light at the back end. They sit and spin, while the cts-v is a rocket off the line.

They tremble at my name...
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

1) Battery technology(specifically lithium-ion tech) is reaching a point where it will seem relatively maxed out until the next big wave comes through in the form of graphene, which from what I've read is still a good ways off. Now, if it far outpaces hydrogen fuel cells to be mass consumer ready? Go for it, as long as it answers the problems in...*

There's interesting new developments in using microholes in the construction of lithium-ion batteries that might have some cool implications for cars. 

And yeah, battery tech is leveling off, as far as progression goes. 

I don't think all-electric is a good permanent answer. But I think it's the closest thing to an answer we have at this point. 

Quote 2) How much are we really helping the enviroment with All electric cars when they are the product of a needlessly complicated assembly and production process and powered by (far more outdated than gasoline engines) coal plants?

A decent amount. Yes, the electricity needed to charge all-electric comes from, often, traditional power sources, but those traditional power sources are more efficient than an internal combustion engine, at least when looking at power produced to waste produced. 

And renewable energy -- solar, wind, tidal, etc. -- is advancing far faster than hydrogen-cell vehicle tech. Hydrogen may be the future at the individual car level, but for now, the advances are at renewable. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 19 October 2012 at 9:44pm
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Lol, since when is more horsepower an american thing? I know american muscle, but otherwise US cars get laughably low horsepower for the engine size.

365hp out of 3.5 liters is laughable?

Don't doubt him. He watched an episode of Top Gear, after all. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 9:59pm

My pops drives a cts-v... insainly fast car with a 6 speed manual. will kill just about anything on the road today...

Completely forgot about the CTS-V. That's an amazingly engineered American car.

Watch out for those Shelby's though Wink

pfft. Mustangs are way too light at the back end. They sit and spin, while the cts-v is a rocket off the line.

Not really. Thing is, the GT500 for years really lacked a respectable traction control and almost never had the right tires. 

Those 2013's with the new 351... Good lord that must be fast.

Edit: Chewp, the reason American engines had terrible horsepower to displacement ratios after 1974 was largely due to emissions and insurance. The US EPA was a lot more stringent on carbon emissions that those overseas, and largely still is. Those super econobox diesels all over Europe can't meet the American standards for emissions. 

Edited by SSOK - 19 October 2012 at 10:01pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 12:45am
If a Mustang sits and spins it's because its driver doesn't know how to drive or he has crap tires (with mine it's a combination of both )

Like I said, Shelby's have been posting pretty impressive trap times since they came out in 05 or 06. Mid 12's was common back then, then after 2011 you started seeing mid-11's.

Don't get me wrong, the CTS-V is quite nice and given the option of owning one or the other for a daily driver I'd take the Cadddy hands down. But a 2011+ Shelby would tear it up in a straight race.

I came very close to trading my 4.6 for a 5.0, but with my tuner, exhaust, and soon to be rear end swap I'm so close to matching their performance that I can't justify the extra $$$ per month. I did almost do it a couple of weeks ago though, I'm quite impressed with the Coyote engine.

That said, it took Ford decades of getting their ass beat to come out on top so I wouldn't expect them to hold. The next generation of redesigns will be about handling rather than horsepower and I expect Ford to do poorly in that department. The smart thing for them to do would be to use the suspension from the Boss in the standard GT. That's sort of what they did with the my model (the 2010), rather than sinking a bunch of money into a 1 year redesign when the 5.0 was coming out the very next year, they took all of the options from the Bullitt (exhaust routed through the trunk, suspension, ram air, etc) and made it standard on the GT.

But I'm glad I got my year model. The 2010-2013 will be the last of the retros and then the Mustang will be going all euro and I'm not sure Ford can compete with euro cars on their own designs. This is the prototype floating around the net-

Dodge and Chevy are still playing their redesigns close to their chest, but I'm still pretty skeptical of the new Cuda. They really dropped the ball with the Challenger-it's a beatiful car, probably the best looking American sports car on the road right now, but soooo underwhelming in performance. Driving my mom's is an exercise is boredom and it's a shame because I inherit that car
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 1:00am
A) I like that Mustang concept more than the current body style, though it doesn't really scream "Mustang" to me.

B)Straightaway speeds aside, I'd rather have an SRT8 Challenger or a ZL1 Camaro than this iteration of the GT500.

C)I'm curious to see the dodge/Chevy redesign concepts
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 1:43am

Like I said, Shelby's have been posting pretty impressive trap times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic