FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prezzie for baba?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prezzie for baba?
    Posted: 18 October 2012 at 4:34pm
So roughly a year and 8 months ago my mate got all jiggy with the Mrs. I need to get the resulting baby a first birthday present. 

Now I want to get something epic if possible, I'm willing to spend some decent dosh and I have literally zero to no experience as to what's a good thing to get babies. Should it really be for baba? Or should I be looking at getting something more geared to the parents (I'm thinking a babycage or some kind of device to get poop off of a ceiling?) The only kind of thing I can think would be good in terms of something for the baby is a Duplo set. He might be a tiny bit on the young side right now but I still like the idea. 

Keepsakey things are fine but I'm struggling to find something that isn't cheesey/naff.

So all you guys that have sprogs of your own what do you think? What kind of gifts did you love when your waens hit the big one?

The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 4:42pm
Matches.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 4:55pm

1. Get it/them another baby for it/them to play with.

-or-

2. A power saw.

"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 5:01pm
Okay, here are some serious answers.

Get them clothing, both for the wee bairn when it is born, and for the next stage (6 months to 12 months). Then give them a whole bucket load of burp cloths. As someone who has 4 nieces and nephews, I can honestly tell you that those are the things they will be in constant need of. Clothing and burp cloths.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

dosh, baba, naff, sprogs, waens

For those keeping score at home, that's five things I didn't understand. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 6:13pm
Get them some clothes, or, i really like the Duplo block idea. Brain building toys are always great.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 6:14pm
Dosh = money/cash/blumferts
Sprog= Gas lantern
Baba= Low residue car soap.
Waens= My keyboard is actually broken I meant to write "Luxury yacht" (Pronounced "Thrope wobbler mangrove") 
Naff= Rudely shaped vegetables.

Everyday's a school day!
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 12:33am

Edited by SSOK - 19 October 2012 at 12:35am
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 9:50am
ukulele, my kid played with that for years after his first birthday.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 10:03am
If the baby is going to be a year old, it is well past burp cloths Tallen. Honestly, I would ask the parents what they need. Clothes are nice, but a lot of times the grandmothers have already gone Ape Crap and bought them all the clothes they will need until they enter preschool. Getting them a keepsake may be nice, but honestly, diapers were one of my favorite gifts. It may seem impersonal, but get them a gift certificate to either a toy store or grocery store. I know it's boring and practical, but kids are soooo freaking expensive that any help with practical things are always appreciated.

IF you do choose the cloting route, always buy larger. I.E. if the kid is 1 year old, buy 18 month+ clothes. And buy practical clothes. Our first was a girl and good gawd we had more freaking frilly dresses and fancy crap then we knew what to do with. I know there were umpteen outfits that never even got worn because it's not like you are attendingthe queens birthday evey night or anything when you have kids. Practical, sturdy, somewhat unisex clothes are the best way to go. Especially if they plan on spitting out a second anytime soon, and it ends up being the opposite sex.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 10:39am
Baby Einstein videos. They're like heroin for 3 month olds and up. They'll appreciate the extra babysitter.

That, or if you really are willing to drop some dosh on them, a nice stroller or walker. Both are must haves.

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

If the baby is going to be a year old, ]

I took the 8 month comment to mean that the couple got busy 8 months ago and are 1 month from birth.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 19 October 2012 at 10:41am
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

If the baby is going to be a year old, ]

I took the 8 month comment to mean that the couple got busy 8 months ago and are 1 month from birth.

Same here.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 11:01am
Educational games and videos. Little Einsteins, Team OomiZoomi, large shape puzzles, Gift certificate for a store so the parents can pick out the present. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 2:52pm
Get something that is loud and requires batteries. Nothing is better than sending a kid back home with something that will drive the parents nuts. I would go with getting them a few small items over one large one.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic