FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wii U

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wii U
    Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:53pm
Anybody else excited / pre-ordering?

I tried to preorder today but it was pointless. I have a friend with connections at the local Toys R Us and he's gonna have them hold one back for me on launch day.

Console launches bring out the 12 year old in me. I couldn't care less about the games, but there's something about unboxing a brand new system that makes you feel like god.

Hopefully Nintendo redeems itself and gives us some old fashioned, joystick controlled Zelda / Mario goodness.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 9:19pm
How much will it cost, and how much for additional "controller"... I will need 4, so that may put a dampener on my enthusiasm if each additional controller is an arm and a leg...

Is it a blu ray player too?
They tremble at my name...
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 9:26pm
Someday I might buy a console, but since I've never owned one and used them so seldom I feel that getting my butt handed to me by 12 year olds constantly would kill the fun. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

How much will it cost, and how much for additional "controller"... I will need 4, so that may put a dampener on my enthusiasm if each additional controller is an arm and a leg...

Is it a blu ray player too?
It won't be a blu ray player, but I don't see that it needs to be one in order to compete. There are so many options out there aside from the fact that the PS3 is still essentially the best Blu Ray player out there along with being a great game system.

There's mixed info on the controllers. So the main controller pad that comes with the system is quite expensive-you're looking at around 180 bucks to replace it if it breaks from what I've read.

BUT-they've also released specs on what they call the WII U Pro controller that is "apparently" compatible with most all of the games (expect the single player games like Zelda to make use of the Wii pad I'd imagine) and it's only 49.99.

It actually looks alot like a cross between a PS3 and a 360 controller, which is another reason I'm super excited for the Wii U:

Edited by stratoaxe - 14 October 2012 at 9:35pm
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:19pm
Who has the Wii u? What do you think of it?
They tremble at my name...
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:29pm
I was playing the new Mario game on a wiimote and I had fun. We had one person using a wiimote and the weird bootleg ipad that comes with it.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Who has the Wii u? What do you think of it?

Got mine on launch, can't recommend it unless you're like me and a hardcore Nintendo nerd.

The tech is nifty and the controller is kind of cool but it's alot of cash just to say you've got one. The main reason I got mine was to play games in 1080p but now it looks like Nintendo squirreled us on their performance estimates and a big 1080P library is unlikely.

The other issue is that if you break your controller Nintendo has no plans of selling new ones. You MIGHT be able to get in touch with Nintendo directly for a fee (early ideas are like 200 bucks.)

So until Nintendo starts releasing actual 3D IP's (Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bro's) it's pretty likely that a PC is still your best bet to enjoy current releases in full HD.

As far as current games, all but ZombiU, Mario (sidescroller), Nintendo Land, Scribblenauts, and Pikmin are just ports. I got Assassin's creed 3 but I'll likely end up trading it for Mario and getting AC 3 for my laptop.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic