Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hmm, Global warming stopped 16 years ago...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hmm, Global warming stopped 16 years ago...
    Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:32pm
American liberal media ignores... 

They tremble at my name...
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:44pm
Even if this were true, it would be a horrible thing to tell the public. So many people would think they can now pollute as much as they want because nothing is happening.

I'm not going to read the whole thing, but I don't care if the world has stopped getting warmer, advancement in technology and less reliance on oil is what we need to look for. Our infrastructure needs to be revamped and the government needs to be able to take charge of some of it. We can't have alternate fuels for the masses because the government wants private companies to do it. There isn't a company working towards alternate fuels that could support changing, for example, our vehicle fuels to electricity or hydrogen.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:52pm
There are many factors that lead to the melting of glaciers. All of the nuclear testing if a huge one according to the engineers I listen to. Also the depletion of the ozone. much of the climate is just cyclic. A big concern that isn't addressed much is the actual weight of the ice that is displaced and it's effects on fault lines etc.
Sent from a phone booth
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:54pm

Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Even if this were true, it would be a horrible thing to tell the public. So many people would think they can now pollute as much as they want because nothing is happening. 

See, this is how I feel.

I see global warming as kind of an exaggerated aside to the real issue at hand-we should be working to actively operate at a cleaner, more healthy rate. While your 454 Chevelle may not kill penguins every time it starts, too much uncontrolled air pollution contributes to health problems, birth defects, and the overall quality of life for the people. So I don't see the relevance of global warming in the overall debate-okay, so it's wrong, that doesn't mean we go back to polluting our environment.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I'm not going to read the whole thing, but I don't care if the world has stopped getting warmer, advancement in technology and less reliance on oil is what we need to look for. Our infrastructure needs to be revamped and the government needs to be able to take charge of some of it. We can't have alternate fuels for the masses because the government wants private companies to do it. There isn't a company working towards alternate fuels that could support changing, for example, our vehicle fuels to electricity or hydrogen.

You had me till there. Then I was throwing up.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:32pm
I noticed that it says world average. Thats a pretty large sample size. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:35pm
Blaming the climate issue on people because they use spray cans and refrigerant is just a really great way to make you feel guilty and inclined to give up more tax dollars to fix something that is YOUR fault. I suppose the nasty addition to the ozone damage that the fukashima incident created is probably from japanese graffiti artists and people recharging the ac on their twin turbo nitrous buggies.
Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

I noticed that it says world average. Thats a pretty large sample size. 

Why would the sample be anything less? Is there an atmospheric force field blocking is from the rest of the world?
Sent from a phone booth
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 9:16pm
1. That's a pitifully small amount of data for a climate study, actually all of the available recorded data is a small sample. 

2. CFCs and the ozone make a lot of sense based on the chemistry, those molecules will wreck a ton of ozone molecules each. Protocols against CFC have actually been fairly effective. 

3. Fallout is a big deal, much bigger than we like to admit, but so are things like, say, volcanic eruptions that spew massive amounts of CO2 and gasses.

4. If doing the same thing over and over again is the definition of insanity, someone needs to lock me up for biting at FE's trolled lures. He either lacks the mental tools to weigh scientific studies, distrusts science in general (satan manipulates Carbon 14 numbers to discredit the young earth theory, so how could any measurements not be tainted?) or feels that even if something truly cataclysmic were predicted, it would be a fulfillment of prophecy and God's will, and people shouldn't bother trying to avoid it, which is why you should pray over broken bones instead of getting them set by doctors who are probably atheists. He's clearly been inoculated against reason, or just smashed his head one too many times thanks to BMX

BTW- Global warming ended in early August of this year by mah reckoning, praise be to Jeebus!

Edited by rednekk98 - 14 October 2012 at 9:23pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 9:35pm
There's a lot of statistical cherry picking with regards to glacial data. It's basically the same kind of number twisting that you see in presidential debates. If someone makes a statistical claim and another opposes the statistic, someone is lying. While there are certain glaciers that are growing in size, the overall picture suggests that global glaciers are receding as a whole.

The NRC has already made a statement that an incident like fukashima WILL happen here. We have the exact same GE reactors sitting on or near fault lines. This is what makes nuclear power one of the dumbest things ever.
Sent from a phone booth
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

There's a lot of statistical cherry picking with regards to glacial data. It's basically the same kind of number twisting that you see in presidential debates. If someone makes a statistical claim and another opposes the statistic, someone is lying. While there are certain glaciers that are growing in size, the overall picture suggests that global glaciers are receding as a whole.

The NRC has already made a statement that an incident like fukashima WILL happen here. We have the exact same GE reactors sitting on or near fault lines. This is what makes nuclear power one of the dumbest things ever.

Again though, I'd say the global warming has related to the public in a couple of ways-

1:) To promote overall environmental awareness

2:) To further Al Gore and other far left enviro-enthusiasts' agendas (I'm being polite with that term)

So as #1 I think it worked quite nicely, but when #2 got involved the public began rejecting all environmental progression on the whole.

I have no idea how much truth there is to it because it's far different than any direction my education will ever take. I tend to apply Occam's Razor to everything though am an eternal skeptic. I think that the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle-it's real, but we're probably not going to make any major changes to its existence. But that's just off the top of my head reasoning, not scientific data.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 9:47pm
Always amazes me how something as simple as pollution being bad is STILL somehow up for debate, and somehow becomes a political issue. Only America would tie global warming with taxes.

Jesus people, come on. Don't pollute, do you REALLY need someone to explain why? The world is ALWAYS undergoing climate change, because that's just how it works and always has worked (unless you think the ice age didnt happen or something) and we should try to not make it worse. And if we dont impact climate change, then you still shouldn't be an idiot and pollute.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

Again, there's a big difference between climate and weather, glaciers will grow if there's more precipitation than melt, and hotter weather in certain places puts more moisture into the atmosphere, and more precipitation. It's not going to be a linear rise in temps everywhere, but weather patters will change, which leads to instability in climate and markets. Considering the potential cost of ill effects VS. moving to reduce emissions, coupled with the additional benefits of reducing emissions, it's worth taking a crack at alternative energy.

Nuke reactors are sketchy at best and expensive, I'm all for shutting down a lot of the old style GE plants. VT Yankee can piss off, and the way the NRC does business is screwed. I would at least like to see newer plants build. that said, I don't know how many of our GE style reactors are in danger of tsunamis that knock out electrical generators needed to run cooling pumps. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Choopie Choopie wrote:

Only America would tie global warming with taxes.

I think it's slightly more complicated than that. There is no don't pollute-there's an argument as to what level of pollution can be cut versus how much said cut costs. There's misinformation on both sides compounded by a general mystery surrounding the whole subject.

So if a company is going to lose billions (obviously a random example) to cut x amount of pollution, yeah it may be doing some good, but what is the level of good versus the economic impact? If you spend 20 million dollars on a feed the homeless program and feed one guy techincally you did some good but the economic impact may have been more considerable than the good accomplished.

Not taking a side here, but I wouldn't necessarily classify Americans as walking mouth breathers going WE WONT PAY TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT either.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 10:15pm
There are way too many within striking distance of a tsunami. Being near the ocean is very convenient for cooling. Almost 140 reactors have been decommissioned since january 2011, with Germany really leading the way with their plan to eradicate the foolish method for power.

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/map-power-reactors.html
Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Always amazes me how something as simple as pollution being bad is STILL somehow up for debate, and somehow becomes a political issue. Only America would tie global warming with taxes.

Jesus people, come on. Don't pollute, do you REALLY need someone to explain why? The world is ALWAYS undergoing climate change, because that's just how it works and always has worked (unless you think the ice age didnt happen or something) and we should try to not make it worse. And if we dont impact climate change, then you still shouldn't be an idiot and pollute.

What I think was the worst move on the "Eco-activist" side of things(and I had trouble picking a title to use, because I don't think it's a bad thing, and I think MOST people at the very least don't want to live in toxic waste), is when pollution got inexplicably tied to fossil fuels and global warming.

Plenty of people were turning towards being more environmentally conscious, before global warming became the rallying point for extremists supporting the green movement. The Earth has had at least five major ice ages, so how do you convince people that their hairspray is going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things?

Instead of promoting the short term effects(which is the easiest way to reach the masses), people began harping on things like fossil fuels and global warming.

I'm not saying that we haven't made at least SOME progress, at least in the western world/Japan, but I think people would get behind the movement more if the environment had a better PR department than the people who refuse to accept that our temperatures cycle on their own, regardless of whether or not we impact that cycle.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 10:28pm
Canada is doing about the least to rid their country of nuclear garbage producers. I'm sure politics has little to do with this. Of course the engineers and scientists in germany pull from an extremely poor gene pool and they're nuts for thinking that nuclear power is completely a bad idea.
Sent from a phone booth
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 10:33pm
That's just silly. Making people think about the impact they're having on the planet is just sensible. We're finally in a position to truly appreciate what's going on and how we're doing it. If not using CFC sprays are going to help then I don't see the argument. The chemistry is there so stop fannying about and bring environmental care into the republican propaganda.

As an outsider I find that most of the republican chat is pish. If that's liberal slant on the media then so be it .On the most part they talk complete bollocks.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

That's just silly. Making people think about the impact they're having on the planet is just sensible. We're finally in a position to truly appreciate what's going on and how we're doing it. If not using CFC sprays are going to help then I don't see the argument. The chemistry is there so stop fannying about and bring environmental care into the republican propaganda.<div style="color: rgb255, 255, 255; ">
<div style="color: rgb255, 255, 255; ">As an outsider I find that most of the republican chat is pish. If that's liberal slant on the media then so be it .On the most part they talk complete bollocks.

If that's the message I put across, then I worded my post poorly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 10:47pm
I took you for a conservative usaf, not a republican.
Sent from a phone booth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic