FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beau update.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beau update.
    Posted: 13 October 2012 at 10:49am
My Basset Beau, the one with the aggresive cancer is soldiering on. The mass on his 'face' has tripled in size in two weeks, his left eye is blocked, and it is still growing. Per the vet I do a 'mass' check everyday, as long as he can breathe and the skin is not overstretched and no percieved pain, vet says let him enjoy. I have the shot when the time comes, will give him a great steak dinner, will take that last walk, and we will let him come in and enjoy the fireplace as he goes to sleep on his own bed.

We take a long walk around the farm daily, he 'gallumps' now and then when something interests him, and he always turns to see thast I am still behind him. This is the hardest thing I have endured in a long time. I have a harder time dealing with these thjings as I get older. My last guys and gals just passed in thier sleep naturally without any indication, easier that way I guess.

Each day when I go out Beau and his best friend the 'rescued' Abby just lay on thier pad together in the sun, and Duke the alpha male just sits there 'overwatching', you know they know.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 7:01pm
So sorry to hear. Makes me appreciate my one and a half year old dachshund a little more. My parents had to put down a golden retriever who had many years left because of cancer. It's never easy
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 3:31am
Unhappy
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:14am
Sorry to hear that OS. Extremely hard to lose a dog you've grown attached to. I don't think I could administer the shot myself.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:45am
Losing a dog is a tough time for me too.

There's a book that a lady in class read bits and pieces from that is written from a dogs perspective. The book is about the dog dying and how he's ok with it, and how he wants his owner to be happy.

She said it really helped her in dealing with the loss of her dog.

I don't recall the name of the book.
Sent from a phone booth
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 12:59pm
I've got an old dog myself and although generally healthy I can see him getting older in front of me. He's so slow now and sometimes I reckon he's senile. He does have quite a few growths/tumors  on his underside and chest but he seems ok and the vets aren't too bothered after the Biopsy. 

That said he's stressing me out because I think his days are numbered somewhat but I've thought that for probably close to 2 years now.

It's a crap state of affairs right enough.

The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 8:28am
Gutted.  There is an innocense in dogs.  They give unconditional love and friendship.  They don't understand politics or religion and nor would they care.  Their entire world revolves around their owner and they have complete trust.  Owners understand this on some level or another.  That is what makes it so hard to do "the right thing" when the time comes.  I have been there a few times.  There is nothing worse than taking part in easing the pain of a loyal companion.  The peace of mind from ending that pain is a small comfort at first.  While you are easing their pain, yours increases.  There is no way to relate just how much that sucks.

Edited by StormyKnight - 16 October 2012 at 8:29am
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 8:39am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Gutted.  There is an innocense in dogs.  They give unconditional love and friendship.  They don't understand politics or religion and nor would they care.  Their entire world revolves around their owner and they have complete trust.  Owners understand this on some level or another.  That is what makes it so hard to do "the right thing" when the time comes.  I have been there a few times.  There is nothing worse than taking part in easing the pain of a loyal companion.  The peace of mind from ending that pain is a small comfort at first.  While you are easing their pain, yours increases.  There is no way to relate just how much that sucks.

Holy crap, this.

My mother's 8 year old Irish Setter just had to be put down a month or so ago. That dog had been her sidekick since day one, and they were inseparable especially after losing the house with everything in it. The dog just quit eating one day and he was too old and sick for exploratory surgery to find out what was wrong. My mother was an inconsolable wreck, and that animal kept his head on her lap until the very end.

Talk about a ruined day.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 8:44am
He went to the vet yesterday for his weekly. The mass under his eye is a combination of fiberous mass, as well as an abcess. The mucus and pus are causing the majority of the swelling. Doc drained a little the rest will 'burst' through the ulcer here soon. Will be a mess, but not serious. Right now based on the new tests he has best case 4 weeks.

It is so hard, we walk the pasture daily, the basset waddle and gallump when he finds something interesting just brings tears. We have the memory book almost finished, from a pup in the mass of 22 or 'buckets of pups' as my daughter used to call them as she loaded the laundry baskets with pups to take outside, to today.

Yesterday he was so excited for his truck ride, I guess memories of the days in the big truck traveling all over the country. He sat in the back seat, head between the front seats resting on center console, watching the world go by. I have jotted done some notes and stuff, titled "Travels with Beau", may do a short book of thoughts and memories.

We sat last night on the back porch, he curled up on his bed pad, near the fire, and just watched me. His eyes just sad, he knows I think and does not want to leave, leaving me alone, and I know he will be waiting for me across the bridge when I get there.

Many of you do not believe in God, and I question at times, but now each night I thank him for another day with Beau, and ask a simple favor of one more day we can share wandering the pasture and just sitting enjoying each others company.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 9:43am
OS, your current experience is affecting me on a very strong level.  I'm not sure if because some of the circumstances are the same, the fact that my dog had the exact same name as yours or all of the above.  Man, I know what you're going through.  Been there been there been there, man have I been there...

My mother found out that her cousin's dog had a litter of puppies.  She decided that she wanted a dog.  My father is NOT a dog person and told her under no circumsance that a dog would be welcome in our home.  Mom wanted one of those puppies and Dad still said no.  So, the only logical thing Mom could do was go on strike.  She didn't cook.  She didn't clean.  She didn't do laundry.  The only time she came out of the bedroom was to use the bathroom.  This went on for two days before Dad caved.  "Go get your damned dog!", I believe was the exact wording he used.

Beau was a Heinz 57 dog.  Had a little bit of everything in him.  Black lab, Wirey Terrier and Shepherd mix.  He was going to be an outdoor dog, but that lasted only one night.  Since he was taken from his mother and sibs he didn't much care for being alone and would cry at night.  So for 3 days, I slept on the kitchen floor in a sleeping bag to keep him company.  After that all it took was leaving something I wore that day that had my scent on it that comforted him.

He was rather spirited and didn't give up the puppy in him for years.  Had some serious wanderlust and if he got away, there was no calling him back.  On more than one occasion he'd return with a serious limp that turned out to be a broken leg.  Hit by a car I'd imagine.  The vet suggested after the cast was removed that he get regular exercise to strengthen that leg.  That is when he became my companion on my paper route.  My customers loved seeing us come by and give him treats at Christmas time.

Years go by and I graduated high school and leave for college.  Dad pretty much became Beau's companion.  He kept Dad company after his job was eliminated.  He'd follow Dad all around the house.  Had to be in the same room with him.  Over twelve years have gone by and Beau was getting slower and possibly arthritic.  He would come up to the chair that either Dad or I were in and just whistle softly looking for a scratch behind the ears and such.  He was always obliged.  It was a new behavior for attention.  He would really only vocalize if he wanted something really bad or tried to engage us in play, but those were loud barks or howls.

Took Beau to the vet one day for a checkup.  Doc said he seemed anemic and his rib bones seemed pronounced along his back.  Wanted to keep him overnight for some tests.  The next day we got a call.  The reason Beau was anemic was because he had a large blood-filled mass that was entwined within his intestines.  There was no removing it.  It was getting to the point of bursting which would mean he would bleed out and die.  Doc said that Beau was in a quite a bit of pain because of this mass and hinted that the humane thing to do would be to put him to sleep.  Dazed, I was repeating this to my father, brother and sister.  I told him we would be in soon to take care of it.

All those months.  All those months he would come up to us and whistle softly through his nose wasn't asking for affection.  He was telling us there was something wrong.  He was telling us he was in pain.  I imagine he was wanting us to stop it somehow.  This was the hardest realization for me and my family.  Why the change in his behavior didn't make us suspicious, I'll never know.  It is a guilt that still haunts me today.  To anyone that has a dog or cat that is exhibiting a change of behavior, please take note of it.  You're animal may be trying to communicate with you.  Don't ignore or take it for granted.  Please.

Before we left, I helped my brother dig a grave on my parent's property.  I never felt so numb or sick to my stomach.  We gathered up some of Beau's toys and the sleeping bag I used to sleep in next to him when he was a pup.  We would bury him with those items including his dishes.

We finally get to the vet and are taken downstairs to the OR where they do their procedures.  They bring in Beau who is ecstatic to see us.  Yipping and wagging his tail.  Just can't wait to go home.  That is when I begin to break down followed by my brother, sister and father.  We all spent several minutes with him.  I don't know if he sensed our distress or not.  He just wanted out of there so he could go home.  And finally the hardest thing I ever had to do to this very day, was to lift him up and put him on the table for the injection.  I put my arms around him as they lifted his foreleg and injected whatever it is they use.  He snarled a little, but then his eyes rolled up and he went limp.  I guided him down to a laying position on the table and just kept whispering in his ear, "Its ok, you're going to be ok..." over and over again until he was gone.

We brought him home.  My other brother was at work at the time and didn't know what had happened until he got home.  He opened the trunk of the car and reached in for Beau.  What happened next was one of the most violent displays I've seen from my brother.  He broke every stitch of glass out of his car in a rage.  My mother who also was at work visited with Beau before we buried him.

This upcoming February will mark 20 years since we lost Beau.  It still affects me just like it is now while I typed this.  I never had a better companion and loyal protector than that dog.

For the TL;DR crowd:
I had a dog named Beau.  He ended up with a blood filled tumor in his abdomen that was inoperable.  We had him put to sleep.  We were very sad.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 10:08am
I've had bassets since I was 8. It was the family choice of dog, based on all the factors of the basset. I remmeber my days in school 'Snoop' would always be there waiting for his walk. When I came back from overseas mom told me only then 'Snoop' was gone, there was a sadness that I could not explain.
For all the years in the Army, and after having bassets all these years made my life tolerable based on all the positives of having unconditional love and trust. My saying was always when looking into the sad faces of my boys and girls was no matter how bad my day was, that face made my day no longer that bad.

Why Beau is affecting me so bad is unknown, maybe it is my cancer, and the fears therein, as Beau struggles through and tries to soldier on with his. He is in no or very little pain based on the type of cancer and the place, just uncomfortable not being able to breathe through the nose, but he has adapted well.

The majority of my 'troops' went in thier sleep, just one night they were gone. Old Beau, this Beaus dad is buried in a rest area along I-70 in Kansas. He was 13, he was on the truck with me, we stopped for the night, and as usual we had our walk and coffee by one of the picnic tables. We got back in the truck, he settled in in the passenger seat well, and began his 'guard' looking out the floor level window in the passenger door, and I went to sleep on the bunk. I woke up, started coffee and called for him, no response, he passed during the night, still curled up and peacefull.
I buried him along a stone wall there at the rest stop, with his bed, covered with my poncho liner covering him, his toys and bowls there too, nailed his 'dogtag' to a wooden stake and had to sit for the day, could not move. Last year I went by and stopped, the stake and dogtag are still there, and I sat and talked to him for a little sharing a cup of coffee and tales of his pups.

I fear the day when it comes for Beau, will I be strong enough to comfort him. It will be done here at home, his bedpad set up by the TV room fireplace where we spent hours lately. I just hope that he understands, and I can be a brave as he is as I battle my cancer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic