FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XCOM Enemy Unknown
    Posted: 10 October 2012 at 5:27pm
For those who remmember the old XCOM series the new one XCOM Enemy Unknown is a blast. Very, Very steep learning curve, and it is going to take awhile before you get any 'good' results. So far I have been in 3 firefights won 2 just barely, and had to evac on #3. Alien weaponry at first way to powerfull, and you are scrambling to get any results. You gotta move and shoot, doing DIP's is a sure loser. The AI is slow so if you move and go to the flanks the AI still plods down the middle.

All in all fun...but do miss the old games to a point.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 5:57pm
Before I saw who posted this, I thought it was going to be another post from our resident wacko who thinks Tippmann is trying to assassinate him.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 1:39am
It is still the best game ever. Don't forget the use of flares, grenades and HE explosives to re design the terrain. The only drawback is Terror missions, you must reduce the use of HE.

I used to be so honestly hooked at playing it that with the guided launchers I could stand in the spawn and drop a missile in to the command center of a base or ship by memory, clicking in the dark :)

Don't forget laser rifles. They are worth more being sold than it costs to make them, so you can turn a profit if you max out the laser production. My Xcom team was a major arms manufacturer. We made the guys in Lords of War look small time. The laser rifle was the new AK. I'd sell it to anyone :) I had a base set up that only had a squad of soldiers, a couple of defense turrets and maxed out engineer quaters and manufacturing rooms.

I also found that aimed shooting or burst firing was the best. Snap shooting was more or less a waste of time.

Remember watch the corners, dominate the angles and cover your team mates.

Can't wait for the new version!

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 2:05am
It is a blast, new versions of aliens, a lot of the old 'tricks' are revamped and not available till tech is way advanced.
Right now I am just surviving on plain 'bullet launchers' rifles and mgs and a rocket launcher against the sectoids and the 'skinny men' a new alien human replica. Basically shoot and move, and keep spread out but covering each other.

So far one base, main in North America, 1 satellite watching, 6 troopers, and very low tech, got to get certian amounts of alien 'tech' to start research on anything other than terran advance tech.

I am only a LT, and my troops are moving up as I balance thier promotions and skills to keep us all relativly equal in skill.

Only shot down 1 UFO a light scout, harder than it was in old game, basically I am dealing with 'terror' missions and recoveries of humans from captivity.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 4:06pm
Addicting....still playing and without the 'cheat book'. So far not doing so well. I am a Major, lost quite a few troops in the various missions. My tech is not advancing as fast as hoped, the aliens are getting bigger and tougher, and I am losing terran allies too fast. You lose 8 terran areas and you lose, I have lost 7 based on the missions assigned and assets available.

I have laser weapons standard, plasma available but not enough alien alloy for construction, to get alloys you got to capture UFO's on the ground, wrecked or landed. And the UFO's are too big for my interceptors to take down at my current tech. My troops are well armored against plasma, flame and chemical so good there, full 6 man squad, good divison of assault, support, sniper.

Right now attacking an alien base I located. Just entered, took out the guard drones, no loses or friendly hits, got a narrow hall to a large door up ahead. Support in overwatch and approaching door, I got a bad feeling about this, door is awefull big, and why?
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 2:29am
Not as much skill required as the old game, IMHO. The original needed some serious thinking and planning in the tactical levels.

This strikes me a little more as point and click console interface.

That does not stop it being as fun as all hell.

Bloody French pulled out of XCom in the first month. Typical. I've only now figured out how to run the sattelites/research/building and the like, so it's good to go.

I've still got my original team together, they are all Captains or soemthing and absolutely hard core. I have a sniper, one assaults, two heavys and two support. I maxed out my medical skills (still working on improved medic packs) but if my guys take a hit they get healed PDQ. I basically have my sniper protected by a LMG'er, my assaulter with "my" character who is support and the last LMG with the next support. Am busy researching Plasma sniper rifles to replace the laser one, my assaulter has a laser shotgun, one LMG'er is using a gattling laser, one is with an old belt fed, one support is with a light plasma rifle and "I" have a full plasma rifle.

I spend loads of time in overwatch. They are wearing a mix of Titan armour and Carapace, as I can make it, it trickles down. My assaulter basically runs in and opens things up for the sniper who has squad vision. He then lures them back to the LMG'ers. The LMG'ers have the ability to shoot more than once if it is the first thing they do every turn. Or they can shoot then move. That's really handy for reverse leapfrogging movements.

I still have issues with the enemy being in groups of 3 vs my groups of 2, but it is still fun.

Designing your base is very important to get the adjacent bonuses.

Really anoyed. During a landed terror ship mission, my South African trooper who I renamed after myself and designed to look like me went toe to two with a Muton Bezerker and his two mates and took some serious damage but held out. Is down for 7 days with wounds and my very next mission? Port Elizabeth in South Africa. :(

PS unlock the reduced healing time ASAP!

KBK

PPS this doesn't "feel" like the original game, it feels more like X-Com Afterlight. That is a great game. I suggest anyone who likes the X-Com series to try it.

PPPS most epic moment so far is first time coming across a Cyberdisk, the drones, some Sectoids and some Floaters all repositioned around the Cyberdisk. Say hello to Mr ROCKET LAUNCHER. I took out 8 enemy with one rocket. :)

Edited by Kayback - 19 October 2012 at 2:45am
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic