FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So, this is happening tomorrow.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 2:42pm
The craziest moment was when he saluted, then just walked off the step.

Boss.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 2:51pm
Parachutes are for sissies.
Sent from a phone booth
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 3:09pm
What a cool thing to see. I love that as the assent was happening, it wasn't on TV anywhere, and hundreds of thousands of people were watching live on youtube. We live in the future.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 3:23pm
It was on Discovery.  The spokesman came out and confirmed he broke mach1.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 4:23pm
For me, the whole thing had added awesome when my 3 year old sat on the floor, yelling

"aaaahhhhhhhhhh, he's falling! He's gonna die! ahhhhhhhhhhh!" - during the entire descent. I couldn't quit laughing, because he's not quite old enough to explain it to him....although when it was all said and done, he stood up, turned to me and said.

"Daddy. He fell from outer space and didn't get hurt. That was amazing."

I'm glad I was able to watch it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

"He fell from outer space and didn't get hurt. That was amazing."

pretty well sums it up
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

pretty well sums it up

Reb, your killed nailed it on the head. 
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:18pm
CNN is claiming Mach 1.24 @ 833mph. Holy crap, that was nuts. You could tell from his demeanor when he went to stand up that he was set, calm, and focused, hence he pulled out of the spin. The view from the capsule showing his acceleration was what really made it for me. One of the more amazing manned space-related events I've seen in my lifetime, considering the others were shuttle disasters.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

CNN is claiming Mach 1.24 @ 833mph. Holy crap, that was nuts. You could tell from his demeanor when he went to stand up that he was set, calm, and focused, hence he pulled out of the spin. The view from the capsule showing his acceleration was what really made it for me. One of the more amazing manned space-related events I've seen in my lifetime, considering the others were shuttle disasters.

I think they mentioned during he ascent that the spin was expected as he came out of the supersonic fall.

Still, absolutely incredible. I laughed a little when he said it felt like he'd been falling for half an hour(at the 3:00 mark). Wish his mask had let him fall the last 15-30 seconds he had planned on.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:47pm
He spun because there isn't enough air to cause enough drag for him to correct himself. That's why he had been practicing the best way to jump without spinning during his training.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:39pm
I'm aware that spin was a problem he'd trained for, and though I don't know how thick the atmosphere is up there or how easy it is to control yourself while traveling through it at 700mph (I suspect there are 2-3 people on the planet who really do) it seems that it was something that would have got worse quite quickly if control wasn't established before the atmosphere got thicker, and tat may have left him unable to regain control of the spin. I'm also aware that the chutes automatically deploy at a certain altitude in case someone loses consciousness, but also aware that mechanical things can fail and cause a dirt-dart. I've never jumped out of a plane, but I've jumped off cliffs into water just enough to know that acceleration is surprisingly fast, and that it takes some focus to get stable and in form in a quick fashion. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

pretty well sums it up
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2012 at 2:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic