FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Update/ check in thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:06pm
Whale, I'm genuinely jealous of your job.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Whale, I'm genuinely jealous of your job.

You're on the same path. Just when you think you're going to quit school, instead, stay in school forever. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Yeah, if I wanted to move farther away, I'd have been able to expand my options pretty well. I'd really like to stay in the eastern half of NC if at all possible, and I'm trying REALLY hard to find a position where Id go straight to a sworn PO1 spot after FTO, instead of spending a couple years in a jail.

There's only a few agencies in NC that run their own academies though, and about half of them are places I just do not want to live in.

I may have been a little too picky to begin with, but I'm pretty confident I could find what I want if I go back and get certified on my own.(and it's not like it'd cost me a lot. I'd be sponsored by my sheriff, so all I'd be out would be the cost of my books)

This may all be moot anyways, as I'm still in the process with my top two agencies.

Have you ever considered working for a municipality instead of a county? No worries about being a jailer, most decent sized municipalities pay you through the academy, and, the main reason, job security (civil service vs at will agency). Or does your desire for location restrict your ability to find a decent city to work for?
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Yeah, if I wanted to move farther away, I'd have been able to expand my options pretty well. I'd really like to stay in the eastern half of NC if at all possible, and I'm trying REALLY hard to find a position where Id go straight to a sworn PO1 spot after FTO, instead of spending a couple years in a jail.

There's only a few agencies in NC that run their own academies though, and about half of them are places I just do not want to live in.

I may have been a little too picky to begin with, but I'm pretty confident I could find what I want if I go back and get certified on my own.(and it's not like it'd cost me a lot. I'd be sponsored by my sheriff, so all I'd be out would be the cost of my books)

This may all be moot anyways, as I'm still in the process with my top two agencies.

Have you ever considered working for a municipality instead of a county? No worries about being a jailer, most decent sized municipalities pay you through the academy, and, the main reason, job security (civil service vs at will agency). Or does your desire for location restrict your ability to find a decent city to work for?

I've actually only applied to cities thus far, because of the jail thing combined with wanting a paid academy. There's probably <10 municipalities that run their own academies right now, and I can only think of 3 SOs who do. If I don't get one of the two current jobs I'm applied for, it's not such a bad thing. Completing BLET opens up a TON more cities/counties as potential landing spots, especially in the eastern part of the state.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 11:26am
You guys are all we into your lives haha. I am a bum.

I am moving to Colorado for ski season. That's about it. After that I'm going to try to go somewhere else for the summer. I think I want to work seasonally.
Que pasa?

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 3:01pm

One and a half terms until I graduate with a BS in PS.

Currently reading 450 pages a week about Afghanistan, and taking my first math class in... 7 years. Swore I'd never take another, but apparently I was too lazy to do two years of foreign language.

Still taking pictures, here's one from the first roll with my new (now broken) pride and joy, the hasselblad 500c (click for flickr/bigger):

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 5:00pm
Now living on my own, recently became a nationally registered Radiologic Technologist, and work at a nearby hospital. The department has began paying to train me into more advanced modalities which would otherwise takes years of additional school.

Pursuing a BS in Radiologic Sciences and Healthcare administration. After earning that I'll likely apply for and begin medical school (eek). 

Recently celebrated  my fourth anniversary with the same girl.

And I also still take pictures:

And combine X-ray with Photography:

Edited by *Stealth* - 09 October 2012 at 5:05pm
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 6:17pm
Well, I'm still a reservist in the army, and the idiots promoted me to Sergeant. That came with a modest pay raise, and a move out of being a rifle section commander (which I loved) into being my unit's operations sergeant with recruiting NCO as a second hat- all of which has been pretty cool in its own right.

I'm also now potentially just a couple more months away from getting into the RCMP, our federal police force. The money's bloody excellent (we treat our cops well here), and the career paths have all kinds of possibilities. I'll definitely get good chances to travel a bit farther down the road. It's been close to a two year process in recruitment, and they're finally doing my last background investigation and giving me appointments for medical exams, second language testing, etc. It's close.

I'm happily in a relationship for the psat year- ironically she's trying to get into the army full time as a clerk. Again, our military is paid considerably better than the U.S., so it's not a bad career option for someone with a two year diploma in business admin / accounting.

That's about it, really...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 7:22pm
College, etc. Not having the best of times, but all is okay. I go through phases where I feel like I am going nowhere in life and only racking up more debt.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 7:32pm
Now I want to join the Canadian military.

Stealth, sell those X Ray shots. That's crazy decorative. You have awesome talent with a camera.

Edited by stratoaxe - 09 October 2012 at 7:34pm
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Now I want to join the Canadian military.

Stealth, sell those X Ray shots. That's crazy decorative. You have awesome talent with a camera.
LOL glass rose
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 7:53pm
What ever happened to Funky?
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by bravecoward bravecoward wrote:

What ever happened to Funky?

Poor Funky
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

In June I finished my BA in Design and Media at SFU in Vancouver, and soon after got an offer at Crispin Porter+Bogusky to go be an Interaction Design at their headquarters in Boulder, Colorado. There were 28 interns total, and had an awesome time through the summer. The work was satisfying, and gave me a lot of what I needed personally.

After I finished that I applied at frog and did an interview over Skype. They liked what I had to offer and had me come to their office in Seattle for an interview in person. It took about two hours, including a one hour, 5-on-1 portfolio review, but at noon the next day I got the email saying they wanted to give me a 6 month contract for another internship.

He's takin' our jerrrbs!

Edited by Mack - 09 October 2012 at 8:25pm
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

In June I finished my BA in Design and Media at SFU in Vancouver, and soon after got an offer at Crispin Porter+Bogusky to go be an Interaction Design at their headquarters in Boulder, Colorado. There were 28 interns total, and had an awesome time through the summer. The work was satisfying, and gave me a lot of what I needed personally.

After I finished that I applied at frog and did an interview over Skype. They liked what I had to offer and had me come to their office in Seattle for an interview in person. It took about two hours, including a one hour, 5-on-1 portfolio review, but at noon the next day I got the email saying they wanted to give me a 6 month contract for another internship.

He's takin' our jerrrbs!

DER DERKER JERRRRBS!
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:35pm
Junior year of college, workin' on mah economics major and business minor... kinda at a waypoint, because I really want to stay in school a bit longer, but I'm not sure what I want do (Masters in Econ? MBA? Where?), how to make it work financially, etc.

I'll more than likely be all done after 4 years, but this confusion is what you get when the real world starts pressing itself on you.  "No, I don't wanna go to the real world yet!  I needs ta learn!"
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 4:12pm
Just working away for Aviva insurance at the moment so genuinely nothing to report if I'm honest. Still trying to figure out what to do with myself (lol) 
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 9:37am
Still traveling. I spent some time in France, enjoying the Cafe de Flore in Paris, then swimming in the sea off Nice. I spent a little time in Italy. I enjoyed the Italian countryside, and the low cost of living, but my Italian sucks, so it was nice to get back to France. 

Now I am back in Tokyo, planning my business for the next year. I have been working as a financial consultant with bankers and investors here, but I hate office work. I started a small export company a couple of years ago, and business has grown steadily. If the dollar hadn't fallen to the equivalent value of toilet paper, I might have been able to quit my job. 

I've been working on a book for the last couple of years, it's a simple guide for regular people to understand the credit system in America, and to help them understand how to use responsibly, and to their advantage. Hopefully I'll have it done by the end of the year. 

Edited by TRAVELER - 12 October 2012 at 9:38am
For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 6:41pm
I got married. NBD.
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 12:22pm
I graduated college in 4 years with a BS in IT, moved to Boston, moved in with my GF, got a job as a systems engineer for an ecommerce company, got a dog, and all is well.

I also picked up photography as a hobby. Here is some aperture abuse;
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic