FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Update/ check in thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update/ check in thread
    Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:01pm
So it seems as if a lot of old regulars have made some serious life/career moves of late; Reb is on baby number 2, new jobs, PCF married (his success despite being goofy gives me hope) TolgaK in Alaska for a few months, etc. It might be easier to try to consolidate updates here if anyone is game, so I'll give it a shot. 

I got some managerial experience this year running an outdoor ed program, this has led me to realize that it's much more work, despite looking like less, and that you can trust employees to be as responsible with being irresponsible as you were when you did their job. It was all I could do to keep them from burning down the woods or from breaking/losing stuff/children. Also, you get t listen to everyone's gripes and they expect you to be able to magically do something about them. 

I moved to suburbia and while it's nice to be able to get to a store without burning a gallon or two of gas, I can't just walk out into the backyard to go fishing or target shooting. I don't even have a place to practice with a bow.

I also finally got an initial teacher's license after what seemed like a maze of administrative BS, and realized there are so many unemployed teachers with experience that the job market is crap, even if you look into paraprofessional or substitute positions. You're pretty boned if you don't have 3-5 years experience and/or connections.

For my big news, I'm in the process of getting a work visa for the ROK (South Korea) so I can teach there. The pay isn't going to be great, but it's work, the benefits are solid, I'm unattached, and it will look decent on a resume if/when I come back. So expect some photos/stories from that experience. 
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:04pm
Also, you can get a wife. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:04pm
No real updates here. Same job, same school, same car, etc.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:06pm
I haven't had anything new happen in about a year.  That could change here in a couple months, but nothing is anywhere near set in stone, so I'll hold off for now.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:07pm
gonna sell the AK before you go?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:13pm
The rash is clearing up. I'm starting to look for internships in the design slash advertising world. I love learning how to lie to people in class so I think it will be a nice field to get into.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:35pm
In June I finished my BA in Design and Media at SFU in Vancouver, and soon after got an offer at Crispin Porter+Bogusky to go be an Interaction Design at their headquarters in Boulder, Colorado. There were 28 interns total, and had an awesome time through the summer. The work was satisfying, and gave me a lot of what I needed personally.

After I finished that I applied at frog and did an interview over Skype. They liked what I had to offer and had me come to their office in Seattle for an interview in person. It took about two hours, including a one hour, 5-on-1 portfolio review, but at noon the next day I got the email saying they wanted to give me a 6 month contract for another internship.

So now I'm on the apartment hunt for a place in Seattle, and will be heading there near the end of the month until sometime in March. I'm really happy with how things are going so far, far better than I imagined when I was still in school. frog is incredibly high on my list of companies to work for, so I feel kind of like I skipped ahead at least a few years.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 3:01pm
I'm still struggling to find a job ten months out of school. Still have a couple of options I'm waiting to hear from, though.

Worst case scenario is that I'll go back to school unpaid in January to get my certification and bite the bullet and work in a smaller city than I originally planned on in May/June. LE is a tough field to break into when the economy is down, which is a shame because people will get these jobs, get 2-3 years and $150-200k invested in them, and then leave for greener pastures or entirely different fields of work.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 3:12pm
Detroit needs cops.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Detroit needs cops.

Needing and hiring are two desperate things. Detroit is only getting worse, and they're still cutting cops. I'll stick down here where cities can afford non-union cops, as enviable asthe benefits can be up north.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 3:20pm
USAF, my old room mate moved to Phoenix right after graduation and picked up a corrections job at the jail.  He says a lot of the departments out there are hiring.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

USAF, my old room mate moved to Phoenix right after graduation and picked up a corrections job at the jail.  He says a lot of the departments out there are hiring.  

Yeah, if I wanted to move farther away, I'd have been able to expand my options pretty well. I'd really like to stay in the eastern half of NC if at all possible, and I'm trying REALLY hard to find a position where Id go straight to a sworn PO1 spot after FTO, instead of spending a couple years in a jail.

There's only a few agencies in NC that run their own academies though, and about half of them are places I just do not want to live in.

I may have been a little too picky to begin with, but I'm pretty confident I could find what I want if I go back and get certified on my own.(and it's not like it'd cost me a lot. I'd be sponsored by my sheriff, so all I'd be out would be the cost of my books)

This may all be moot anyways, as I'm still in the process with my top two agencies.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

gonna sell the AK before you go?
 Sell the still unfinished project that mocks me? I actually wouldn't be opposed to that at this point, every time I want to pony up the cash to have someone who knows what they're doing build it, I need new brake calipers or groceries or something like that. As for whoever made the wife comment, no way I'm marrying a foreign national. You get taken for a ride until they get their green card and half of your money. I haver a boat, multiple firearms and a car I need to find homes for before pulling up stakes, but most of these are spoken for already or will be stored until I come back. Who knows, maybe I'll come back and buy a Daewoo-AR100.

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 6:32pm
Got a Job in August with one of the largest Hotel companies in the world as a Tier I IT tech. Its not horrible and the pay is good with more than full-time hours.

Moved out from my parents house for the first time, which is exciting because I get to live in the city and walk to work. I'm going to be saving up to pay off my student loan in cash by February.

After that, I'm going to be saving money in general before I decide what I want to do with my life because I can honestly say I don't want to be working in IT for the rest of my life.

I'm still torn with trying for the RCMP or going back to school to become a Paramedic. I have family in the RCMP and the pay/benefits are outstanding. But I also think I'd do well as a Paramedic because I know a lot about health in general because my mom is an RN and my sister is an LPN.

TLDR; Decisions, decisions, and, potential.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 6:42pm
I like these threads.

As my previous one stated- I start a new job on Nov. 5th- they're giving me some time to spend with the family when kid #2 is born.

On that note- It could happen any day now. Official due date is the 21st, but our oldest was a week early, and the wife is carrying large* and low. From the side, she can best be described as 'Comically pregnant'

As far as cars and living go- we're still in the house that we're renting from a family friend. He was extremely kind to us when I lost my job, to the point where he told me "Don't worry about the rent if you can't make it" - it really saved our bacon, and I don't think I'll ever be able to repay him in full- even if I DO get all the back cash to him sometime in the future.
The car is old, and I'm dumping money into it left and right. In the last few weeks- Oil change, front rotor, brakes (twice, its how I found the rotor was bad) Alternator, and front wheel bearing.  Its a solid car that's not let me down yet, but its old and has no idea what its in for with this new job- which is a 60+ mile commute one way. In the winter time, it should be awesome.

Overally, things aren't as good as they once were, but they're not as bad as they could be, so I'm not going to complain TOO much.

We're still working on getting my parents into a new house (Over one year after losing theirs to T.S. Irene)
The guy who was paid to dig the well has dragged his feet so long that the donations on the house fund have dried up- people who were behind the money pulled up stakes and kept the funds tied up in their investments, rather than give it to a donation project where nothing had been done for months. So we're scrambling to find money to pay off the house. Its causing HUGE discord in my family, because they're residing in my grandmother's house, and she's staying with my Aunt who is casually dropping hints to everyone that my parents are squatting there and doing nothing to move on out. She's dead to me, as is one of her sisters who is putting nonsense all over facebook regarding the matter.
Familial politics took a turn for the worst last month when my brother- tired of the bullcrap, revoked the invitation to his wedding for these two ladies. The reaction was spectacular and hilarious. The holidays will be an amazing feat, although I'm worried about my grandmother who, at 86 years old is in the middle of all of this.

.....TMI there. I'm sure. But beyond the confines of my own roof, I don't dare talk about any of it to anyone lest the situation be made worse by some offhand remark somewhere along the line.

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 7:04pm
My parents opened a small supermarket type store a bit shy of a year ago. I've been working there, helping to get the place up and running. We are up to 2 managers, 8 employees, and my step-mom does most of the owner duties. We are doing quite well and are hoping to open up store number 2 within 6-8 months.

Still in school, though pretty seriously considering changing my major to Business Administration. Luckily, I spent my last 3 semesters being a lazy bum, and getting terrible grades, so changing my major at this point isn't really going to hurt me any.

I bought a super clean 03 Mazda Tribute a few months back, in cash. I sold my Camaro - which was on it's last legs. I still managed to get a decent price out of her. (Teenagers and their sound systems...)

And I suck marginally less at the guitar than I did 10 months ago, when I took it back up again. All in all, I really can't complain. Things are going pretty well right now.

*edit* Reb, I sure hope that's 60 miles worth of freeway. I commute 40 miles one way each day, luckily only about 2 miles of that driving is done in town.

Edited by __sneaky__ - 08 October 2012 at 7:11pm
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 7:27pm
Ive been a Production Engineer for LG Chem since March 2010 but currently looking for a new job for a couple of reasons.  The girlfriend recently took a job in Utah so I'm looking to move out there shortly.  Also, at LG Chem we make the batteries for the Chevy Volt...if the Volt was selling.  Right now we are at a stand still and are required to take one unpaid week off a month.  Yay unemployment...  Even though work sucks life isn't too bad but I really want to move to Utah soon.

About a month ago I went on my first cruise and had a lot of fun.  5 day cruise in the Caribbean with stops in Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau.  And actually in the process of planning a trip to Hawaii in March with the family.  I'm really looking forward to that.

Finished up the softball season with a 3rd place finish in mens, and a 2nd place finish in coed.  We also got 1st in the fall league for mens.  If I could play slow pitch softball all year...I would.

I am also really looking forward to ski season.  I have only skied in Michigan but will have a ton of opportunities to ski in Utah this season.

My puppy now is 7 months old and weighs in at about 45 pounds.  Picture!

Edited by pntbl freak - 08 October 2012 at 7:28pm
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 7:29pm
Also Redneckk, you will have a blast in Korea.  I really enjoyed my time there.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 8:30pm
Bought a house, immediately started building stuff. Built a table, re-finished some chairs, poured a new wash-cap on the chimney, getting ready to re-paint, wife got a job at the school where I'm contracted for food-service, home warranty is paying off in spades after two A/C repairs and a faulty oven which needs repaired.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 9:56pm
I've not done this in a while either:

My girlfriend transferred her credits back to UCF and is working on a masters in hospitality and tourism studies. She's always been interested in it, and the communications program here didn't really interest her after a year. And she had a really awful experience teaching, as one student threatened her, and her favorite student committed suicide all in one semester. We're still doing well, even though she lives about two hours away. 

I finish my classes in the spring, I'll cram in the summer and take qualifying exams in the following fall; at that point I'll be a PhD candidate and can start applying for jobs. I'll officially be on the market, although considering my age, I'll probably head to a directional. Or, given my background teaching, I'll probably get some offers from smaller liberal arts schools. 

Here's hoping for some/any offers. 

I'm teaching a class next semester called "Social Media & Society" and I'm really thrilled about it. I've been given free control over building the curriculum from the ground up. I'm going to make the class centered on looking at all the problems social media has caused on society. 

Until then I still teach Introduction to Mass/Multimedia Writing, so my world is concerned with teaching people not to write like idiots. 

I'm taking the following classes right now: Social Media & Democratic Societies. Roots of Digital Culture. Methodological Social Network Analysis. 

In the spring I will take the following courses: Mass Communication & Health. Qualitative Study Design. Theory and Analysis of Video Game Design. 

I'm working on a very large-scale study on Reddit's /r/worldnews page with my girlfriend. We're submitting it to ICA, an international conference, in November. ICA is in London next, and I only get $400 for travel money, so that's going to suck. 

I'm sending off my thesis as a manuscript for my first publication in a scholarly journal. 

I got asked to sit on a panel at a national conference, which will be in Washington D.C., because of my thesis work. The panel will discuss technology laggards in journalism education.  

I joined to graduate/teaching/research assistant labor union, which is currently working taking the university to court to challenge the lack of inclusion of GA/TA/RA positions into sick leave policy. 

I applied for and won the position of vice chair for the Graduate Student Interest Group for the AEJMC, the national conference for a lot of communications stuff. I help propose panel and speaker ideas that fit our group's direction. 

I'm working on a hybrid experimental/social network analysis dissertation idea that would look at Facebook shared friendships as a habitat for rumor spread. I'm using a medical message (most likely something on HPV or another STI) so I can apply for NIH funding. It's still very much in the vapor-ware stage, but essentially it'll look at how susceptible you may be to unintentionally spreading a rumor on Facebook based on how many "friends in common" you have with a given message provider. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic