FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lol I so get FE now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 10:36pm
I'm conservative, but also very moderate. I like to look at both sides of the picture and use common sense when it comes to issues.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 12:54am

I'm of the opinion that the terms "liberal" and "conservative" are too misunderstood and not well defined enough to continue classifying entire political doctrines by them.

I'd challenge one person on this forum to define either liberal or conservative without Google and without bringing up religion, gay marriage, abortion, or gun control. I think that even the most politically minded among us would struggle to do so.

For me, I feel that I'm a conservative because I'm slow to change. I prefer an "as little as possible" approach to all things political. So if we're talking welfare, I'm very much pro welfare, but I'm pro welfare in as little of an amount as needed to keep society afloat. I'm pro abortion, but only to the extent that excessive childbirth doesn't overburden the lower class.

I think that rather than defining a single view on a single topic, liberal and conservative are terms that define a measurement on a single topic. A conservative wants to spend the least for the most output. A liberal wants to aggressively attack social issues with government interference and I find government to be the least efficient of entities in the free market.

I think that as long as we define each other in a way that defies logic and confuses we're doomed to continually chase political rainbows that don't exist. I think that these terms have become an excuse for ignorance. We don't need to engage in political discourse-we can simply throw a term down. Increase taxes? DAMNED LIBERAL. How about increasing taxes by the smallest amount possible to get the job done? Seems conservative enough to me. Reagan was a big spender, but he did it in the amounts necessary to do the job. You can't just constrict your political abilities in order to satisfy a term.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

I'm conservative, but also very moderate. I like to look at both sides of the picture and use common sense when it comes to issues.

Congratulations- you've come to the realization that unwavering devotion to one side or the other all the times is moronic.

Now if we could kick that into the rest of the country, we'd be in business.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic