FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

School text books-infused agenda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 12:36am
I really doubt it's a breech of employee contract to make an off the cuff remark about marijuana.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 5:35am
To condone the use of an illegal drug, sexual advances, pedophilia. all completely legit stuff.

Do your own experiment. At your next company meeting stand up in front of the entire team and let everyone know how great smoking dope is.Be sure that the ceo is there.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 08 October 2012 at 5:52am
Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

To condone the use of an illegal drug, sexual advances, pedophilia. all completely legit stuff.

Do your own experiment. At your next company meeting stand up in front of the entire team and let everyone know how great illegal drugs are.Be sure that the ceo is there and be sure to encourage others to indulge.

Keep us posted k

Sent from a phone booth
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 5:56am
You've seen the contract?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 6:01am
I don't need to. I could easily ensure that these instances would be real bad by going to the president of the school and my friends brother that owns about twelve television stations.
Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 6:10am
If this is such an extreme injustice that is ruining society, then why don't you?  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 6:21am
This phone is so uncooperative. It's never too late.

I have a couple of different ways I could deal with this.I'll keep you posted on the two instructors that hit on my wife.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 08 October 2012 at 6:22am
Sent from a phone booth
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 8:43am
I guess I don't understand the point you're trying to make anymore. You've moved on from liberalism to moral degradation to professors hitting on your wife.

It sounds like you had a bad school experience and you're somehow reflecting that on the system in general. Someone hitting on your wife =/= the moral degradation of society. I've never had a professor who endorsed pedophilia, never had one who made sexual comments, etc, and I've had roughly 20 or 25 professors thus far.

And seriously, my dad's the only person I know who still refers to marijuana as dope.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 8:56am
There's a whole lot of "get off my lawn" in this thread.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 11:45am
Strat.I'm pretty much wrapped up with what I have to say. The things that you a are pointing to are in my mind liberal in concept and a morals issue.
Sent from a phone booth
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 1:04pm
It's pretty obvious from your sentence construction that you've never paid much attention in school anyway.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:23pm

Do your own experiment. At your next company meeting stand up in front of the entire team and let everyone know how great smoking dope is.Be sure that the ceo is there.

In my job they would probably say "Yes, we all know, now shut up and sit down." As long as you don't do it at work/ don't bring it into the work place, they don't care.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 3:10pm
My instructor said on the first day of class. "If you choose this profession, you will become a drunk or addict. Pick which one now"

Everyone laughed, but the words had a lot of merit.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 5:29pm

there are actually some benefits to heroin.

Pain killer. As an opiate it actually works really well to reduce pain. It has a few drawbacks / side effects though.

Diamorphine. Great stuff.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 7:35pm

What I'm really pointing at is moral degradation. I think my strongest point is what is most likely a breech in employee contract in some of my points. What is this act in itself teaching students in a business communication class? Replace marijuana with heroin. I'm sure that there is information out there stating that there are actually some benefits to heroin. Who would I be to say what drugs are acceptable in a situation where they are used illegally?
illegal =/= immoral.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

What I'm really pointing at is moral degradation. I think my strongest point is what is most likely a breech in employee contract in some of my points. What is this act in itself teaching students in a business communication class? Replace marijuana with heroin. I'm sure that there is information out there stating that there are actually some benefits to heroin. Who would I be to say what drugs are acceptable in a situation where they are used illegally?
illegal =/= immoral.
As simple as it sounds, that's the crux of it. Our higher education system is built to encourage critical thinking and evaluation of our society, and by doing this it's providing an invaluable service to having a functioning republic. There are some arguments to be made that our higher education system should be streamlined to focus on marketable skills rather than pontificating on the role of government in regulating people's life choices, commerce, psychological and developmental issues associate with drug use, plant biology, the effect of drug laws on society, the economic costs of imprisonment v. revenue lost v. cost of treatment, use of scientific data in policy-making, etc. etc. etc. The pot issue covers all of those and more. If you're not getting at least a basic familiarization of modern social issues in your college career, no matter your major, you're not getting your money's worth.   

If you think your professors are being out of line or unprofessional, college should be a safe place where you can address those concerns. I'd first talk to the professor in question, privately, you now, like adults in a professional setting would ideally handle this. There are professional ways to handle these issues in a class, if they aren't doing this, that's an issue. I hate to break it to you, but if I were currently teaching social studies in a public school in my state, it would be irresponsible of me not to discuss the ballot questions coming up in this election season, one of which includes medicinal marijuana, and another physician-assisted suicide. While I'd need to focus more on being a moderator and critiquing arguments students made in class based on validity and for the most part, keep my opinions to myself, if I were teaching at a college I would expect that with the considerable investment of time and money invested, not to mention peer vetting,  required to get to that point in my career would allow me to hold and defend an opinion in a workplace that encourages people to develop, explore and defend opinions.

Maybe you prefer a society that through social and professional norms discourages people from expressing their political opinions in setting other than ranting anonymously on the internet or grumbling at the TV when only their family is present, but rational,  enlightened, and informed adults should be able to have these discussions if they so choose regardless of setting. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:04pm
The other problem here is that morality is completely relative. You can't just pander to the most conservative denominator to avoid offending everybody.

And school is full of abstract concepts that are taught from the viewpoint of the original authors. Try taking an unbiased, unoffensive method to teaching Nietzsche or Marx...these were very passionate philosophers whose thoughts must be conveyed in the style of their writings to properly walk away with an education.

But that's the trouble...we only find issues controversial if we ourselves disagree with them. I wonder if this thread would still have existed had LB's teachers been raging conservatives blasting secularism and humanistic teachings while enforcing monotheistic JudeoChristian values?
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I wonder if this thread would still have existed had LB's teachers been raging conservatives blasting secularism and humanistic teachings while enforcing monotheistic JudeoChristian values?

Which is ironic if you look at the historical development of academia. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:41pm
The pure definition of the term liberalism has been hijacked by the political arena. Conservatives do liberal things every day. Some are harmless things and others are destructive. I'm really addressing issues that I disapprove of and that can manifest in any group.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 08 October 2012 at 10:43pm
Sent from a phone booth
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:44pm

The pure definition of the term liberalism has been hijacked by the political arena. Conservatives do liberal things every day. Some are harmless things and others are destructive. I'm really addressing issues that I disprove of and can manifest in any group.

So basically, you would like for society to get off of your lawn?
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic