FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poor reporting . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor reporting . . .
    Posted: 01 October 2012 at 11:31am
. . . or did I just misunderstand?

This was what I found on-line.

Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

The Worst Way a Democrat Could Whiff a 47% Question

Associated Press

Elspeth Reeve 8,185 Views Sep 20, 2012

You would expect Republican politicians to struggle with answering questions about Mitt Romney's "47 percent," conflicted between party loyalty and their own electoral welfare. But for Democrats, the answer should be easy. Not so for Tim Kaine, the former governor of Virginia who's running for Senate against George Allen. In a debate between Kaine and Allen Thursday, NBC News’ David Gregory asked Kaine, "Do you believe that everyone in Virginia should pay something in federal income tax?" As Slate's Dave Weigel explains, Kaine struggled to answer.

Kaine: Well, everyone pays taxes! I mean, the statistics that have come out..

Gregory: I'm asking about federal income taxes.

Kaine: I would be open to a proposal that would have some minimum tax level for everyone. But I do insist, many of the 47 percent that Gov. Romney was going after pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes than he does.

Oops. Now Kaine's in favor of raising taxes on poor people. It's a fairly lonely position too -- as Weigel explains, only Michele Bachmann would occasionally float the idea of poor people paying a few symbolic bucks to keep some skin in the game.

I didn't take this as Kaine saying the poor need to pay more taxes; I took it as him insisting that Romney pays more taxes than the poor.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic