Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chefs? Trying a new ingredient.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smithkendall View Drop Down
Spammie!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chefs? Trying a new ingredient.
    Posted: 03 November 2012 at 3:37am
To be honest, tofu has been on my mind for years, because I have never made tofu that I'm truly happy with.  One of my favorite sandwiches of all time is from The Tomato Head in Knoxville.  It is called The Kepner Melt- tofu, pineapple, walnut, pesto, other stuff... yummy!  So, I thought I could make it at home.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 2:37am
Yeah I've got jars of peeled, diced, crushed and probably some others. I prefer cooking roasts with fresh stuff though. I use the other junk for making pasta sauces or the like.

Tallen, thanks. The bits roasted with the lamb were sublime. The ones roasted in the veggies were so so. Definitely more bitter like you said. I like it and think it will be used more often in my kitchen. It is expensive though. About 3x the price of a head of garlic. I'll have to do some maths soon to see if it is more cost effective.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 5:00pm
I buy peeled garlic. When I'm feeling extra lazy I buy minced garlic in a jar which works wonderfully for me.
Que pasa?

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 2:53pm
Do they not sell peeled garlic in a jar in RSA? 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 2:09pm
It's Chinese and is slightly more bitter than regular garlic, but should work just fine for what you use it for.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 1:54pm
If you put a garlic clove under the flat of a decent sized blade and slap down on it with the palm of your hand, it's a breeze to peel.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 27 September 2012 at 1:55pm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 12:22pm
Making roast lamb for supper. Wanted to use garlic, but didn't have the patience to peel each bulb. Found something in the shop called "super garlic".

Never seen it before, it looks like a small, dense onion. Smells like garlic. It peels very easily and seems like the right thing. Anyone used this before? Tried Googling it and all I got was health supplements.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic