FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First major project:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First major project:
    Posted: 08 September 2012 at 4:04pm
Mom and Pop came up last night to help us unpack and take care of some projects. My dad and I took down a motorized 1970's aerial which was strapped to the chimney. Then we chipped off the old wash cap (half of it came away just by hand) and then built a form and mixed up 100# of sand-mix to pour a new one. Got it all graded, covered it with a concrete blanked, and are letting it set and cure overnight. Tomorrow we'll remove the form and put the chimney caps on to prevent birds, squirrels, etc. from getting down the flues to the boiler and the fireplace. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the finished product.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2012 at 4:12pm
From the inspector's report:

New finished product:

Cracks were taken care of with 3M fireproof caulking for flues and fireplaces. We then poured a 2" wash cap made of sand-mix and troweled it to a 20* angle on all four sides. Finally, we installed two rain caps. Now all I need to do is re-touch the flashing sealant with some new stuff and it should be good until the roof needs replaced.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2012 at 4:29pm
Niftola!
Sent from a phone booth
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2012 at 4:38pm
In other news, good GOD do I know a riding mower!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic