FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with picking out a cheap computer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 7:33am
Best buy has several units for around three hundred. Get a chill pad if cooling is an issue.
Sent from a phone booth
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 9:29am
Wish I could contribute more than, "Stay away from Apple".  I haven't purchased a desktop system since '97.  Ever since, I've built my own.  Good luck finding a good deal.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 8:17pm
Don't stay away from Apple because of another persons personal preferences. Everyone has different wants and needs, figure out your own.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I don't know why people have such an un-founded hatred of Dell. I've had two dell machines in the past decade. One lasted me 8 years without any problems (and maintained the ability to play just about any game or work with any piece of software I threw at it) and the other I've had for 2 years and haven't had a single problem with it.

I've seen more ancient dells running than any other make.
We're talking some almost a decade old running on 256mb and they're still ticking.

My wife and I both run Dell laptops and have no problem with them.

Dells are no different than any other machine. Take care of them, they'll last as long as you need them to.

Having grown up on Dell, here's my take.

Dell's are fantastic specialty machines. If you need a dozen or so PC's to start up a business you can't go wrong. They routinely offer special financing, discounts, etc ec.

But for an everyday rig there are better, cheaper options out there. Alot of the lesser known brands have come a long way in the sub-$400 laptop market and really eliminated the need for finance-powered giants like Dell. Also, I don't know if it's still this way or not, but every Dell I've owned was absolutely sick with bloatware. I think the bloatware was really one of the nails in the coffin for Dell's repuation.

As far as Apple, I don't know anyone who owns one that complains about it. They're awesome computers but they're too expensive for anyone looking to get the most hardware for the cheapest price.

Going to back to my own personal experience with computers, the two best I've owned were my HP and my Asus. My mom's Macbook Pro is beginning to grow on me though, and so is the muscle fatigue from toting around this heavy  Asus. I think that's going to be my next avenue.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2012 at 10:30am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Don't stay away from Apple because of another persons personal preferences. Everyone has different wants and needs, figure out your own.

He said he needed a cheap computer.  He won't find that in an Apple.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 2:09pm
Nevermind.  For the second time in 2 days, my Lenovo laptop has overheated and shut off due to KSP.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic