FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with picking out a cheap computer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with picking out a cheap computer
    Posted: 05 September 2012 at 9:05pm
So, I need some quick advice from the group here. My mom is looking for a cheap computer that we can set up for my little sister, and I know little to nothing about what brands to look for/avoid. I'll probably go to Walmart if possible, but BestBuy or the Internet are an option too.

Basically, all my sister needs to be able to do on it is play Minecraft, watch YouTube videos, flash games, etc. obviously, Microsoft office/works would be needed too.

Beyond that, we just want the cheapest possible one without buying a knockoff that is liable to melt down in a week.

Any suggestions? Thaks in advance forthe advice, btw
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 9:10pm
My experience with Minecraft is that it's more demanding than people give it credit for

There's a pretty good variety of low priced lappies out there. I love my Asus, even though it's a higher end laptop I've heard their quality is good across the board.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 9:20pm
Walmart sells referbs online now, some for less than $100.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 9:20pm
Lenovos have been making a heck of a comeback lately, one of the schools that I used to work with made a big purchase of them because they were 'cheaper' - but they're really good little machines. Acers are also at the bottom end of the food chain, but will work as long as they're kept up properly. 

Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 9:28pm
Sunday paper ads
Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Lenovos have been making a heck of a comeback lately, one of the schools that I used to work with made a big purchase of them because they were 'cheaper' - but they're really good little machines. Acers are also at the bottom end of the food chain, but will work as long as they're kept up properly. 

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Walmart sells referbs online now, some for less than $100.

I'll keep both of these in mind, thanks guys.

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

My experience with Minecraft is that it's more demanding than people give it credit for

There's a pretty good variety of low priced lappies out there. I love my Asus, even though it's a higher end laptop I've heard their quality is good across the board.

Is anyone still playing minecraft? I've got a load of free time right now, and I'd love to plink around on a shared server again.

Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

Sunday paper ads

If I was in a different area/bigger city I'd look into that, but I don't want a computer from the paper in this town.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 10:06pm
Minecraft draws so much energy. My macbook pro begins to overheat playing that even on a flat hard surface. I have to keep a fan on the computer to make sure I don't lag.

I have no advice on cheap computers. Newegg?

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 10:08pm
Stay away from Acer and Gateway. And probably Dell.

Anything else should be pretty ship-shape!

As for sites, check TigerDirect or Newegg.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 05 September 2012 at 10:09pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Minecraft draws so much energy. My macbook pro begins to overheat playing that even on a flat hard surface. I have to keep a fan on the computer to make sure I don't lag.

I have no advice on cheap computers. Newegg?

Well, we're definitely thinking desktop. Sister is only 10, I think my mom wants to keep the computer somewhere easily monitored.

You bring up a good question though. Should any standard desktop be able to run these types of programs? I don't even know what to look for HD/RAM/ghz/cooling/etc wise.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 05 September 2012 at 10:36pm
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:05am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 5:57am
I don't know why people have such an un-founded hatred of Dell. I've had two dell machines in the past decade. One lasted me 8 years without any problems (and maintained the ability to play just about any game or work with any piece of software I threw at it) and the other I've had for 2 years and haven't had a single problem with it.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 7:31am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I don't know why people have such an un-founded hatred of Dell. I've had two dell machines in the past decade. One lasted me 8 years without any problems (and maintained the ability to play just about any game or work with any piece of software I threw at it) and the other I've had for 2 years and haven't had a single problem with it.

I've seen more ancient dells running than any other make.
We're talking some almost a decade old running on 256mb and they're still ticking.

My wife and I both run Dell laptops and have no problem with them.

Dells are no different than any other machine. Take care of them, they'll last as long as you need them to.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 7:59am
Yeah, I like my old Dell vostro 1700, had it for YEARS, and never had a problem. In fact, my super old Sony SR100 is still working fine... And it is 13 years old which is ancient in computer time. I've only had to replace the hard drive in that one. It was one of the first computers that came with a rewriteable dvd ram drive. And I got it for $699. (a few weeks later they raised the price to $999)

Around here we have microcenter, and their refurbished are some of the cheapest deals I've found. Plus they ship to where ever you are. 

I get all my cheap pc laptops there. If you don't mind a refurbished, the prices are typically way lower than wal-mart, or best buy or Sams... You can get way more ram/hd/speed with a refurbished than buying new, and they look brand new. 
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 8:21am
Microcenter makes my wallet hurt. Not because it's expensive (because it's not!) but rather because every time I go in there for one thing, I walk out with 20. Seriously, you go in for a thumb-drive and you walk out with a new power supply, vid card, MoBo, etc. the deals are just too damned good!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 8:31am
My fifteen year old compaq just bailed
Sent from a phone booth
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 8:59am
I think the main thing about dells is that you see them all over campuses and they are so old that they are just outdated and extremely slow compared to the current market.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 12:14pm
My experience with Dell is the older ones are good quality, but the quality has declined in recent years.  I am on my 2nd Lenovo and love them.  Or, you could wait for a desktop to come up on Woot.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:14pm
So, in order to fully undo the work I had done up to this point, my mother has decided that a laptop would be better.

Should I look for the general asked things? What about making sure the cooling will be enough?
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:18pm
any modern laptop should have sufficient cooling.  Get a lenovo.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 11:58pm
Also, rather than forum hearsay, why not look up actual quality ratings and return rates of manufacturers?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic