Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Wire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 2:42pm
Got done with Hell of Wheels.

Currently watching Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, and The Walking Dead.

Doing more reading lately.
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 3:45pm
I haven't seen the last 3-4 episodes of Boardwalk. It was getting kind of dry and boring to be honest. I am watching Walking Dead, can't wait for Justified to come back on. For those that have never seen Justified it too is not your typical "cop" show. It's about a US Marshall that has to move back to Kentucky where he's from. Great show.

Edit: BTW, The Walking Dead has been EXCELLENT so far! I think it's by far my favorite season, I hope the rest of the episodes are as good or better than the first few!

Edited by Apu - 01 November 2012 at 3:46pm
I need a new Sig...
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Apu Apu wrote:

WHALE, Are you into any other HBO shows? Surely I would imagine you watch the Newsroom? Ever watched Game of Thrones? Game of Thrones is probably my favorite show of all time right now, but i'm biased because A Song of Ice and Fire is my favorite fiction series of all time. EXCELLENT show man!

I've never gotten into Newsroom I've also never given it a shot. I don't really like Aaron Sorkin, and I really just get bored with the tired jerking about journalism. Some of my friends like it, I just haven't tried. 

I did, however, start watching Game of Thrones about a month ago, and I'm on the very last episode of season 2 now. It's really compelling stuff. I didn't think I'd find myself really enjoying it much, as that kind of setting and story isn't my thing (I've still never watched or read any Lord of the Rings), but I'll be damned if it's not really, really good. Granted, this is me just having watched the TV show I know nothing of the books, but two of my close friends are really into them, and say I need to read them. When I get a chance, I will, whenever that may be.

I think it comes down to Game of Thrones being, at its peak, a political drama. It's not -really- a fantasy story. It's a story of politics and really in-depth characters that just happens to be set in a land with castles and such. And that is something I really like it's what makes good TV different from just OK TV. The Wire was about deep characters without pure good and evil. Game of Thrones is really the same thing. 

Even someone like Joffrey you're supposed to hate Joffrey, but then you sort of go into the fact that he's a young teen who has been put into the most powerful position in the world, he's discovers he's the product of incest, he's been controlled and manipulated by his family since he was a child, and he was "raised" by a distant and drunken "father." No wonder he acts the way he does as king, how was he ever supposed to know to act any different? 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:12pm
I watched the pilot of The Wire. Not bad, just depresses me we are fighting this war.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

(I've still never watched or read any Lord of the Rings),

Whaaaaaaaaat??
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 5:50pm

I've still never watched or read any Lord of the Rings

I... You... You what?
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 7:59pm
Fantasy has never been my thing. I grew up on murder mysteries and horror, and my reading for fun has sort of stayed in those areas. 

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 12:59am

Fantasy has never been my thing. I grew up on murder mysteries and horror, and my reading for fun has sort of stayed in those areas. 

LOTR isn't fantasy, its awesome. Take it from me, who hasn't seen any Star Trek or the old Star Wars movies.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 12:08pm

Fantasy's not my thing either. LOTR was just nonetheless brilliant enough to really grab me.

I'm on to the last episode of Season2  of the wire- gonna fire that up shortly, I think. Pretty sure Sobotka's about to get smoked by the Greeks...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

I'm on to the last episode of Season2  of the wire- gonna fire that up shortly, I think. Pretty sure Sobotka's about to get smoked by the Greeks...

A lot of people view season 2 as the least interesting of all of the seasons, but I think it's a really important part of the story one, it sets up the idea that the story of The Wire is really more about the city of Baltimore than it is any specific gang or police. Two, it sets up the idea that it's not just young black drug dealers who are behind the crime and corruption. It's got a chain of command that works all the way up to an international drug smuggling. 

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 7:33pm
I think I'll wear my Carcetti for mayor shirt this Tuesday.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

I think I'll wear my Carcetti for mayor shirt this Tuesday.

He shows up in Game of Thrones. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Whale stopped watching when they killed off his beard-twin. 

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 6:55pm
I take it back, that medieval beard is much more domesticated, but he's the king. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic