FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Wire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Wire
    Posted: 28 August 2012 at 12:31am
So I feel the need to start a thread about this, as I mentioned it in another thread. 

In my normal progression of things, I'm a solid five years behind everyone else when it comes to finding out how awesome things are. Having been in a bit of a rut with finding good things on television, and with my girlfriend now transferred to another school thus bumming me out, I decided that it was finally time for me to watch The Wire. People had talked about how good it is for a long time, but I sort of shrugged it off. It just seemed like another crime drama. 

I was wrong. 

It's the best television show ever made, up until this point. 

Unless something changes drastically in season 5, I will stand firm behind that opinion. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 12:37am
I read David Simon's Homicide, which was great, and then tried to watch the Wire and never made it past episode two, the dialogue is just caricaturist. On the other hand, every single person ever says it's the greatest tv show ever, so maybe I'm just an obstinate jerk.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 12:45am
If it's any consolation, it gets much better in the latter portion of the first season and into the second season, and hits full stride in the third. 

The beginning was a little cliche at moments, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it caracaturist. But I'm just me. 

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 2:53am
I've never watched it but it would have to be quite amazing to leave the impression The Sopranos left with me.

On a related note, watching The Sopranos as entire library rather than weekly taught me to wait and pick up seasons of shows rather than watching them real time. So much more engrossing if you can do it on your own time.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 5:08am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I've never watched it but it would have to be quite amazing to leave the impression The Sopranos left with me.

On a related note, watching The Sopranos as entire library rather than weekly taught me to wait and pick up seasons of shows rather than watching them real time. So much more engrossing if you can do it on your own time.
That's why I love netflix streaming.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 11:23am
Wire>sopranos.

Such a great show. The only wicked out there part is "Hamsterdam". That's beyond outrageous.
Que pasa?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 12:44pm
Watched the first season. enjoyed it. After that, I wound up moving to Bodymore Murdaland (though not because of the show) and realized that the only "fantasy" of the whole thing is that the series is less violent and generally presents a better picture of Baltimore than reality. Out of the 365 days I lived there, there was at least 1 murder on 364 of them.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 2:37pm
I'd say The Wire is my favorite series as well. While it is still far fetched, I'd say it's the most realistic Crime Drama that I've watched.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 4:48pm
OMAR COMIN'!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 12:01am
Bump for brihard. 

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 6:02pm
Last night at like 3 or 4 in the morning while really drunk my friend decided it was a good time to watch The Wire. Not sure how he thought that was a good idea for attention spans like that.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 10:31am
I have yet to see the Wire. Breaking Bad is the only show I'm really watching at the moment.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

I have yet to see the Wire. Breaking Bad is the only show I'm really watching at the moment.

Which is also one of the best written shows on television of course.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 12:10am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Bump for brihard. 

I friggin. Love. This show.

Into the latter half of Season 2 now. It continues to deliver.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 8:13am
Never heard of it.  I must live a sheltered life.  <sigh>
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 12:14pm
Season 2 seemed the slowest of all the seasons. Still the best series ever though.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 5:14pm
Since the forum does seem to contain a good many people with actual taste, I'll give it a try. For new shows, I'm getting really into Last Resort, it's decent for network TV.
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 2:01pm
WHALE, Are you into any other HBO shows? Surely I would imagine you watch the Newsroom? Ever watched Game of Thrones? Game of Thrones is probably my favorite show of all time right now, but i'm biased because A Song of Ice and Fire is my favorite fiction series of all time. EXCELLENT show man!
I need a new Sig...
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 2:17pm
Whale stopped watching when they killed off his beard-twin. 

Edited by rednekk98 - 01 November 2012 at 2:18pm
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 2:24pm
Hahahahah. AWESOME! King Whale Baratheon, First of his name.
I need a new Sig...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic