Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hey Everyone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Everyone
    Posted: 24 August 2012 at 8:36am
Im not exactly new I was a member here many years ago as an avid player.
Ive been out of the game for sometime but I am back.
I am in the process of opening a new field in upstate NY.

edward d'andrea
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 11:01am
Welcome back! Where in the upstate area are you building your field?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 12:41pm
hudson valley
sullivan ulster county
are you local cause we may host a free intro day to meet and greet this fall

edward d'andrea
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:25pm
I used to be sort-of local. I was a tech for a few years at The Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie and helped build the field they had/have with the Overlook Driving Range. That was waaaaay back in '99-'01 though.
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:20pm
Welcome back! I've recently returned myself and there's quite a bit to offer still!
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2012 at 11:32am
Well any time you guys would like to play or just receive the tour feel free to look me up.
I have 30 acres at my disposal and so far I have 2 woods fields and 2 speed ball fields this weekend. I have a few hired hands to help me make the fields but we are always looking for ideas, and I am very interested in how to organize and run larger games.
Many places run these larger than life battle reinactments once a year and I have never had the fortune to attend one but I would really like to attend one and eventual host something like that.
We also have campsites and some other activities to offer full weekend retreats. As of 2013 we will offer camping, farming education, wood carving, rock climbing, rafting, and paintball.

edward d'andrea
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2012 at 12:33pm
Nice! Sounds like a great operation you've got going there!

My personal suggestion is that with woodsball fields, don't worry about symmetry. Pev's paintball down here around DC used to run a field in cooperation with AG Paintball games. AG had great woods fields that weren't "mirrored" like speedball fields are. Each side wound up having something different on each field that played to an advantage if you could recognize it. Pev's eventually broke off the partnership and built their own field where everything is equal on both sides. Plain and simple, it sucks. Go out there, and let the terrain dictate where you put the bunkers and buildings. It's a lot more fun to play on that kind of field than on a perfectly planned one.
NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2012 at 8:02pm
yea we kind of are doing that..
I lined up first speedball field today and ordered 100 bails of hay to make bunkers with.
Roped off two woodsball fields gonna have people clear em then work on bunkers in the woods... I have an old metal silo im gonna cut in half to place two large Cylinders somewhere, and I want to build minor village out of shacks somewhere like plywood and 2x4s.. not sure how but I am very interested in setting up scenarios and inviting 100 - 200 players at a time.
I have total of 6 fields that are needs some work but will be cleared and range from 30x50 to 40x100 and i have 20 acres or so of just woods mostly flat and some a little swampy

edward d'andrea
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 8:46am
I like to hear this.

I'm in Greene County. All of the local fields are either too small to be interesting, too expensive to spend time on, or have shut down. About the only decent field anymore is Hornet's nest which is...I think in Colombia County.

The plus is that I travel through Ulster Co. on a regular basis to visit family in Orange county so once you're up and running I think I'd like to stop in.
Are you planning on having full service facilities? selling paint and filling tanks? or a walk-on style place where you bring your gear and supplies?

If you open up and are a decent field, you'll do very well with a field, in this area. There's not a lot happening right now in terms of paintball facilities, and rec games have even become few and far between for me to make. I wish you the best of luck, and keep us posted, I'd like to drop in at some point.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 26 August 2012 at 8:48am

NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 4:53pm
Well the campground is 80% up and running we have a group of 20 camping this weekend coming up, I might roll out free paintball for them to try it out if they each donate 1 hour of brush clearing in the woodsfield.

We will be a full service paintball facility and allow walkons to spend less if they provide gear if not we will be renting Tippman 98s with some A5 or usarmy upgrade options.

I ordered bunkers today.

edward d'andrea
NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 4:54pm
I think we may only offer compressed air and not the co2

edward d'andrea
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by NYer NYer wrote:

Well the campground is 80% up and running we have a group of 20 camping this weekend coming up, I might roll out free paintball for them to try it out if they each donate 1 hour of brush clearing in the woodsfield.

We will be a full service paintball facility and allow walkons to spend less if they provide gear if not we will be renting Tippman 98s with some A5 or usarmy upgrade options.

I ordered bunkers today.

Look into the FT12 line for rental markers. That's what they were originally designed for. Probably cheaper to obtain, and a heck of a lot easier to maintain.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2012 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by NYer NYer wrote:

I ordered bunkers today.

Look into the FT12 line for rental markers. That's what they were originally designed for. Probably cheaper to obtain, and a heck of a lot easier to maintain.

Sooooo very true. If you have the cash to spend on new equipment, go the route of the FT-12. Super easy to strip, clean, and repair. No tools required.

Now, if you find yourself strapped for cash on building a rental fleet, you can always run a promotion like "half-priced entry fee for 1 year when you trade in a working '98 or pro-lite." When we started up the field over in Po-town, we gave people 150% of the normal trade-in price on rental-grade markers for about a month or two just to build up our fleet of '98's to rent out.
NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2012 at 10:17am
The flip tops are a little new still and have some kinks I feel should still be worked out. We may still use them down the road not sure.
I do have a rep at tippmann I am using and FT will be part of our discussion

edward d'andrea
NYer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 1:15pm
So I have been planning which brands we will carry and what paint to use, can anyone suggest paintball brands with regard to quality and then also suggest one regarding price?

Also I want to start marketing online are there any ridiculous huge forums for paintball players where i can reach a lot of players to let them know we exist?

edward d'andrea
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 9:55am
I used to like PMI/RPS back in the day, but it seems like they cheapened up several years ago to get their paint on the shelves at Wal-Mart and Dick's. That said, my current favorite paint brand is Pro Caps who seem to have picked up the quality where RPS/PMI dropped off. Most companies used to sell "White Box" paint, meaning it was a mish-mash of end-runs, test-runs, and paint that was slightly out of round or had too thin a fill for their specifications. We used it for practice as it was dirt-cheap, and also used it as our field paint for rental markers to maximize profit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic