Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Todd Akin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Huffpo...

Yeah, love how they spin what he said. They shouldn't have put the video on it, if they were going to change what he said in the story...

So if you were the child of a rape, should you be killed, or were you not actually conceived in that act of rape? The child didn't have anything to do with it, why does the child get destroyed?...

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

As I have said before, one of my high school friends was the product of a rape, (he even looked like his moms attacker). 

Another example of huffpo changing the storyline to bash Republicans, wow, I'm shocked. SHOCKED I tell you!

Because it's NOT a child, it's some cells. Your religious beliefs should not change my legal rights to access safe solutions to life-altering problems. I can't imagine the poo-fit you would throw if ANY other religion came in and tried to pass a law about what you can or cant do with your body, why is it okay for yours to do the same?

What if it isn't based on religious beliefs?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 9:23pm

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I think that, above all other reasoning, it's important to apply all of your ideas universally. If you can't, I feel that a logic system is flawed and therefore a poor foundation for the building blocks of society. With that in mind I feel that America's current ideological war consists of two sides that exercise very poor logic and I think that this instability of ideas had translated to economic and sociological instability.
While the "there is no difference between the two parties" view is wrong in very real policy terms, it certainly isn't without merit. The key point being that both major american parties depend on the same framing and ground for their platforms, agreeing on all major political assumptions w/r/t american exceptionalism/capitalism/representative vs. direct deomcracy etc. The major party platforms do not need to be logically coherent, at least not in the terms that you are thinking about. Again the deciding factor is the framing and ground; the assumption that policies are in place because of the direct effect on governance would lead you to believe their policies are often contradictory and inconsistent, however this is not the intention of most policy. The use of rhetoric and policy are much more coherent when viewed as serving a consistent goal of retaining power and serving corporate (or other funding sources') interests.

From a moral perspective I can only think of a few reasons you'd be morally justified in having an abortion but arguing individual moral outlooks is tiring.
I'd be interested to know just what those are so I can tell which of my friends and family are murderers.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

While the "there is no difference between the two parties" view is wrong in very real policy terms, it certainly isn't without merit. The key point being that both major american parties depend on the same framing and ground for their platforms, agreeing on all major political assumptions w/r/t american exceptionalism/capitalism/representative vs. direct deomcracy etc. The major party platforms do not need to be logically coherent, at least not in the terms that you are thinking about. Again the deciding factor is the framing and ground; the assumption that policies are in place because of the direct effect on governance would lead you to believe their policies are often contradictory and inconsistent, however this is not the intention of most policy. The use of rhetoric and policy are much more coherent when viewed as serving a consistent goal of retaining power and serving corporate (or other funding sources') interests.

You're right, and this is where I begin dropping off substantially from the mainstream political viewpoints (I'm a political hipster Wink.) I tend to view the federal government as something that works against the people as much as it works for them. Not necessarly in an evil or menacing way, but that I believe when voting it's best to at least look at the federal government as a dangerous necessity rather than a political mouthpiece.

So I tend to think that preservation of rights on a state and local level are the more important bottom line in the scheme of things than who's in power in the federal government. The trouble is that Americans (including myself) have really lost track of local politics in favor of national politics. We look to the federal government for all the answers to all the questions and forget that the state and local governments hold a very important place in the arrangement of power in the U.S.

I tend to think that the current power struggle / Sunday night football approach to in politics is a direct result of people placing their focus entirely on the presidential race. The federal government only holds the answer to certain issues, and the more we look to them to solve issues that they weren't meant to the more of a hole we dig.

Now I want to draw a distinction here and kind of separate myself from the inevitable libertarian / small government approach to politics. I feel that the term "small government" is silly because the federal government has never been and will never be small. I think that it's important to work towards an achieveable goal and I think that the focus should certainly be on allowing the states to have more say in issues that effect them directly.

Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

From a moral perspective I can only think of a few reasons you'd be morally justified in having an abortion but arguing individual moral outlooks is tiring.
I'd be interested to know just what those are so I can tell which of my friends and family are murderers.

Your response exemplifies why I refuse to talk about my own personal morality with other people. If I tell people that I feel like abortion is socially irresponsible with the exception of rape, incest, or threat to the mother's life I get similar responses. My own response to your statement is this-my personal beliefs don't dictate what your friends and family members do at all, so what does it matter what I feel? That's why arguing morality is the intellectual equivalent to banging your head on a brick wall just to hear the cracking noise. My morality doesn't affect anyone because I separate morality from law.

Legally?  Your kid your conscience. Again, in the grand scheme of things abortions have alot of potential in stopping the poverty cycle. I'm fine with abortion being legal. Some chick wants to have five abortions? Go for it, that's five kids that won't have to deal with her problems. I have no trouble sleeping at night because of the actions of others.

But my personal belief for me, myself, and I is that if I make the effort to procreate and a life is created because of that procreation that's called "consequences." You may disagree with that-and that's fine. We all have to live by our own values and there's nothing wrong with that as long as our values don't become politically backed.

You know what they say about opinions and noses.
clownshooter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Checking your underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 7:49am
Ok I'm going to dust off the cobwebs here and comment. Do I think Akin is a tool. Probably. What bugs me is that these guys have political aides that the candidate is supposed to use to vet his/her comments for syntax, accuracy, and controversial content. God (not the moderator God) forbid a politician should ad lib. (they may tell the real truth and nothing but..!)  I understand what he (Akin) was trying to say therefore I'll stop short of saying he's a mysogynist.
As far as rape is concerned...well yeah, there's legitimate rape which should really be referred to as proven forcible rape; a felony; and  (remember the Duke lacrosse team), not "I consent tonight" and "he raped me" tomorrow type of rape because it's he said she said!
Then there's date rape which I call sneaky rape that seems to me to be a more non-violent form of forcible rape. Then there's good old statutory rape where she said she was 18 (and looked it) and turned out to be 16 uh-oh. The latter happened to the son of a good friend. She actually bugged him to have sex, and told him she was 18. Afterward she bragged about it to friends who were so good at keeping a secret, her parents found out, were outraged and involved the police. It finally got resolved, but the kid now has an assault on a female charge on his record. What happened to the girl? Absolutely nothing! Just another inequity in our legal system which I find strange. The male is always held responsible yet women claim that they are more mature and grow up faster; so shouldn't the blame and charges in some cases be shared? (Note I realize there are those that know the girl is underage and I'm not referring to them. They are responsible)
The Republicans are going to have to throw Akin under the bus, but not for Mysogyny, for stupidity!
Just my two cents FWIW.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 8:16am
Originally posted by clownshooter clownshooter wrote:

Then there's date rape which I call sneaky rape that seems to me to be a more non-violent form of forcible rape.

Go die in a fire, you drooling lackwit.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 10:27am
What's your major malfunction Blowhard...er..ah.. Brihard. You think date rape is a good thing or what eh?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 11:55am
^^^ Just remember . . . his dress uniform does involve a skirt.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 12:17pm
Ooooh!  Lamp
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 2:39pm
Rape is rape is rape.

Que pasa?

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 5:21am
Originally posted by clownshooter clownshooter wrote:

<span style=": rgb0, 0, 0; ">Then there's date rape which I call sneaky rape that seems to me to be a more non-violent form of forcible rape.
I think the date tends to end a few moments before the rape actually happens. There's no such thing as date rape. It's just rape.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic