Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Todd Akin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:35am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

It's an interesting debate, for sure. And it's one I'm not sure I honestly have a solid opinion on. I can for sure see the side of releasing the name of the victim, but I can also see the potential harm in it. 
I see no harm in it unless you argue "Respecting privacy" and "avoiding embarrassment", but why should the accused be any less privy to those themselves than the accuser? Infact, I'd argue the accused is MORE deserving to it due to the idea of due process (innocent until proven guilty) that Americans hold dear and the stigma attached to such accusations against the accused.

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

of course one answer you've gotten at is a good one: Do a better job with follow-up stories. 

I don't see that happening, it won't sell ad spots and produce revenue for the news agency.

Edited by Linus - 24 August 2012 at 1:40am

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

I see no harm in it unless you argue "Respecting privacy" and "avoiding embarrassment", but why should the accused be any less privy to those themselves than the accuser?

It has to do with the stigma around rape. It's why you don't hear this kind of debate around robbery victims, or assault victims, or anything else victims. Rape, because of the sexual violation that occurs due to the nature of the crime, carries this emotional burden with it -- it's something actually counter to most psychological research on the topic, which highly suggests rape is way more about violence and power than it is sex. 

Rape is a weird crime, and it gets weird contextual situations because of it. Not saying those are completely logical, just that they exist. 

Quote Infact, I'd argue the accused is MORE privy to it due to the idea of due process (innocent until proven guilty) and the stigma attached to such accusations against the accused.

It's an interesting proposal. Not one I'm sure I agree with, because the idea of due process isn't really connected to the idea of privacy, and the differences between the societal role of the legal system vs. the media, but it's interesting, nonetheless. 

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

I don't see that happening, it won't sell ad spots and produce revenue for the news agency.

Pretty much. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:57am
I can certainly see both sides of the debate here, but let me throw something out there that I find significant.

To Linus' point, while I agree that showing only the accused could possibly ruin an innocent person, I would argue that the news only shows stories that create a buzz and the simple (pardon my downplaying of severity for the sake of discussion) "girl gets violated by ex-boyfriend / crazy uncle" story that accounts for a large portion of rapes isn't going to be newsworthy. Those are the he said / she said cases where the possibility of wrongful accusation becomes much broader than the "woman abducted by homeless person, raped, and nearly beaten to death" story that's going to make the news.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 11:08am
What I find interesting about the Akin thing is the way the media frames the party they hate with the "extreme" label, when Obama himself voted to keep partial birth abortions every time it faced his vote...

In fact when he described the problem of babies being born alive after a botched partial birth abortion. Obama said this "In fact, they're not just coming out limp and dead,"

Obama then wanted to allow Abortionists to let the baby die by leaving it alone. I guess Tillers method of "snipping" them was too brutal a method of infanticide for even Obama, but letting them starve to death was a suitable "non extreme" outcome for his conscience. 

The way the media plays to one side is so annoying. Especially when it totally goes against the will of the people they report too. 

I guess we Bible thumping red necks are too stupid to understand a baby that is born alive should have the protection of our constitution. 

I can hear the liberal reporter now "silly old federal papers, they just don't understand the complexities of the world today"...

The rape thing is just disturbing, especially when you look at the most popular democrats and their "experience" with rape... Course the media never mentions any of that... But, the public knows the truth. 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 24 August 2012 at 12:01pm
They tremble at my name...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 11:43am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Those are the he said / she said cases where the possibility of wrongful accusation becomes much broader than the "woman abducted by homeless person, raped, and nearly beaten to death" story that's going to make the news.

The former, though, are far and above more common than the "stranger jumping from the bushes" type scenario. And also, the former tend to be the most underreported as well, as opposed to the latter. Mostly because a lot of women don't understand the actual meaning of rape. If a woman and her boyfriend get tipsy, he wants to have sex, she says no, he keeps asking and she doesn't say yes, but simply allows it to happen without fighting, that's still a rape. 

But, then again, what you said is the truth. The much, much rarer "stranger in the bushes" story makes for better news, and gets played up much more often. 

Rape is a really, really weird dynamic in a lot of ways. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 12:53pm
The way the democrats are pumping up the 'war on women' campaign because of this akin flap is just unbelievable. 

CNN commits a random act of journalism. To which Debbie tells him it doesn't matter what she says, or who she misquotes, her message is more important than the facts she is misrepresenting... Or something. 

How anyone can be a fan of the democrats when SHE is the face, voice and logic of their party is beyond me. 

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:10pm
Everything is about liberal conspiracy with you, isn't it?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:16pm
It isn't a conspiracy...

JournOlist, blatant bias that I point out daily, and this..

Clearly the media in our country is liberal. They don't even hide it anymore.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:22pm
And clearly every website you read and news you see is right Wong. They don't even come close to hiding it.

The headlines I see on fox news are so heavily tilted to the right I feel like I have the Onion news network on.
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:35pm
Clearly you didn't read the article I posted twice. 

"Even companies whose news outlets are often perceived as having a conservative bias have given significantly more money to Mr. Obama. Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation, for example, has contributed $58,825 to Mr. Obama’s campaign, compared with $2,750 to Mr. Romney."

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:53pm
Wouldn't you think a right leaning news station would want a democrat in office, so they could report on everylittle thing the president does wrong, instead of defending him. Its a company, they want profits, nothing more.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:01pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:15pm
Yeah, if a republican was President, we would be seeing stories about how our gas prices are KILLING the economy. Stories on the Billions lost through the republican push on solyndra and all the other failed green companies funded by the stimulus. And how Obamacare took 700 billion from medicare...

but, since it is the party they love. They cover it up. 

And whale yawns predictably, as he figures they are just overworked or lazy or something...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Everything is about liberal conspiracy with you, isn't it?

And it's a shame, because I thought a pretty good conversation was going on about rape culture in the U.S. Even if I didn't agree with some of it, it's an interesting dialogue to have. 

But, as what happens when a thread gets spammed and diverted into abortion, the media, and general tin foil, I'll most likely click back to the index after making this post and ignore the thread henceforth. There's no point. It'll be the same links and the same silliness that's been spammed for years now. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 3:16pm
Well, we have had years worth of liberal control, of our media and the government and clearly we are so much better off than we were years ago... 

Oh wait...

maybe they need 4 MORE years? What is the "goal" of the next election anyway, I've not heard from Obama what he "needs" to fix the economy and the country, all I hear is bashing the "other" side from the media and the left.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 3:21pm
I seriously think FE is bordering on spam with this stuff. Your liberal conspiracy has nothing to do with the topic-we're discussing the implications of what is almost universally accepted as a hurtful, offensive comment. Anything else needs to go in another thread.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 3:32pm
Broken record mohr plz.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 3:41pm
It has everything to do with the topic at hand... We are talking about what Akin said. And the left is clearly painting the republican party as the party of if you get raped, you have to have the child. 

Obama and the media want to paint the republicans as out of touch with the country as rape is clearly a touchy subject. 

To pretend that this isn't manufactured political drama is silly. 

Besides, if the conservatives are "extreme" and yet Obama just had the DNC change their stance on abortion to the degree that they have, and that isn't also "extreme" then why even discuss anything?

If the far right is extreme, then the far left is also extreme. 

As I have said before, one of my high school friends was the product of a rape, (he even looked like his moms attacker). 

According to the democrats, he should have been aborted because of the crime of his father. 

He disagrees with that position...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 24 August 2012 at 3:42pm
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 3:58pm
No, he should not have been aborted because he is the child of a rape. His mother should have the ability to make that choice for herself.

Edited by jmac3 - 24 August 2012 at 3:59pm
Que pasa?

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 7:59pm
Can we get some mods to do their friggin jobs? We ignored his spammy crap here for a couple pages until BB just had to respond and now look at the thread. This discussion was making progress.

Please, mods, please. Just moderate already!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic