Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I can finally reclaim my childhood!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I can finally reclaim my childhood!
    Posted: 20 August 2012 at 9:41pm
Link

DNRTFA:

Essentially, Neo-Geo is coming out this December with a new handheld that comes pre-loaded with 20 classic NG arcade games, a dock to connect it to your TV in HD, and a full-sized arcade control pad.

Now, I know most of you on here remember the "Golden Age" of gaming as that crap-fest "Ocarina of Time" but back when us old geezers were still young, you had these things called "Arcades" and you pumped quarters into a machine endlessly in an attempt to spell curse words in the high-score list.

I'll be buying this. The tri-blade Dewalt board planer can wait....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 10:13pm
Are there no emulators currently?
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 10:37pm
Hey. Ocarina of Time was an awesome game, and you old farts are just jelly.

Also, I grew up on Super Mario World. Deal with it.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 10:38pm
You know what Tallen. I lived next to an arcade growing up.

Ocarina of time and goldeneye are still the best video games ever. You are wrong.
Que pasa?

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 11:12pm
Blasphemy, Ocarina of Time is great.

I, for one, have enjoyed playing Pokemon Blue on my phone. I did cheat and get a Mew though, I feel I deserve it since I had two back in the day that I acquired legitimately.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Link

DNRTFA:

Essentially, Neo-Geo is coming out this December with a new handheld that comes pre-loaded with 20 classic NG arcade games, a dock to connect it to your TV in HD, and a full-sized arcade control pad.

Now, I know most of you on here remember the "Golden Age" of gaming as that crap-fest "Ocarina of Time" but back when us old geezers were still young, you had these things called "Arcades" and you pumped quarters into a machine endlessly in an attempt to spell curse words in the high-score list.

1) Links Awakening was the golden age
2) If you're ever in Denver, head to 1Up. It's an awesome barcade with lots of classics, and cheap drinks. Plus it's right beside the stadium so you can head to a baseball game after for $15.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 11:52pm
I made a promise to myself that once I have a house, I will have a man cave and I will either have a contra arcade game, or a sweet pinball machine down there.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 12:03am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Hey. Ocarina of Time was an awesome game, and you old farts are just jelly.

Also, I grew up on Super Mario World. Deal with it.

This x2. OoT and Mario 64 are my two greatest gaming memories, followed closely by the original Half-Life and Wave Race 64 (no idea why).

As far as SMW, my very earliest gaming memories are Street Fighter for the SNES, Altered Beast, Tazmanian devil game, and Super Mario World.

I got into Neo Geo way later via emulators, and I'm still convinced that the Metal Slug series is the video game version of crack cocaine. I can only imagine the sheer amount of quarters those things inhaled only a daily basis. I'll be the first to get a handheld version.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 12:40am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

2) If you're ever in Denver, head to 1Up. It's an awesome barcade with lots of classics, and cheap drinks. Plus it's right beside the stadium so you can head to a baseball game after for $15.

Link's Awakening? As in the gameboy version? Or are you referring to "A Link to the Past" on SNES?
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 2:37am

Link's Awakening? As in the gameboy version? Or are you referring to "A Link to the Past" on SNES?

Now that you mention it, both
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 5:41am

Link

DNRTFA:

You could accomplish this for much less than $200. Buy a raspberry pie and load it with mame and use whatever controller/monitor setup you want a download a rom pack. You'll need the pi, an sd card, a phone charger, monitor and whatever controller you want. I'm putting mine in a RROD 360.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 8:35am

Now that you mention it, both

Choop, you have restored my faith in the younger generation sir.

My holy trilogy from the 16-bit era is "Super Mario World," "Super Metroid," and "A Link to the Past."

Still, I remember being a kid in the 1980's and my dad giving me $5 to use in the arcade while he called bingo for our school's PTA at the local mall. The arcade versions of Rush'n Attack, Rolling Thunder, Operation Wolf, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Afterburner, Contra, etc. were just mind-blowingly fun. I think I spent a good $10 once just beating Ninja Gaiden in the arcade.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 9:33am
Yeah, just get the MAME software and find someone (like me) who has thousands of Roms... I think my current list exceeds 5,000 games. I bet I have every game listed on this thread...

I run it on any of my pc's and you can get usb plug in joysticks and set it up to work with them. I have a Mame system with dual controllers in my arcade in my basement right now. I also have it on my laptop and plug it into my projector... 130 inch TV Joust is a blast!

Remember that one I sold a few years ago that I built... I had $75 in it... (cost of the cabinet and paint). I used an old computer from our shop that I hopped up, and did the wiring. 

I LOVED the arcade as a kid. Spent countless dollars, and untold hours beating games. 

They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 10:02am
MAME just doesn't "feel right" to me though. I don't know why, but it cheapens the experience when it comes to full cabinets for me. But each to their own.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 1:25pm
I still dust off the Commadore 64 and play some classics now and then. Even my 'Intellivision' still works.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 1:56pm
There is no telling how much time I spent playing Goldeneye and Pilotwings 64. On the SNES I've spent many hours on Zelda Link to the past, SimCity, and Civilization. The game genie was a must for me on Zelda and SimCity though.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 1:57pm
My Original Atari....a joystick and one button.  River Raid, my fave.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 6:20pm
ITT: Old folks being video game hipsters.

Also, I agree with the Trifecta: Super Metroid, Link to the Past and Super Mario World. I have so many hours logged on each of those games...

Ocarina of Time was still a great game, though. Majora's Mask pissed me off, though. Twilight Princess doesn't really hold my interest.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

ITT: Old folks being video game hipsters.

Also, I agree with the Trifecta: Super Metroid, Link to the Past and Super Mario World. I have so many hours logged on each of those games...

Ocarina of Time was still a great game, though. Majora's Mask pissed me off, though. Twilight Princess doesn't really hold my interest.

See, to me, "A Link to the Past" is kind of like FF:VI; the pinnacle of the series. Zelda just doesn't translate to 3D for me. And any game that makes you learn to play a silly clay flute, well.....

Speaking of Super Metroid, have you played "Shadow Complex?"
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 8:37pm
Also: http://www.shacknews.com/article/75388/report-nintendo-power-magazine-being-shuttered#

I guess you don't need to buy the hard-copy when you can just find out everything online. Anyone remember the "Game Counselors" you could call (a "900" number of course!) if you got stuck in your game?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic