Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 custom with RT freezing problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fenway212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenway212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 custom with RT freezing problem
    Posted: 14 August 2012 at 5:32pm
I just traded for a 98 custom with response trigger and a 14inch dye barrel.  I tested it out and whenever i shoot the gun gets extremely cold.  I know that it sometimes gets a little cold but the bolt for the response trigger was freezing over, and the rest of the gun was getting much colder than it should be.  I tested out two different co2 tanks and happened both times. 

If someone could help me out with what me wrong i'd appreciate it, thanks
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 6:56pm
This is a natural response when firing a marker that is running off of CO2 rapidly.  CO2 is a liquid that transitions to a gas to propel the paintballs.  This transition from liquid to gaseous state also involves a heat transference.  (Essentially, gases are by definition warmer than liquids so for the liquid CO2 to "boil" and replace the gaseous CO2 in the tank that has been shot heat has to come from someplace.  In this case it comes from the tank and the surrounding atmosphere around the tank.)*

The best way to prevent this is to switch to compressed air which is stored as a gas.  If you can't do this, an expansion chamber or using a remote line (which would act as a long expansion chamber) should help with this.

*Not the best explanation, but I was trying to keep it short and simple so I could stay on topic.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 7:21pm
To add to what Mack said, the RT actually relies on the higher pressure which CO2 provides and runs better off of it than it would compressed air. As he stated, an expansion chamber or remote line will provide the CO2 more chance to fully convert to a gaseous state prior to entering the valve, but it is possible to pass liquid even through those preventative measures when firing rapidly.

The reality is that when you use the RT in play, you should use it in short, controlled bursts just like they would teach you in the military. This not only keeps your paintballs on target (and conserves them costing you a lot less money) but also give the CO2 time to expand in the valve, line, and tank before you next salvo.

All in all, the "freezing" you are seeing isn't detrimental to the marker, and other than wasting CO2 (shooting with liquid in the valve consumes more CO2 per shot than when fully expanded) it doesn't do any real harm.

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
fenway212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenway212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 9:55pm
I'm fairly new to paintball but not completely new, i just never owned an egrip or RT before.  I have a remote line so i will see if that helps the problem.  Would the "freezing" cause some of the balls do fall out of the barrel?  That happened a few times but i'm not sure if that would be because of the freezing.  Thanks for the replies 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 1:47pm
I'm guessing that since this is a used marker and has seen a lot of rapid fire, the ball detent is probably in bad shape, it's a cheap and easy replacement. You should be able to see if it is worn by removing the feed neck or barrel and looking in the breech.

The only other thing you may see with the "freezing" is a slight increase in muzzle velocity, but not enough to be dangerous/give you any more distance.
fenway212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenway212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 8:20pm
Yeah its probably the detent because when I shot it would shoot 2+ balls at once but not how it should with the RT.  i just didnt know if the "freezing" could mess up the detent at all.  thanks alot 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 9:33pm
What you'll run across if you're firing on full-auto all the time is that your detent and your hammer o-ring will ultimately wear out more quickly than they would if it was just semi-only. The cold temperatures do lead to more rapid deterioration, but not so much that you'll likely notice. We're talking tens of thousands of rounds fired to see any difference in life span.

Back when the RT came out and was a factory modification (prior to the first "custom" series 98) we'd see the translucent o-ring around the hammer get cloudy and swell slightly, but this isn't anything detrimental.

That said, nothing looks more totally boss than when you're in the middle of a firefight and there's snow flying out of your marker. Kind of an intimidation factor if you think about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic