Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

electrical fire/issues, need a new car...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electrical fire/issues, need a new car...
    Posted: 02 August 2012 at 8:13am
So tuesday I was screwing around with some wires the previous owner ran for a sound system/lights... And the wires turned cherry red and started smoking/melting stuff... I killed the battery and traced it all out to find the guy had jammed the end of the wire into the fuse socket and was holding it in place with a fuse.

I removed all the wires that were like that.

Yesterday (wednesday) I took my car to get it inspected and it died right infront of a state trooper... Didn't get a ticket just waited 2 and a half hours in the august heat waiting for a tow...

I'm hoping its just the alternator wire being loose...

That aside, I really want an audi S5 or a lotus exiage (sp) maybe an elise...

Either something fast and awd or something that can drive over something the size of a jeep cherokee but I don't want to buy another headache... Any ideas?
saving the world, one warship at a time.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 3:14pm
WRX Hatchback or Lancer Ralliart or EVO come to mind.

I've never been a big fan of Audi myself, but my sister and brother-in-law love their A-6, A-4 Turbo, and whatever it is that they call their cross-over SUV these days.

If you want to avoid headaches, definitely don't go Lotus. That's not to say that they're bad cars, but they aren't daily drivers. I got to talking with some of the rich dads at the school where I work, a couple of them own Lotus Elises and Exiges and have stated repeatedly that they are "toys" for sunny days or weekends at the track. Most of them drive Mercs/Audis/BMWs for daily drivers if they're city boys, and the "outdoors" guys who have Lotuses and Porsches tend to be fans of either Land Rovers, Chevy Suburbans, or Subarus (with the full trim levels of course!).

I'd go new Subie WRX if I was in your position.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2012 at 11:10am
I could of sworn this thread was going to be started by Reb
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2012 at 11:24am
I really wouldn't want an Audi or a Lotus, myself. Ignoring my hatred of those rice burners people drive these days, I would never want to buy an Audi. Lease a new one, sure, but never buy. Reason being maintenance is sky high on them (since it is soooo much more than a rebadged Volkswagen), and Audis seem to lose their flair quicker than Mercs or BMWs. It seems to me that the stereotype for a 10 year old Merc/BMW/Lexus is still a solid buy, whereas a 10 year old Audi just seems like a "kids" car. 

That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess what I am saying is that other luxury cars seem to have more "class" as they age. And a Lotus really isn't the type of car you drive every day. 
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2012 at 12:40pm
I just bought an 2006 lincoln ls v8(with under 50k).  They're pretty cheap compared to bmw's, lexus's and audi's. It has 280 hp 285 lb -ft RWD.  Fun as heck to drive aswell. Only prob, manual trans only came in 00-02 models and make up somthing like 5% of sales? So there near impossible to find.
Yerntor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yerntor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 6:07am
Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

So tuesday I was screwing around with some wires the previous owner ran for a sound system/nice led lights... And the wires turned cherry red and started smoking/melting stuff... I killed the battery and traced it all out to find the guy had jammed the end of the wire into the fuse socket and was holding it in place with a fuse.

I removed all the wires that were like that.

Yesterday (wednesday) I took my car to get it inspected and it died right infront of a state trooper... Didn't get a ticket just waited 2 and a half hours in the august heat waiting for a tow...

I'm hoping its just the alternator wire being loose...

That aside, I really want an audi S5 or a lotus exiage (sp) maybe an elise...

Either something fast and awd or something that can drive over something the size of a jeep cherokee but I don't want to buy another headache... Any ideas?

It must be due to some kind of short circuit

Edited by Yerntor - 09 November 2012 at 1:05am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 6:49am
Not a spam bot, just a strange necro post.....
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 6:52am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

How did I miss this little dig? LOL

ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 8:46am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I really wouldn't want an Audi or a Lotus, myself. Ignoring my hatred of those rice burners people drive these days, I would never want to buy an Audi. Lease a new one, sure, but never buy. Reason being maintenance is sky high on them (since it is soooo much more than a rebadged Volkswagen), and Audis seem to lose their flair quicker than Mercs or BMWs. It seems to me that the stereotype for a 10 year old Merc/BMW/Lexus is still a solid buy, whereas a 10 year old Audi just seems like a "kids" car. 

That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess what I am saying is that other luxury cars seem to have more "class" as they age. And a Lotus really isn't the type of car you drive every day. 

I would have to disagree.. Not on the Lotus part, but on the Audi part.. Audi has stepped up their level of standards, Compared to BMW at least, I see far more new Bimmers coming into the shop for repair, than i do Audi's.

Sure, they never hold resale very well, but they are definitely not the same company they were 10 years ago.. Even the girlfriends' 00 A4 quatt 2.8 is impressive.

Moral of the story, Keep it maintained, with regular services, and run a good oil. I don't think you would have a whole lot of problems.

Plus all the S models, are just wicked fast.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 5:01pm
Those higher-end cars will run forever if you use good oil and maintain them. Audi has come along, BMW hasn't been doing as solidly well as it has in the past, but I suspect it's other's catching up instead of a drop in quality. I love Dad's 1-series. It's fairly practical, and very well-behaved, meaning it does what you tell it to without complaint, and is very well thought-out in terms of comfort and controls. The 3-series has become too expensive and bloated to be fun and is more focused more on luxury than sport, unless you go with a 2-door and bigger engine. The 1-series reminds me a lot of the older boxy E-30's in that it's fun to drive, light, and affordable, and if you go with the 3.5L Turbo, it's more powerful than the last 6-cylinder M-3's and lighter. If you're considering a toy like a Lotus, I've had a lot of fun in the MX-5. If you can get past the hairdresser-car image, it's fun, simple and nimble, if somewhat twitchy. It's 50mph-90mph isn't too great since it's a 4-banger, but it still feels like it's on rails on the highway doing over 100mph. It really shines on twisty mountain roads.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

How did I miss this little dig? LOL

Not a dig, just sympathy.

You didn't get your title by accident. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic