FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

College cooking thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:50pm
SSOK, what cooking methods do you have available to you? Just the Foreman Grill and Mic? Or do you have a real stove/hotplate available?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Well, a little update to this thread.

I can't cook for the life of me, and my diet is crap. For beginners, I don't eat breakfast.

Protein shake and a multivitamin.

Secondly, my meals are usually microwaved leftovers from home, hamburgers pan or George Foreman fried, baked hash Browns, chicken breast with light seasoning, and maybe a Taylor ham sandwich mixed in there.

Meh.

If you're using your george formeman, a crap diet is no ones fault but your own. Grilled or baked chicken and frozen veggies is super cheap/easy.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:54pm
Tallen, I have a stove and such available. I actually have the same stove that you do, and I hate the thing. 

USAF, my crap diet is abseloutely my own fault. I'm not on here to whine about my diet, I am just admitting I'm beyond hope LOL
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Tallen, I have a stove and such available. I actually have the same stove that you do, and I hate the thing. 

USAF, my crap diet is abseloutely my own fault. I'm not on here to whine about my diet, I am just admitting I'm beyond hope LOL

That's the world's easiest stove! Once you realize that "High" = hotter than Hades on a summer day and that for most cooking, you should rely on a setting of 5-6 for the burners, it's a great stove!

Goya Adobo Seasoning will make anything taste better.
Lawrey's Seasoning Salt will do the same.
When all else fails, Blackening Seasoning will make it easy to get down

Frozen veggies (especially the "steam in bag w/ sauce" variety are your friend

Invest in a cheap rice cooker. It makes putting a decent starch on the plate a snap. It'll work with short grain, long grain, and converted varieties just fine.

Get a digital instant reading thermometer.

Steak: Cook to 130-135*F for perfection
Ground Beef: Alway go at least 145*F but 155*F is safest
Chicken: 165*F means it's done, try to keep it just there, otherwise it'll go dry
Pork: 145*F unless it's ground, then it's 155*F. Again, it'll go dry if you go to high.
Fish: 135*F unless you're dealing with good tuna, then just sear it on each side.

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 8:06pm

Here's a tip from a fellow college person-buy a wok.

First off, do what tallen said and buy a rice cooker. I DETEST cooking rice, but here lately I've got to where I try to throw some in the rice cooker the night before and set it on a timer. Then you just store a large amount of rice in the fridge so you can fry it when you want.

I can't speak for healthy, but it's easy to make fried rice with fresh ingredients that tastes just like what you eat in Chinese places. Plus, wok's are easy clean, easy cook, and for me, there's only one temp setting to worry about-high. Especially on an electric stove like mine, you just crank the burner all the way up and go to town.

It makes cooking fun, and since it's really more of a dry type thing you'll spend less calories on sauces and more just experimenting with meats and veggies.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 12:40am
I really do wish I could cook better. I was never exposed to much of it as a kid - my mom wasn't exactly a prime chef. I really don't even know where to start when it comes to learning how. 
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 12:44am
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I really do wish I could cook better. I was never exposed to much of it as a kid - my mom wasn't exactly a prime chef. I really don't even know where to start when it comes to learning how. 

It's really just a matter of following a recipe. The internet is full of terrific recipes, and if you start slow you'll get the hang of it pretty fast.

It's equal parts paying attention and creativity LOL 

I started with pasta and worked my way up-though I still can't bake if my life depended on it.

Someday I'll cook like Tallen Wink

Oh, and what tallen said about seasoning-keeping some good premixed seasonings around will save your life. I keep a big thing of Tony Chachere's on hand at all times and throw it on everything. Good seasoning is mostly what separates just okay food from really good food.

Edited by stratoaxe - 20 February 2013 at 12:45am
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 1:08am
I can make basic pasta. Usually.

Any recommendations on other easy dishes to try?
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 3:50am
Salmon patties.  Open can, make patties, fry in olive oil, top with lemon juice or creole seasoning.   
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 10:37am
Saw this yesterday and darn does it look deadly and easy, not healthy.  But prob tastes amazing.

I'm trying to get back into healthy cooking.  More veg, less carbs and meat.

Olive oil, garlic, onions, mushrooms, spices and herbs to your liking, peppers, spinach, baby bok choy, zuchinni.... ALL OF THE VEG!   Hand full of wheat pasta. Some cholula or siracha and I'm golden. To me thats a solid stirfry thats healthy and easy as anything. Throw some salad shrimp in for protein. Cheap and you can make it fresh everynight in under 30min.

Sub pasta for rice, shrimp for a chunked chicken breast. I cut my veg to suit the pasta or rice. Rice- chopped finely, penne more of a chunked chop, fetticine or spaghetti thin sliced and long.  Makes the dish look better and easier to pick up with the fork I find.

When buying kitchen ware look for things with multiple purposes. My panini grill works as a george forman and a flat grill. My submersable blender works as a wisk and a chopper. Saves money on tools and space in the kitchen.

Woks and slow cookers are amazing for large groups or to seperate and freeze portions for the next few days/ weeks.

Homemade soups and salad dressings are easy, fresh and tasty. Homemade veg stock as a sub for store bought beef and chicken will cut down loads of salt and is as easy as anything. 

Cooking before the internet would of been a lot harder. Now you can reference almost any recipe out there to get the basic idea of how to do it.  But just like anything you build yourself up.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 11:33am
Super easy recipe:

Ingredients:
1 pack of sliced roast beef (carvingboard style is best) - heated in a skillet
1 pack instant mashed potatoes - made according to directions
1 can beef gravy - heat it in a pot
2 slices of toast 

put the toast on a plate.  Put the beef on the toast.  Put the potatoes on the beef.  Put the gravy on the potatoes.  Eat it.
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Super easy recipe:

Ingredients:
1 pack of sliced roast beef (carvingboard style is best) - heated in a skillet
1 pack instant mashed potatoes - made according to directions
1 can beef gravy - heat it in a pot
2 slices of toast 

put the toast on a plate.  Put the beef on the toast.  Put the potatoes on the beef.  Put the gravy on the potatoes.  Eat it.
There's a slowcooker meal. Or in the oven. 

2-3lb eye of round roast
Garlic
Potatoes, whole.
salt and pep 
half cup of water 
table spoon Flour 
pinch Steak spice
2 slices of toast

Throw the roast and potatoes and garlic into the pot in the morning , sprinkle salt and pep. Turn it to low. Come back hours later/after work.  Take out roast and potatoes. Mix water and flour add it to the roast beef drippings, add steak spice if desired, making the gravy. Mash potaoes that have been sitting in the juice and garlic all day.

Build like evilles. 

Same meal, Easy as heck to make and you save yourself from all that processed food.

Edited by little devil - 21 February 2013 at 12:49pm
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Salmon patties.  Open can, make patties, fry in olive oil, top with lemon juice or creole seasoning. The next step is burn down your house to cover the horrible smell.    

You left out one step.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 1:51pm
The final step is to take leftovers to the office the next day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic