Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mayor of Boston attacks Chick-fil-a...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayor of Boston attacks Chick-fil-a...
    Posted: 25 July 2012 at 11:49am
So, we have entered a new stage of our country. Either proclaim the politically correct "secular humanistic" statements, or we will keep you from opening businesses... As the government will stop you from expanding your company if you repeat Christian viewpoints. 

Seems to me our country was founded when a certain group of Christians were tired of their government forcing their religion down their throats...
They tremble at my name...
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 12:02pm
I think you should wait to see the outcome of the court battle before you go declaring that the government is persecuting them based on their beliefs.  A non-crazy post at this point would read something similar to:
"The mayor of Boston has banned Chic-fil-a from the city.  I wonder if the courts will uphold his mandate or if they will strike it down as unconstitutional or outside of his scope of power."

All I'm saying is let the system run it's course before you go declaring the entire thing broken and corrupted and start hinting at impending revolutions.

Edited by evillepaintball - 25 July 2012 at 12:03pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Seems to me our country was founded when a certain group of Christians were tired of their government forcing their religion down their throats...

Seems like someone needs to re-read their history books. Not everyone involved in the founding of our nation was Christian, some were pronounced atheists. What they were, was a group of enlightened men from the European Protestant tradition. But nowhere in any of their documents do they talk about Jesus. They talk emphatically about science, "The laws of nature and nature's god" (that's straight out of the declaration there Bubba!) and the values of equality, but never mention Jesus, which seems to somewhat important in the claims of them being "Christian."

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they weren't religious, they were, but in a much more scholastic attitude than you find with the religious right today. Instead they were secularists who believed that a higher power (god) was involved in the creation of the world around us and the laws (physics mind you, but also the basic tenants of the Torah and Bible) which they believe he created.

They didn't accept the fantasy present in the bible. To whit, Jefferson wrote his own version by stripping out everything that wasn't scientifically believable (no miracles) and chose to use that condensed text which contained Jesus' teachings as his path in religion, seeing him as a teacher more than the son of god incarnate.

But what is most important to remember about all of this FE, is that the founding fathers created a living foundation for our nation, one which could be changed with the new discoveries and new beliefs of the generations to come. As intelligent as they were, they understood that they couldn't possibly predict the future and that we, as the inheritors of the nation they helped build, would need to change things as we learned and grew as a nation and a species. To that point, not suffering the intolerant to do business is in line with the nation as it stands today. We don't, as a nation, believe in discrimination of any kind. We've fought wars over this very thing. The Mayor is the elected executive representative of the city, and thus, through his actions, is representing the will of the people, not the will of the government.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 1:08pm

As the government will stop you from expanding your company if you repeat Christian viewpoints. 

Stepping aside from the restaurant thing for a moment....

I thought it was the Islamic extremists that supported the persecution of people for being different than they...not the Christians?

I always get the two mixed up. The similarities are too stark.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 1:53pm
So not allowing a company to build a store there, BECAUSE the CEO made the "mistake" of saying his religious beliefs. 

That is not an example of discrimination?

Me thinks you need to check out the meaning of the word again...

Would it be OK if a guy who owned a burger joint, came out and said he was a supporter of "teh ghey" and by the way he was going to open a store in that town. 

And the mayor (a member of the government) decided he wouldn't ALLOW him too because of his support for "teh ghey"...

Would that be discrimination?

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:03pm

So not allowing a company to build a store there, BECAUSE the CEO made the "mistake" of saying his religious beliefs. 

Me thinks you need to check out the meaning of the word again...

Would it be OK if a guy who owned a burger joint, came out and said he was a supporter of "teh ghey" and by the way he was going to open a store in that town. 

And the mayor (a member of the government) decided he wouldn't ALLOW him too because of his support for "teh ghey"...

Would that be discrimination?

While I think the mayor of Boston will eventually lose this battle in court, you chose a poor hypothetical comparison.

It's one thing to express your beliefs if it is to emphatically include a group. To express beliefs that are to exclude a group is different. It SHOULD be the same in the eyes of the court, ie Free Speech, but that does not make it the same thing.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:09pm
Why?

Did either statement affect anyone? Clearly people agree or disagree with either position, but no one is harmed by either ideology. 

It was what a person THINKS. Are we now using thoughts to determine if we allow someone to build a business?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:12pm

Why?

Did either statement affect anyone? Clearly people agree or disagree with either position, but no one is harmed by either ideology. 

It was what a person THINKS. Are we now using thoughts to determine if we allow someone to build a business?

No no no. I'm saying that it is easier for a government official to side with an accepting state of mind rather than a prejudiced one.

Thus, a government official who is opposed to a company that supports current laws versus one who would oppose wide spread acceptance would simply not be in the same light. I wasn't attacking you, I'm saying it's not really the same img in the hypothetical you posited.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:12pm
Attempting to prevent a Chik-Fil-A from opening due to religious affiliation is indeed discrimination and should not be happening. I don't see the City of Boston winning this case, nor should they. 

That doesn't mean people are not free to boycott the business -- heck, I've been boycotting it for a number of years. Their openness in supporting hate groups is not some new thing. 

But, you cannot, and should not, prevent them from opening. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:18pm
I thought this was AMERICA? Is this not AMERICA? What happened to AMERICA?
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:20pm

Another good example of discrimination would be some attempting to prevent folks from opening up an Islamic community center in an abandoned retail space in downtown New York City simply because of their religion. 

It was as silly and short-minded then as it is now with a Chik-Fil-A. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Why?

No no no. I'm saying that it is easier for a government official to side with an accepting state of mind rather than a prejudiced one.

Thus, a government official who is opposed to a company that supports current laws versus one who would oppose wide spread acceptance would simply not be in the same light. I wasn't attacking you, I'm saying it's not really the same img in the hypothetical you posited.

Wait, so if the muslim brotherhood, a group that believes that the only way to run a country is through sharia law (which clearly is NOT accepting of gay's)  then the government should be against the support of that group because they are prejudiced?

But, they aren't, why?

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:29pm
Again some polititian forcing his 'favered' political or religious view on others.

Simple solution, if you do not like the religious views of the bussiness don't frequent it. Pretty simple of course till you get lawyers involved and a political agenda.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 2:58pm
What a total idiot. You're going to openly block a business from being built over the religious beliefs of the owner?

I hope his "freedom trail" involves lots of legal fees.

I love Chik Fil A and don't give any more of a crap about their religious beliefs than I do the flamboyant Oreo.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Why?

Wait, so if the muslim brotherhood, a group that believes that the only way to run a country is through sharia law (which clearly is NOT accepting of gay's)  then the government should be against the support of that group because they are prejudiced?

But, they aren't, why?

Sigh, I'm not even arguing with you, I even said I bet this will get shot down in court.

I'm just saying there are better ways to pose a hypothetical discussion if healthy discourse is your goal.

Clearly, you'd prefer to argue and/or preach than see a opinion that, while similar to yours, isn't 100% the same as yours. Dealing with other denominations must really piss you off too, huh?
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 4:29pm
I think it's hillarious that he's all on the soapbox over Chick-a-filla but doesn't say a thing about other business in Boston like bank of America that have done way more damage to the state than a chicken joint.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

I think it's hillarious that he's all on the soapbox over Chick-a-filla but doesn't say a thing about other business in Boston like bank of America that have done way more damage to the state than a chicken joint.

Yay!!!! EE is back!

How's the new digs buddy?!?! Did you get everything taken care of and everyone situated back on the homestead?

Also, it's true what everyone else has said about it not standing up in court. But you have to look at it like this FE, If you replace "homosexual" or "gay" with any other race, sex, or creed, you'd agree that the uproar would be justified, yes?

Hiding discrimination and support of hate speech behind religion isn't going to work anymore.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 5:13pm
Sewer pipe is busted. Dolts who demoed the house must had hit it with the excavator. Nasty mess. Hope to have it fixed by Monday. My interwebz are jacked up too. But I finally learned to walk the trigger on my Crossover once I chucked the spring behind the trigger.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Seems like someone needs to re-read their history books. Not everyone involved in the founding of our nation was Christian, some were pronounced atheists. What they were, was a group of enlightened men from the European Protestant tradition. But nowhere in any of their documents do they talk about Jesus. They talk emphatically about science, "The laws of nature and nature's god" (that's straight out of the declaration there Bubba!) and the values of equality, but never mention Jesus, which seems to somewhat important in the claims of them being "Christian."

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they weren't religious, they were, but in a much more scholastic attitude than you find with the religious right today. Instead they were secularists who believed that a higher power (god) was involved in the creation of the world around us and the laws (physics mind you, but also the basic tenants of the Torah and Bible) which they believe he created.

They didn't accept the fantasy present in the bible. To whit, Jefferson wrote his own version by stripping out everything that wasn't scientifically believable (no miracles) and chose to use that condensed text which contained Jesus' teachings as his path in religion, seeing him as a teacher more than the son of god incarnate.

But what is most important to remember about all of this FE, is that the founding fathers created a living foundation for our nation, one which could be changed with the new discoveries and new beliefs of the generations to come. As intelligent as they were, they understood that they couldn't possibly predict the future and that we, as the inheritors of the nation they helped build, would need to change things as we learned and grew as a nation and a species. To that point, not suffering the intolerant to do business is in line with the nation as it stands today. We don't, as a nation, believe in discrimination of any kind. We've fought wars over this very thing. The Mayor is the elected executive representative of the city, and thus, through his actions, is representing the will of the people, not the will of the government.

I'm just quoting this because FE's selective eyesight seems to have missed this post. Strange how the logical replies just dont seem to show up on his browser.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Sewer pipe is busted. Dolts who demoed the house must had hit it with the excavator. Nasty mess. Hope to have it fixed by Monday. My interwebz are jacked up too. But I finally learned to walk the trigger on my Crossover once I chucked the spring behind the trigger.

Ugh dude! Sucks about the sewer pipe! I'm about ready to pull my hair out just buying a house, I can't imagine losing one and then re-building it. I'd probably have gone crazy by now if I were in your shoes.

Yeah, the crossover trigger seemed a bit too stiff to me when Shorty showed it to me last time we hit up the range together. I'm used to the lighter pulls on DMs and Minis. Even my Franken-Tippmann e-bolt project has magnetic return.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic