Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shooting Competition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shooting Competition
    Posted: 23 July 2012 at 6:56am
Well Sat the 21st was a busy day. 1st was the muzzel loading event, my 1854 Hawkins .54 shooting patched ball getting me 12th out of 37.

Then the afternoon 'Service Rifle' competition. With my 1943 issue M1 Garand I scored 775 out of a possible 800, iron issue sights only, 25-500m, the top 8 went five rounds of perfect 800's till they began to 'miss' just that little bit.

With the CAR-15 did respectable, but was smoked by the Nebraska Guards MTU unit.

Got a Cowboy action shooting event next weekend, dual pistols, lever gun, and shotgun. That is just for fun, it is a hobby and not a serious as my long range shooting.

Been reloading 45/70 to the full charge of 70gr FFFg and 405gr round nose 'service' ammunition for the Model 71. We got a 'bucket' shoot coming up (patterned after the 'Quigley Down Under' bucket shoot) and need a good 500yrd load. No rifle designed after 1899, and black powder loads only, no smokeless.
Looking at a 45/110 Quigley Rifle again, but at $110 for 20 rounds,brass alone is $65 for 20, may pass. http://www.shilohrifle.com/shop/product.php?productid=115
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:32am
45/110 is stupid fun though. Like touching off a small cannon. Busy shopping for a bigger safe, just gave away my two cap and balls, they changed the law and I don't have time to meet requirements :-(

Love cowboy shooting, it is just good fun.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 11:02am
I miss doing service rifle matches. 775 is a great score, how did you do on your rapid fire? Was it the reduced course or the full 500 yard match?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 11:28am
Full Course. Maxed both rapid fire, screwed the pootch on other stages, standing got me bad, heat and in a hurry. Suspect the heat blurring of target got me. But was just for fun anyway.

The top 8 as stated went 800 per for five more needed rounds, before we had misses, I am no where near that good.

Next year is the M1A.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 11:41am
30.06 in standing off hand under direct sun is a tough one.  Direct sun is a point thrower no matter what rifle you are using.  Sweating gets your pulse and breathing up causing sight picture bounce.  Where is your non shooting hand hold with the M1A? On magazine, under/supporting the magazine or "cupping" the front and mag well base and fore stock?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 12:00pm
On the M1A (M14) 7.62X51NATO (.308) I use my off arm in a wrap around mag with elbow supporting rifle, off hand grasping trigger hand. Stable but only for a real short period, so it is aim, shoot, relax, reaquire, aim, shoot, relax.

On the M1 Garand (30-06) I use the open palm center of fore stock hold. Actually the style as in the 1941 FM. If I grasp forestock I get far more 'wobble' in sight picture.

There is a totally differant recoil on each rifle, the M1 Garand tends to kick a little higher so reaquiring is the trick there, the M1A not so much.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 12:56pm
Agreed, the M1 has a bit more recoil. That 30.06 let's you know you are shooting.  I have only used my Garand in what the range designates as "old timer matches".  No NM M1's strictly G.I. issue. They do allow you to use any time period bolt action military rifle or semi-auto.  I shot alongside a guy using an 8mm FN 49.  He could not hit the inside of a tent with that.  My M1A is a "loaded" model. No glass bedding or NM rear sight. It is much more of a comfortable shooter.  It would appear we use a similar standing off hand hold. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic