Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Proclaimers were full of crap. (video added)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Proclaimers were full of crap. (video added)
    Posted: 21 July 2012 at 12:38pm
500 miles is too far to go for any piece of tail.  I went to Nijmegen, Netherlands and did 102.5 miles over the last  4 days with a 15 kilo ruck.  Now that I am comfortably resting at home with swollen feet and ankles and extreme chafing in my own Netherlands(That was terrible placement for a seam, Dri-Duke.) I'll post up some pics for those of you not on my FB.

Here's the first town we walked through on the first day.  The people were fantastic everywhere;  it was like a hero's welcome every time we went through a town.  Kids would line the street for high fives, people were holding out bowls of fruit, cucumber slices, candy, throwing flowers, etc.  

Here you can see the line of people behind me still crossing the bridge over whatever river that was.  41,000+ people walked in the event.  Classes ranged from 30km no pack, 40km with and without a pack, and 50 km without a pack, per day.  I walked the 40km with 15kilo pack class.

Here I am standing under the famous(maybe) boots and hat at the Camp Heumensoord (Human Sword!) gate at the end of the first day.  This route was 28.5 miles.  I completed it at 1400, with the time limit set for 1700.  We stepped off at 0430 that morning.

Here's a bunch of people walking.  The event began as all military, but now, sadly, military marchers are vastly outnumbered.  41,000+ walkers overall.

Hooray Beers!

My friend is sad that we are out of Beers.

And here I am, just finished the last day and got my medal.  I was kind of happy at this point...

Until I found out there was a 5k victory lap.  We gathered all the Americans we could find and made a little formation.

There were dutch girls everywhere with signs for free kisses.  Of course I couldn't say no.

100+ miles and this was my only blister.

And of course, the after party!
This was easily the most rewarding experience of my life.

Update:  video finally uploaded

Edited by evillepaintball - 21 July 2012 at 3:23pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 1:20pm
Congrats! You managed to do in a few days what the Brits couldn't do in a week with motorized vehicles.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Congrats! You managed to do in a few days what the Brits couldn't do in a week with motorized vehicles.

In all fairness, they had a bit of an obstruction.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Not much. The 10th Guards had an open road to Arnheim after the US Airborne took the Nijmegen bridge. The British paratroopers were getting slaughtered in Arnheim while the 10th Guards decided to stop for the day for tea.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 4:32pm

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Not much. The 10th Guards had an open road to Arnheim after the US Airborne took the Nijmegen bridge. The British paratroopers were getting slaughtered in Arnheim while the 10th Guards decided to stop for the day for tea.

if you know any brits, you know that tea time IS an obstruction for whatever else needs be done.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 5:27am
The Dutch are amazing arent they?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 5:38am
They are quite hospitable. I don't know if they just did it for the marches or if it is always like this, but the landscaping in every yard we passed was superb.  
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 12:29pm
You prick! I would LOVE to do Njimegen. We send several teams a year of course, but being able to get on one, and being able to commit the time for training normally conflicts with my summer courses/taskings...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 1:05pm
Unless your teams mandate the training, don't worry about that.  We designed a good training schedule to be ready by the time we got there.  I made it about 2 weeks into it before I got too busy to train anymore.  Other than two, very slow 5 mile marches my company did, I hadn't done any sort of marching for over 2 months before getting there.  It's all mental.  

Edit-  I saw a ton of your kind there.  I think this marked 60 years of participation from you guys.  They made a decently big deal about it.  I didn't quite make it to the cemetery in time for the ceremony.  

Edited by evillepaintball - 22 July 2012 at 1:06pm
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 1:30pm
I was going to do this a few years back but in the end due to staffing problems we couldn't field our team, I was gutted at the time but I probably wouldn't have made it then.

Well done fella!
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 1:41am
What unit are you with? 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 1:42pm
18th MP Brigade
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 3:38am
Germany might be a bit hot this time of year! I ran in to one of the MPs when I was leaving Afghanistan and had to hop my flight in Germany. Not sure if he was 18th or not but he wasn't happy with how our ALO was acting. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 11:34am
If he was in Germany, he was 18th.  We are currently in the middle of a heat wave, today's high was 82!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic