FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Disappearing wires.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disappearing wires.
    Posted: 14 July 2012 at 7:53pm
Another car question. Not sure how many car people are left on the forum, but it's worth asking. 

So on my 2008 Hyundai Tuscon, I've got a trailer hitch installed. And that hitch, upon being installed by the dealer, was also wired up so that trailer lights and all that can be functional. Ever since I used a U-Haul trailer to move to Ohio, thus using the hitch, I've had the wire and plug in wrapped around the hitch and tucked up into the pin thing, clipping it in place. Not glorious, but it seemed like it worked. 

I go out to my car today with my girlfriend. She looks at the hitch and asks "Hey, didn't there used to be a wire thing there?" 

And sure enough, it's not there anymore. 

So I've got some hypotheses, and I was wondering what you thought about them. 

• H1) At some point, without me noticing, the wire and plug became unconnected from the little holding pin and unwrapped, dragging on the ground, where it became snagged or something and tore off, leaving no trace of its existence. 
  • H2) When I last took the car in for my 30k mile routine checkup, in which I had my brake fluid and other stuffs flushed requiring the car to be on a lift, someone saw my unorthodox wire storage method and muffin-stuffed the wire up somewhere in the car. 
To approach the potential impacts of these hypotheses: If H1 is supported, is my car in some kind of potential danger? If H2 is supported, where should I look to find the thing? 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 8:08pm
How easy are they to remove?  I was guessing someone stole them was going to be an option.

Edited by pntbl freak - 14 July 2012 at 8:08pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by pntbl freak pntbl freak wrote:

How easy are they to remove?

Oh, I didn't think of theft. And I have no clue how easy they are. I don't know if the wire that comes down is just a plug from where else, or if it's actually hard-wired from somewhere else. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 9:00pm
My guess is that if someone stuffed them up into the car, they would be somewhere as close to the back bumper as possible, as someone wouldn't take the time to trace them all the way up into the frame for a better spot.

If they were removed by theft of dragging, your car isn't in any trouble. I've cut off old brake light wires before because they were corroded and damaged, and never had any trouble. Your biggest problem is not having them anymore.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 14 July 2012 at 9:03pm

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 9:08pm
Reb's got the gist of it, look under the bumper to see if they're still there, if not, no biggie so long as your brake lights still work. Of course, now you won't be able to get the brake lights to come on when using a trailer....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 10:41pm
Probably had a 4-pin connecter, they are very easy to wire; I just converted my wires Forester to 7pin. Lots of stores have the 4 pins with instructions for under $20.  They are low amperage and the worst that can happen is you might blow a fuse.  Maybe crawl under the back-end and take a look just in case they did wire it up fasten it up tight to the frame so you don't waste and $$.

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 14 July 2012 at 10:43pm
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2012 at 7:19am
Look between the plastic bumper housing and frame rail attachment, there is a hollow in there that mechs usually have access to rear wire harness and might have stuck wies up there.

Aftermarket 'free hanging ' trailer harnesses as 'plug ins' and do have a tendancy to fall or break off at the connestion due to excessive movement in slipstream if not properly secured.

Local auto parts store has inexpensive harnesses, use the rigid plug in type attached to rear frame or lower bumper attachment frame, where there is a hard 'plug in' rather than just a wire hanging 'plug in'. Not rocket science to rewire either.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic