Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gay marketing: Cultural indicator or cheap grab?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 3:47pm
Well, Chris Rock was slamming on whites that the 4th of july is just a "white people" holiday...

Course, he is a democrat. 

EVIL!?!
They tremble at my name...
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

So just because there's no need to do something means you should be ridiculed for doing it?

Question that I feel is important here: Why do you think society would look negatively upon a white pride event/parade/etc. Assuming it was not associated with any hate-based organization, just some independent thing about the awesomeness of being white, straight, and male. 

I can think of many reasons. Alot of people would probably associate white prosperity with previous persecutions in society, and perhaps be offended in such a way that it was rubbing said prosperity in the faces of others.

But you and I both are aware of why there aren't any white pride parades. It's a combination of the obvious and a sense of social guilt that whites tend to endure in a "sins of our fathers" type manner.

Let's flip this conversation around a little here. We can talk of society all we want, but this issue is purely individual. When we talk about injustice and inequality on society we tend to see minorities as individual elements and whites as a conglomerate. Whites are the control group in every equation.

But for some reason, white prosperity is fine as a sociological point but I think alot of less prosperous whites (the majority of all of us) find the ideal fairly nonexistent. Im an individual person with my own racial background, my own set of challenges, and my own culture. But at the end of the day I'm a white male Christian. I'm taught my own history and culture in an apologetic manner, yet as an individual I've never taken part in any of these acts.

If you took out the word white and replaced it with anything else that paragraph could be any moving speech from a battered civil rights activist-but I'm white, so I'm just whining. Obviously I have unlimited access to prosperity, I'm white.

Statistics and sociological studies are great for solving problems en mass-but in an individual conversation they become less relevant. I think there are two realities for everyone-the society and the individual. I think that's where equality is lost.

We as a society fought for decades to stop applying stereotypes to minorities and women-we've buried words, enacted legislation, we've done amazing things. But now being white is the new stereotype, and in the long run I feel that this is reviving old hatreds and sentiments.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 4:00pm
I think that was meant as a joke, you know, those things that comedians tell.  

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 4:14pm

But you and I both are aware of why there aren't any white pride parades. It's a combination of the obvious and a sense of social guilt that whites tend to endure in a "sins of our fathers" type manner.

One, what is this obvious that is unstated? 

Two, I was under the impression from a number of others in this thread that the reason there are not white straight male parades and public showings is because other outside groups would ridicule them, not an internal sense of guilt. 

Is it outside ridicule or internal guilt? 

This is the root of the issue I have with ignoring the existence of privilege in society. It's not individualistic, as you state. It's very, very much a collective construct that is built at the societal level. 

Your later statements seem to imply that the concept of privilege is tied to resource, which simply isn't the case. It's not a conversation about wealth. Socio-economic privilege is a thing, no doubt, and an interesting point of conversation (One I would most likely find myself agreeing with you on), but it's not the same as discussing the point that was originally made in this thread -- one that began with sexual preference privilege, or racial privilege, or gender privilege. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 6:48pm
I think we likely agree for the most part on this subject. I'm tired and rambling like an old man again

The gist of my argument is just that the common man may not relate to a social stereotype that he's classified in. This in turn can cause bitterness and resentment that wasn't necessary.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been a sociological advantage tied to being white-again, you and I both know that this is true. But try telling that to a poverty stricken white family-they don't just suffer in a lack resources. Poor white trash is a hard stereotype to overcome. The bitterness you see in the south is that of large geographical regions of poverty where people are mocked and made fun of but their neighbors on the same block in the same position are shown as victims of an Anglo centric society. You and I can discuss this on a sociological level but the uneducated and poor see it as discriminatory and hurtful. Yet even discussing it or pointing it out earns them a racist tag.

So I agree 100% that white pride displays are both unnecessary and would probably be offensive to some. But at the same time everyone deserves a voice and a sense of pride.

I hope that makes more sense. It's not that I feel that whites are in any way victimized or at a disadvantage, it's that I see a double standard in conversations. And insignificant though conversations may be, I feel that it's adding to the racial divide and giving rise to fringe groups and extremist political views that otherwise would have never surfaced.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 6:50pm
As far as the obvious in my statement, I'm referring the ridiculousness of the idea that a majority group would parade or match to get their name out there. I think that are obvious reasons why white pride marches and the WET don't exist so I don't feel the need to retread those again. That discussion is way overplayed.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 10:59pm

Just for the record, I don't have any social guilt about the "sins of my father's."  It's not that I don't think wrongs weren't committed, it's just that I didn't do any of them.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2012 at 12:52am
If we all had parades then we'd just fight over who's parade was the most fabulous.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2012 at 9:39am
^^^ That reminds me of that episode of Fairly Odd Parents where Timmy wished everyone was the same. Despite the fact that EVERYONE was an androgynous gray blob, everyone still found reasons to put down others. It's human nature. It's been going on for millennia. I sincerely doubt we, as a species, will get over discrimination.

Edited by DeTrevni - 07 July 2012 at 9:42am
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2012 at 9:56am
After Target had a bit of a PR kerfuffle concerning them donating money to an anti-gay organization, they appear to be attempting to mend fences. 

Or, they're trying to make money. More likely the latter. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 26 July 2012 at 9:57am
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2012 at 6:54pm
I approve!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic