FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

thoughts on this one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thoughts on this one?
    Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:31am
I'm sort of surprised this story didn't find its way here already:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/19/us/texas-abuser-father/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

The long and short of it is, a guy catches someone sexually abusing his daughter, beats him to death, and isn't going to be charged.

IMHO, this is in fact how the story should end.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 20 June 2012 at 8:32am

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:42am
Not being charged. Good decision.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:51am
I'm glad he wasn't charge, but I struggle with the decision... He killed the man. (I probably would have too in that situation). 

But, the law is the law, he should be charged...

No jury would convict him, and when we start picking and choosing which laws to follow, we are in trouble as a nation.

Besides, the emotional scars that family will bear now, horrible. The sad part is, some lawyer is trying to find the victims family right now to file a massive wrongful death lawsuit against him, that will bankrupt his family. 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 20 June 2012 at 8:52am
They tremble at my name...
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 9:01am
Yeeeeah, the potential civil suit might be a bit of a bear. The guy's already been through a lot...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 10:31am
Last I heard he was being charged, or at least it was being investigated as a homicide.

I think that is right. It shouldn't be swept under the covers, but if the investigation finds the story played out as it was reported then sucks to be the dead guy.

In South Africa lethal force can be used in self defense of another and it is allowed to prevent the rape of a person, so I'm OK with the dead guy being dead.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 10:33am
You wouldn't get charged for it in NC either, though if he beat the man to death, rather than say, shooting him, that would change things....

The person just slightly below the abuser on the pyramid of douchebaggery? The lawyer who files the wrongful death suit.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 20 June 2012 at 10:35am
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I'm glad he wasn't charge, but I struggle with the decision... He killed the man. (I probably would have too in that situation). 

No jury would convict him, and when we start picking and choosing which laws to follow, we are in trouble as a nation.

Besides, the emotional scars that family will bear now, horrible. The sad part is, some lawyer is trying to find the victims family right now to file a massive wrongful death lawsuit against him, that will bankrupt his family. 

This . . . to a tee.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 1:49pm
     It's legal to use deadly force in Texas to prevent the offense of Aggravated Sexual Assault. The only hiccup in this case was "The father stopped the alleged abuser, and then pounded him repeatedly in the head, killing him, authorities said." The killing happened after the sexual assault was stopped so the deadly force was not necessary.
     I'm personally glad that the father got no-billed though. The best way to not get beat to death by angry fathers is to not sexually assault their 5 year old daughters.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:07pm

Agreed.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Agreed.

Need to save FEs quote for future citation.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 5:18am

But they did not 'pick and choose which laws we follow'.

The case was referred to a grand jury- the proper mechanism for determining whether to indict or not. They looked at it, and found a prima facie case for lawful use of force in defence of another against aggravated sexual assault, in accordance with the laws of Texas. That's exactly how the grand jury system is intended to work and what it's there for. It's a check and balance that allows for the societal conscience to have some legal weight.

There were no legal shortcuts here; it was a legal mechanism that decided not to indict.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 9:06am
Bri, Ah, I didn't know that, with all the people in judicial positions who are just doing things because they can, I assumed incorrectly that this was just another case of that type of action. 

Glad to hear it followed the law!

They tremble at my name...
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 9:27am
How on God's green Earth did you just turn that into a double edged statement?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 12:45pm
I suggested that they should mount his head on a stick as a warning to others. Put the picture of his dead beaten to a pulp arse up on a billboard with the title "This is what Texas does to child rapists."

Someone mentioned that the place where this happened was in BFE. Surprised they didnt just bury the body somewhere and go about their day.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I suggested that they should mount his head on a stick as a warning to others. Put the picture of his dead beaten to a pulp arse up on a billboard with the title "This is what Texas does to child rapists."

Wouldn't work as people would just confuse it with the similar billboards which state "This is what Texas does to gays, liberals, northerners, illegal immigrants, etc."
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Wouldn't work as people would just confuse it with the similar billboards which state "This is what Texas does to gays, liberals, northerners, illegal immigrants, etc."
So you're equating all these to child molesters? Wink
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic