FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Tippmann Crossover Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Tippmann Crossover Review
    Posted: 23 May 2012 at 5:29pm

Tippmann Crossover Review

The first thing I noticed when I received Tippmann’s newest marker, the Crossover, is the small, eco-friendly box. You will not find any bulky Styrofoam or molded plastic. Do not be afraid that the eco-friendly packaging will not protect your marker. Tippmann has a reputation of durability and this marker does not disappoint. Also, don’t let the size of the box fool you; what is contained inside is definitely impressive in a huge way.  

Opening the box reveals the marker. Be ready for a surprise. This marker is streamlined and compact compared to Tippmann’s previous markers. This marker is build for players who want speed, durability, impressive features, versatility, and great design.

Design – The forced aluminum receiver is built tough. I am not worried that this marker not going to allow for an aggressive style of play, on both a rugged woodsball and tournament field. No need to be shy with this marker.

Like the TippmannX-7 Phenom, the Crossover marker also features the FlexValve Technology which allows the marker to operate in electronic or mechanical mode. This means a player can go all out on a tournament field in electronic mode and with a flip of the selector switch, be in manual mode where the player is in has more trigger control. With the marker in manual mode, there is no need to worry about battery levels or running out of paint too quickly. This marker allows the player to choose which mode they prefer in any given situation and easily make a switch when the situation changes.    

The front grip and trigger guard are nicely designed fit to allow the player a really tight and compact body stance, (elbows tucked together in front of the chest) greatly minimizing a players profile while advancing forward on the field. This marker is comfortable to hold for the right or the left handed player. The only drawback in regards to the double trigger guard is the pointed front tip. Try not to rest this tip on your wrist to balance the weight of the marker or stabilize your shooting. Due to the shape of this tip, it can be painful to do so. The provided double trigger has a solid metal feel (doesn't feel like it would break when squeezed) and has enough length for a player to easily “walk the trigger”.

Another notable feature is the clamp on the feedneck. I was able to easily adjust the tightness of the clamp, during play, with gloves and I didn’t have to worry about it coming loose. It was also great to not have to use any tools to make the adjustments.

Two of my favorite design features are the internal gasline and the grip covers. The grip covers are very comfortable and help ensure that my hands remain strong and help keep me out at a field longer.

Air Source Options – While Tippmann recommends that the Crossover use compressed air/nitrogen, CO2 is also compatible (see the user manual for suggested tips for best results). I used compressed air when testing the marker and didn’t see any large spikes in consistency when testing the marker. Also when testing this marker there was little recoil, thanks to the marker’s spool valve design. Less recoil increases accuracy between shots.

Technology – The marker’s electronic board is factory pre-programmed with tons of firing modes but players still have the ability to customize the settings to adjust the settings to exactly how they like it. The manual is very informative and provides step-by-step instructions on how to change the settings. Some of the preset firing modes include semi-auto, auto-response, 3-shot burst, PSP, NPPL, and Millennium. The board also includes a tournament lock, to help ensure safety on the paintball field. No need to upgrade this marker’s board, it already has it all!

Looking inside the marker, for the Crossover, Tippmann relocated the placement of and added an additional ball detent. The detent is no longer on the bottom of the breech but has it has been moved to the left and right sides, just forward of where the ball drops from the centerfeed feedneck. This allows for Tippmann’s first introduction of intergraded anti-chop eyes to their line of markers. This electronic beam keeps track of whether or not a ball is properly loaded in the breach, and keeps the marker from firing if the ball is not in place, reduced the number of paint breaks inside the marker. I did not run into any problems with paint breakage using a midlevel paint and a force feed hopper with this marker.

Barrel – The included barrel was accurate while I tested the marker using midlevel paint. The paint used was roughly six months old but was still in good condition, not brittle or dimpled.

Bonus – A few extra items worth mentioning: the product manual and Tippmann’s customer service. The included product manual is very thorough. Tippmann did an excellent job in providing valuable information to the player. The manual not only includes safety instructions but detailed information on how to maintain, troubleshoot, and program the marker. There are also several images and schematics, parts lists, and easily read disassembly instructions. On top of that Tippmann has a global reputation for excellent, top-notch customer service which they fight hard to keep on a daily basis. They can be reached easily reached through a toll free customer service number, email, or through the internet.

When you buy a Tippmann marker, you are not only buying an affordable, quality, and durable product, you are buying their excellent customer service should you ever have an issue and need to utilize their assistance. With this Crossover marker, Tippmann once again delivers!

Overall – With all of the features included features Tippmann has integrated into the Crossover marker, there is very little need upgrade this marker. Right out of the box, this marker is versatile and will fit any player's needs. Whether you prefer woodsball, speedball, or the rush of laying down paint loads of paint in a tournament, this marker is ready from action on any type of field you choose to play!  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic