Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What has everyone been up to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:26pm
Not much to report.  Still working.  Still married.  Youngest crumb-snatcher turned 1 last month.  I lead a mundane life.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:06am
Not too much to report for me either. Graduated in december with a LOLberal arts degree (with PhiLOLsophy as the major, no less) because the entire reason for me getting an undergraduate degree was to get into law school. The more and more I looked into it, the less and less appealing three years of rigorous study and hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt seemed.  That alone might not have deterred me, but since the market is incredibly saturated with JDs, and something like one-in-four people who have a Juris Doctorate don't even work in the legal profession, I opted not to commit such a large chunk of my life to being a successful lawyer.

Instead, I'm a cart-donkey (among other things) at Costco.

In the meantime, since I'm the sort of arrogant and athletic douche who feels they are qualified for it, I'm training for the PST required to make it to BUD/S and be a part of Naval Special Warfare. I'm beyond the minimums for everything they require already, but I intend to be able to do double the minimum requirement for push ups, pull ups, and sit ups, and do the swim and run in nine minutes.

Until then, I'm relaxing and enjoying the company of my girlfriend and housemates. Good times.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:42am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Fortunately, one can be a mountie and a reservist at the same time.

GATYR

I dabbled with the SEALs a bit. I took a PFT to see what it was like.

They really want more than double the mins. 20 Pullups, 100 situps, 100 pushups, is what will get you in. You sign a delayed enlistment contract. Before you go to boot, you have to pass the PFT with a competitive score three times. You'll have to pass it again boot. When you do the PFT, they want you to keep going until the time is up no matter how many you have done.

Practice the combat side stroke as the technique is tricky... but it's the fastest I've ever managed to swim.

And make sure you really want it. The people with the slightest doubt are the ones who end up chipping old paint. They want people who will accept no other option than SEAL. If you don't make it, it's a solid 18 months of service until you can try again.

Edited by Tolgak - 12 May 2012 at 1:45am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:25am
Gatyr, one of my good buddies is with some form of Naval special combat forces (not SEAL) he does armed boarding from helicopters and also jumps out of perfectly good airplanes to go shoot at people. Anyway, if you want to know what different routes and combat roles you can get into in the Navy that isn't SEALs, let me know and I can shoot you his info. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:56am
Just continuing the grind looking for a job in law enforcement. It's tough right now, as everyone has a bachelor's degree(which I originally thought would set me apart), or a ton of military experience. That, and with a down economy, law enforcement sees a boom in applications.

Getting a little tired of waiting, so I've started to look at some other options(military, back to school, etc.)
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Just continuing the grind looking for a job in law enforcement. It's tough right now, as everyone has a bachelor's degree(which I originally thought would set me apart), or a ton of military experience. That, and with a down economy, law enforcement sees a boom in applications.

Getting a little tired of waiting, so I've started to look at some other options(military, back to school, etc.)

Heard anything from the DC MPD?
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:25am
I'm doing a whole load of not much the now. 

Finished the one year access course to go onto to a law degree and got the grades etc but in the end decided not to follow it up right away. The way I see it is I was pretty much the youngest guy in that access course with the age range leaning towards 30-25. So I decided to save as much cash as I can and start doing the things I'd regret not doing like travelling and all that cliche hipster bollocks. 

I'm currently working for Aviva insurance just customer services for motor insurance. It's not a particularly bad job but its very much a lot of the same stuff I and everyone else in this city has been doing for years. But It's a means to an end before I decide to knuckle down and get to grips with adult life. 

I think I'll be saving like a madman until about October then I'll head out to Dubai for a week or two. The plan being to have a visa and some money sorted for then going to Australia to meet up with some friends that are heading out in August. Then I really haven't planned much further yet. So I have no real idea how well/badly it will go, I could come back skint with my tail between my legs after making an arse of it in November or they might need to deport me 5 years from now a rich and happy man. 
   That's probably the real appeal of it to me, If I don't have any expectations then I'll have a hard time being disappointed.  I am still at the "Yeah I can do that" stage so no actual paperwork or commitments made but it's been on the cards for a while so I think I'll make it happen

So yeah nothing major or interesting to report just having a wee mid life crisis albeit a tad earlier than usual.  My best friend has a son now so that's been freaking me out a bit.  My wee brother is the youngest in the family but he's 18 and at uni so I think it's time to get some crap done.

I've been dossing about for year and I got wound up about it for years but now  the lack of direction is something I've gotten a lot more relaxed about. I've already laid the ground work for starting law so I can pick that up whenever really and if I pull the travelling off then it will be cracking I don't think I'll regret any of it.

Edited by scotchyscotch - 12 May 2012 at 10:27am
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:15am
Scotchy, plan on visiting the states at any point before you knuckle down and get started on adulthood?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:59pm
Well that was definitely something I was considering but the limited research I dod into visas seems like I could only get a working holiday visa if I was a student so I'm not sure how feasible that would be. I suppose there would be ways to get it done but they're not particularly obvious at the minute.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:11pm
J1 visa is the way to go. All you need to do is enroll in a uni over here, fly over, enroll in 1 course, pay the fee for it, and never go. After that, you're still eligible to stick around for the length of the visa so long as you're saying "Oh, I'm just taking a month off between courses"

At least, that's how all of my Russian and Romanian friends do it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 9:01pm
How much do you reckon these "courses" would cost? and what are the chances I could get a place as some random jock with no real qualifications? 

I mean if it's feasible then I'm all over it. As long as the rest of the chumps on here have couches they don't mind a random interweb miscreant crashing on.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

How much do you reckon these "courses" would cost? and what are the chances I could get a place as some random jock with no real qualifications? 

I mean if it's feasible then I'm all over it. As long as the rest of the chumps on here have couches they don't mind a random interweb miscreant crashing on.

Look up "J1 visa" and then "Northern Virginia Community College" and you'll see that it's pretty easy, or if you feel lazy, just get one of the many companies here in the US to do all the legwork for you:
Like so
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:29am
  • I got a scholarship chosen by my teachers based on my design work. More proud of the recognition than the money but its still nice
  • I turn 21 in 9 days. Excited to taste alcohol for the first time ever, ever.
  • I've been on the forum for 8 years soon
  • I'm living in Athens Ohio this summer, moving out for the first time. Excited to cook and live on my own but it can suck also.
  • Got an internship at WOUB in the fall. Which is the local NPR PBS station so I'll be a tree hugger.
  • When I peed this morning it smelled like cheerios.
And I look like this.

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

GATYR

HAI SWEET CHEEKS

Yeah, those are the numbers I had in mind, I just didn't feel like spelling out all of the expectations I have for myself.

And trust me, I've looked into this as much as possible without actually having top secret clearance. I've read plenty on the subject and done as much as I can to learn what it is I would be committing myself to. I'm confident I can make it as long as I get the chance.
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Anyway, if you want to know what different routes and combat roles you can get into in the Navy that isn't SEALs, let me know and I can shoot you his info.

HAI SWEET LIPS

I'm pretty committed to being a SEAL. I don't know too much about anything under the NSW umbrella that isn't EOD, SWCC, or SEAL, but I feel like if I could be swayed into considering/switching to a commitment to something else, I wouldn't be up to ANYTHING in that line of work.

But, we'll see how it goes. If I'm ever in Virginia doing my thang, I'm kidnapping Tallen and we're going shooting.
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 3:08pm
Ahaha, bravecoward looks all grown up. 
I graduated college 1 year ago today.
Moved from Wisconsin/Minnesota to Boston with my GF of 4 years almost 1 year ago today. 
I got a full time job for an e-commerce company as a systems engineer, and I've been there for 11 months.
I got an ADORABLE Australian Shepherd puppy to call my own;

And I haven't posted on this forum in months Cry
And I'm still an hero

Edited by Mehs - 13 May 2012 at 3:09pm
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:50pm
thinking about giving up on cans that dive to weld on cans that drive...

trying to learn german... and still have an addition to firearms
saving the world, one warship at a time.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

trying to learn german

Good luck. I think Sanskrit is probably easier.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:10am
I just had an awesome weekend up in Whistler. The most massive, amazing mountain I've ever ridden by far. My view during the start of one of our runs on Saturday.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 7:43am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

trying to learn german

Good luck. I think Sanskrit is probably easier.

I wise man once said, "life is too short to learn German."
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:14am
Last child has been moved out for over a year, miss them all but loving the freedom and I'm transferring down to Calgary (or Burnaby) next year.  Looking forward to kayaking and the usual summer stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic