FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What has everyone been up to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:47am
"Note to self: Marry the right woman." Took me four tries and a boatload of money to figure that one out.

Other than my hobbies not much going on. Getting 'farm' up to shape, finding and marking the guinea hen egg clutches and counting the sitting hens. Not a bad count of over 100 eggs so far and at $9-10 per Keet (the term for guinea chicks) a good profit margin at local flea markets. Only costs are chicken wire to make a circle around the clutches, hens will sit till eggs hatch and then fly in and out as required. Got to keep critters out and keets in till about 3 weeks old.
Already popped two good sized coyotes out in the fields, I use my 45/70 Model 71 'Buffalo Rifle' with full 70gr powder charge not those wimpy 55gr commercial versions. Strawberry fields we can call it.

Been riding the XR 650 around my MX track, saturday I strip it down for the Endurance race on Sunday. Love it other than weight, it is essentially a XL with factory upgrades in suspention and engine. Nose heavy so not a flyer, but it is a digger.

We have a 'shoot' coming up on the farm, have my 25m pistol range backstop built, also acts as the 250m rifle backstop, and have two electric stone throwers for trap or skeet. With the rolling fields, all the iron and steel plate laying around and a shovel was not hard, even stops 7.62X51 NATO. My Civil War and other collector pieces seem to be a hit, as a lot of people have never shot older weapons, and the hollywood representations just don't ring true.

I purchased a WW2 Parkerised M-1911 as well as a Beretta M-9 (92FS) to complete my whatever I carried in the military collection. Momma has said NO to the $6K semi-auto M-60.

And I do not really want to hear your 'female issues' Momma is in full blown menopause, got a foxhole in the back yard and there are days I spend totally in the backyard or mancave with helmet on tight and low waiting for the next barrage.

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:15pm
Not much has changed over the last year for me. Do to an uptick in burglaries and copper thefts I got got pulled from crimes against persons and moved to property crimes. It should be less stressful, but I might miss the persons aspect. I'm one year closer to paying off some debts, and hopefully I can start getting more free money for toys. I purchased a XDM 45 a month and a half ago, and am waiting for the paper work to clear on a can for my .22.

-edit- Its been 10 years or so since I heard the term DIP from OS, but I still tell myself not to DIP when I'm playing battlefield.

Edited by deadeye007 - 10 May 2012 at 1:18pm
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:50pm
Watch out with selling those birds OS, you might get a call from the Dept. of Agriculture that you don't want.  I seem to remember a thread with that situation and a bunny farm a while ago.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:22pm
Damn, its crazy how old everyone's gotten.

Getting ready to head up to AMD for another summer tour, doing slightly different work this time. Definitely ready for the semester to end and get back to Austin. When I get back I have only one more semester before graduation and, ideally, grad school. Been getting my feet wet with VLSI design this semester, and it's neat stuff. But I've also been eyeing Planetary Resources heavily lately, and may consider a change of focus, we'll see though.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Momma has said NO to the $6K semi-auto M-60.

Which means you are cleared in hot on the transferable M60. RIA M-60 - $28,000.

Sounds like your collection is doing good though. Was the 45/70 part of your "what I carried" list?

I'm still waiting two years later for approval for the AK I bought. The wait continues!

Finding the right woman. Not easy. I was lucky enough to pass on the ones I should have. One thing you must know is any problems or incompatabilites that crop up in the relationship phase will NOT get better. If it is a problem during your in-lust phase, it is a problem.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:09pm
I got 99 problems...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Finding the right woman. Not easy. I was lucky enough to pass on the ones I should have. One thing you must know is any problems or incompatabilites that crop up in the relationship phase will NOT get better. If it is a problem during your in-lust phase, it is a problem.

So very, very, very true. You're never going to change them, they're not going to change you. I have a friend who married her husband thinking "He'll grow up once we get married and start taking on responsibilities." That's a big negative on that one. Not gonna happen.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:01pm
"Was the 45/70 part of your "what I carried" list?"

In another life maybe.....LoL

Already checked Nebraska Dept Ag. Selling 'keet's which are not consider a 'food' animal is legal and unrestricted. I can not sell the eggs.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:52pm
Graduated with my third degree - Sitting for national Radiologic Technologist Board accreditation in June.

Accepted into Florida Hospital College of Health and Science

Currently looking for a full time Job.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 6:46pm

Still making photos, though inspiration has been a bit... lacking, lately. Except for an anti-foodblog-blog.

Working on finishing up my undergrad, it hasn't been a smooth go, and I'm eager to have that sword not hanging over my neck any longer. On the other hand, thinking about extending it a little bit more and taking the summer off to work and make photos, maybe try and get some sort of tangible progress going there, look into exhibition/zine printing/magazine work... In the back of my mind is the crazy urge to move to Mexico and try and make a go if it somehow.

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 8:08pm
It's been a while, glad to see you guys all seem to being doing well for yourselves.

In the last couple of years I realized I was spinning my tires and going nowhere. So I quit my job, took a temporary worker position at a local circuit-board manufacturer. Last December they laid off all temporary workers in the shop (appx 150 temps plus 50 "full-time"), except for myself and 2 others.
In March they gave me an offer letter for a soldering/quality position and sent me to several classes to learn how to inspect/repair printed circuit boards (PCBs) per the IPC610-A standard. I also obtained a certification in Lean Six Sigma, all at their cost - and actually on the clock for the whole 3 weeks.
I usually spend most of my day looking through a microcope at incredibly small resistors/capacitors/wires etc but mostly the solder connections. Our product is medical equipment, so you really do not want to mess anything up - you must wear gloves, ESD gear and such.

I'm just biding my time until an Engineering or Management job opens up. The company is multinational, and I'd love to move high enough up to travel. Also, the benefit package is great: excellent healthcare, dental, optical, profit sharing quarterly as well as PTO.

Edited by Bunkered - 10 May 2012 at 8:09pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

Accepted into Florida Hospital College of Health and Science

Moving to Orlando? 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 9:39pm
I purchased a house in the end of January. It's a foreclosure in need of an interior remodel. That's been keeping me busy. I also took up Internet dating because my work hours lead to a crappy social life.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:08pm
I, too, have 99 problems and no female

Finished my third year of college, and my first day of summer was today. I am still interning for a small engineering firm, where I do basic cad work and get paid $15 an hour which is sweet. Right now I am feeling crappy for a few reasons (waiting on a final grade*, its been cold, rainy, and crappy for a few weeks it seems, and I got denied by a girl I have been talking to for awhile when I thought I had it in the bag), but I know things are going to pick up in a few weeks. No big issue.

As for my final grade, I am kind of stressing out about my thermodynamics class. Earlier in the semester my professor said it was his final year teaching (adjunct with a real job anyway) and we were all going to slide by and pass. Most of the class had mediocre grades (not from laziness, from difficulty of the material) and for the final he gave us vague instructions on what to expect, and the entire class studied stuff that was irrelevant and most of us expected a fat zero on the final. Then he sends out an angry email about the performance on the final, and has not posted the final grades in two days since then. 
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

In March they gave me an offer letter for a soldering/quality position and sent me to several classes to learn how to inspect/repair printed circuit boards (PCBs) per the IPC610-A standard. I also obtained a certification in Lean Six Sigma, all at their cost - and actually on the clock for the whole 3 weeks.
I usually spend most of my day looking through a microcope at incredibly small resistors/capacitors/wires etc but mostly the solder connections. Our product is medical equipment, so you really do not want to mess anything up - you must wear gloves, ESD gear and such.

How do job prospects look for this field private sector? I'm 2M/ATE certified for military comm equipment, but really haven't heard about anyone who does this as a civilian.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:18am
Being a grunt other than a hit man for the mafia my military skills tended not to be in demand in the private sector either.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I've also exceeded my "time without getting laid" quota. I think if this dry spell goes any longer I'm going to get a marriage license in the mail.

Its funny how you think that's a joke.

You guys married the wrong women.

Note to self: Marry the right woman.

Plus Reb has a decently young child and one on the way if I remember correctly...so if my understanding of human procreation is correct he's not exactly dealing with lonely nights 365 days a year

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 10:24pm
I accidentally graduated back in June, so that sort of leaves me without an excuse for real life. I've taken a few more university classes since then for fun, and have been working full time army reserve contracts doing operations and recruiting for my unit. On Monday I finish my six week urban operations instructor course, and then I  have my small arms instructor course immediately following, which will qualify me for Sergeant (E-6 for you guys).

I just recently got word of a job interview on Thursday for Corrections Canada, teaching rehabilitative programs to offenders. I also heard back form the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, our federal force (and not actually mounted, generally)- I've been skimmed form their merit list and have now entered the suitability/reliability part of the process where they need to make sure nothing rules me out. So it's going well.

I've got a girlfriend in the picture since about last July, and things are moving along well there.

Overall this has been a hell of a good year for me.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

I've got a girlfriend in the picture since about last July, and things are moving along well there.

You.... You harlot! You've been two-timing me this entire time?!?!? You said you only loved ME!!! (well, and Stealth, but who doesn't amiright!?!?)

Glad to hear things are going well! The real question is this, will the RCMP route allow you to continue to blow things up for a living?
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

You.... You harlot! You've been two-timing me this entire time?!?!? You said you only loved ME!!! (well, and Stealth, but who doesn't amiright!?!?)

Glad to hear things are going well! The real question is this, will the RCMP route allow you to continue to blow things up for a living?

Fortunately, one can be a mountie and a reservist at the same time.

That said, I recognize that this is as good as things get for me army wise. Today I did three air assault hits from Connecticut Naional Guard UH-60s. We were doing live explosive breaches, with simunition for shooting in the buildings. Good times. This is rehearsals for our final platoon hit on Monday.

Who knows; if I end up ERT as a cop I may get back into it.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic