Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What has everyone been up to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What has everyone been up to?
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:33pm
Forum has been a bit slow lately, and I believe that's due to everyone growing up. So what have you been up to lately, and accomplishments, failures, hardships?

I'll start.

Received the news today I passed my National certification. I am now a glorified taxi driver, or EMT-B for short. Wasn't exactly sure why I wanted to pursue this career field, but I ran into a wall the last year or so, and figured to try something new. Going to wait and see if I like it enough, before pursuing medic

Thinking about taking a course on welding next semester. Always something I wanted to be knowledgeable on, especially TIG welding.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I ran into a wall the last year or so, and figured to try something new. Going to wait and see if I like it enough, before pursuing medic.

Told you they were going to find out about the dead hookers.....

I've obviously been on here quite a bit, just look at the Chernobyl Movie thread and I think you'll find I've only got about 2 more replies before I've got a full dissertation.

Being the end of the school year, I figure all of our collegiate folks are worrying about finals and graduating into one of the worst economic cesspits of all time.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:54pm
Graduated in December of 2010...took me two months to find a job.  Production Engineer for LG Chem making the batteries for the Chevy Volt.  Spent the first 2.5 months of the new job in South Korea being trained on the process since our plant was still be built.  Plant is now completed for the most part and we are working to get it up for start of production here shortly. 

With the new job comes more money Tongue.... so I bought.... a new car, new sofa, new bed and bedroom set, new living rooms tables, new chair.  Kinda tired of apartments so I'm now going month to month with my current place.  I want to rent or buy a house or condo but I'm not sure how much longer I will be living in this area.  I've always wanted to move out of the midwest.

Also took a week to go to Mardi Gras a little bit ago and have a cruise coming up in a few months.  Recently turned 24 so the girlfriend took me to Chicago for a night to see a comedy show.

This weekend I might take a trip 1.5 hours south to a humane society that has a Labrador Retriever puppy I might pick up.  Still cant decide if I really want to put that much time into raising a puppy though.

Softball finally started and work has sponsored two men's teams and two coed teams.  I play on one of both and excited for that to get going.

TLDR...I'm enjoying "real" life.

Edited by pntbl freak - 09 May 2012 at 3:20pm
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:00pm
Well, In the past year I graduated from college, pinned on my Army 2LT bars, went to MP school, moved to Germany and now I am running a platoon of Soldiers.   As for hardships, I get up at 0520 every morning and am at work by 0600.  I ruck march for about 2 hours to train up for the Nijmegan 100 mile ruck march in July.  I spend the rest of the day parenting 40 adults while trying not to do anything that my commander will yell at me for, which is difficult because we get very little guidance and 7 months into my job, I still haven't gotten my initial counseling which is where I sit down with the boss and she tells me her expectations, goals, protocols, etc.  Also, my hopes of deploying soon were crushed when we got taken out of the rotation.  I do, however, still love my job.  There aren't many opportunities for people to take on this much responsibility at the age of 23 and the days are never dull.  Plus, I get to shoot a lot of big, cool guns. 

Outside of work, I have had a chance to do a little bit of traveling around Europe.  Went to Budapest a couple months ago and am leaving in a couple of weeks for Palma de Mallorca. 
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 3:06pm
  • Finishing up my year at Community College doing Network Support.
  • Passed the first half of my CompTIA A+ certification test just yesterday.
  • Turned 19 and got my driver's license. (now I can drink AND drive!)
  • Enjoying driving my friends around who are home from university.
  • Not sure what I want to do in the fall... I might get an official aviation physical and apply to a flight college, no clue what I want to do next year. All I know is that I do not want to pursue the IT field.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 4:50pm
I finished my degree and am moving to Colorado next month for an internship with CP+B in Boulder. Was in San Fran a couple weeks ago, Seattle last weekend, and headed to Whistler this weekend before going back home for a visit.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:55pm
Tons of Nothing.

Still job hunting. Did an interview last week for a job that didn't have technical certifications listed as a job requirement, but the first question they asked was "Why u no have certs?" So, I finished the interview and have counted out hearing from them again.

Two other places have thanked me for my application and are keeping my resume 'on file' which I suspect is fancy talk for lining a bird cage with it.

Firefighting exam results come back next week. A couple of people with far, far too much faith in deities which are never that transparent are trying to tell me I am going to be given that job because "The timing is perfect."

5 hour pistol class taken last week. I learned how moronic NY really is when it comes to pistol permits. I'm picking up the actual application this week so I can start that intricate tap dance routine.

Wife's pregnancy has taken its toll on her lately, she's been battling various ailments that come as part of the package.

After nearly two months and over a thousand dollars spent in the process, we have a working stove in the house again. (First one we paid to have it converted and installed, then it leaked gas and we paid to repair it. Then it leaked again, manufacturer replaced it for us, and we paid to have the second one converted and installed. Manufacturer refusing to refund ANYTHING of the cost.)

#1 son is about the only bright spot of things for me right now. He's growing in leaps and bounds and his speech (which has been delayed) is progressing at an amazing rate. He's developed a sense of humor and unfortunately....opinions as well so I find myself actually having arguments with a three year old, then we both get yelled at by the wife.

I've done a few side jobs for people with computers lately, and I'm hearing so many negative things about the local computer repair shop that I'm considering going into business for myself up here. I just don't know anything at all about running a business and don't want to fail at that too, so I haven't made any moves on it yet.

So that is what I've been up to in a nutshell. There's a few more delightful facets that I missed, but you get the general gist of things.

It IS uplifting however- to see others doing so well for themselves.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Firefighting exam results come back next week. A couple of people with far, far too much faith in deities which are never that transparent are trying to tell me I am going to be given that job because "The timing is perfect."
Big smile

He's developed a sense of humor and unfortunately....opinions as well so I find myself actually having arguments with a three year old, then we both get yelled at by the wife.

I laughed out loud at the second part.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:38pm
- Changed my major, now heading into Jr. year.
- Threw a giant car show as a part of UConn's car club; becoming CFO and Event Planner next year
- Working full time over summer, part time during the semester
- Just completed a move where I work
- Worked my butt off to get my GPA up a little bit.  Sucks when you have a bad semester; seems to be much easier to move your GPA down than up LOL
- Playing paintball for the first time since early high school this coming Saturday
- Getting more into real firearms
- Just got my first credit card to help build some credit before I get out of college
- Trying to enjoy friends and maintain a ladyfriend in the rest of the time, which there hasn't been much of

Definitely been one of the craziest years I've had... just happy its summer and all I have to focus on is working and having fun between.

Edited by Yomillio - 09 May 2012 at 7:43pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:14pm
Same as last year for me. GPA is a little lower than what I need, but this is just community college and I'm still transferring with a good grade so I should be fine.

I'm the weekend manager of a hospital admissions department, got a promotion in first two weeks of work there (a mini promotion, but still better up then down) but still can't wait to find real employment somewhere. Thinking of changing my major to accounting from management.

I'm working on getting my application in to local police departments. Physically and mentally I'm in great shape and I have a spotless record but I'm red green colorblind so odds are against me fulfilling that fantasy.

I'm adding .410 gears, headers, exhaust, and a tuner to my car over the next few months. Hopefully this'll all end in supercharger.

I have too many guns and now want more. It's my disease really.

I've also exceeded my "time without getting laid" quota. I think if this dry spell goes any longer I'm going to get a marriage license in the mail.

That's my year so far. Not amazing, but much better than last year this time.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I've also exceeded my "time without getting laid" quota. I think if this dry spell goes any longer I'm going to get a marriage license in the mail.

Its funny how you think that's a joke.

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:56pm
You all know what I do for a living. 

Last week the administration decided to fix a staffing problem for a required class -- Multimedia Reporting -- by having me teach it. 

Good things: I'm not a TA anymore, I'm a full teacher of record. It's a more advanced class, both in level of students and difficulty of assignments. It's an online class, so I can work from home.

Bad things: The first I heard about this change was the beginning of last week, giving me less than two weeks to prepare myself for a class I've never taught. I've never taught an online class, so I'm having to scramble to learn how that system works. 

Long-term good thing:  By "agreeing" to do this for them last minute (And by agree I mean I didn't pitch too much of a stink, as they were going to force me to do it anyway), they guaranteed me my own class in the upcoming spring 2013. Starting then, I'll be teaching "Social Networking & Society." It's a class someone else teaches now, but the current teacher has looked for younger blood to freshen such a modern topic-heavy curriculum. I'm excited. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:56pm
I wrote this long bit about what I've been doing but the forum rejected it as spam. So this time it's short.

I've been working for Wings of Alaska... flying people and cargo to nearby cities.

The view is great.

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 12:06am
I've been planning a wedding for the past year.  
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 12:36am
Basically, I've been trying to enjoy life as much as I can, making the most of being single, playing bass in a couple little bands. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of my life, not pushing that too hard though. Exploring options.

Music though... I love it more than anything. I've written a few songs here and there. Just folky crap, but I love it. 
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:18am
I've been seeing PCF's fiancee on the side.

and fighting crime.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:37am

You guys married the wrong women.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:20am
Applied for a ER room gig, crime scene clean up company, and talked to a guy that is a instructor. At the local skydive field.

Crossing my fingers now.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

I wrote this long bit about what I've been doing but the forum rejected it as spam. So this time it's short.

I've been working for Wings of Alaska... flying people and cargo to nearby cities.

The view is great.

Welcome to my backyard
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

You guys married the wrong women.

Note to self: Marry the right woman.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic